DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 05-23-2014, 03:02 AM

Default Alesis Drumsets

Why are Alesis edrumkits so unpopular? I never see proffessionals using Alesis. I usually see Rolands everywhere or Yamahas occasionally. They seem like a decent ekit maker... do any of you know why they are lesser than Rolands, or atleast appear to be?
Old 05-23-2014, 05:04 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Alesis Drumsets

They're not high-end kits, and aren't intended to compete with them. They're entry/mid-level kits, and are attractive because of the price for the quality. In that regard, they're a great value. But everyone is stuck on the Roland and Yamaha names, and won't give Alesis, Kat or 2Box the time of day.

Bermuda
Old 05-24-2014, 06:37 AM

If you're interested in some background to Alesis edrums, check this out at the DMdrummer forum: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=3747.0
It suggests that a deal with Pearl to repurpose the Alesis DM10 module as the Redbox RBM-20 (with 50 extra kits), has limited development of the DM10.
Alesis requested some improvement ideas from DM10 owners, but they are still waiting for a firmware upgrade: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=786.0
Here is some info about a Pearl REDbox V2 firmware update which was expected for the DM10: http://www.hellfiredrums.com/pearl-r...rmware-update/
So if Alesis have managed to alienate their loyal customers then I guess Roland, Yamaha, 2box, etc won't mind at all.
The new Alesis DM10 Mesh kits, DM Dock and Sample Rack (at affordable prices) might improve their popularity.

Last edited by Hansolo; 05-25-2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:53 PM
Silver Member

I have an Alesis DM10. For the price, I don't think they can be beat, reliable hardware that can take a beating. Module isn't too bad either, though it's nowhere on the level of a high end Yamaha or Roland that costs three times as much.

Hook it up to a VST like I do and you will really like it for what it is. A budget e-kit that can be used for practice or studio recording.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggae_Mangle View Post
I have an Alesis DM10. For the price, I don't think they can be beat, reliable hardware that can take a beating. Module isn't too bad either, though it's nowhere on the level of a high end Yamaha or Roland that costs three times as much.

Hook it up to a VST like I do and you will really like it for what it is. A budget e-kit that can be used for practice or studio recording.
What's your opinion on the DM8 vs. the DM10 studio (if you know anything about the DM8)? I'm strongly considering getting a used 1 1/2 year old DM8 for $400 in "excellent" condition. But also considering the Alesis DM10 studio from Zzounds for $799, but I'm not entirely convinced that the quality of the DM10 and the fact that it's new would be worth the extra $400. For one thing, because I'm completely new to e-kits, so any module will be overwhelming and surely enough to satisfy me and get me started.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

Buy a used older Roland kit and it will still be better than the alesis stuff.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:53 AM

I'm a confirmed Roland user, but my first kit was an Alesis. I like the kit sounds, but within a couple of weeks. things started to break: two rubber pads flipped right off (they looked to have been sort of glued on), and the kick drum quit completely. Long story short, i was able to get a complete refund. At the time, a local music store salesman advised me "Please don't buy an alesis from me. It will be back here in no time causing me a headache for a warranty claim!" In other words, the quality just isn't there; you have to pay the bucks to Roland, maybe Yamaha. Get a TD-11KS for around $1000 and upgrade to mesh pads, possible used ones (could cost another $600-$1000). I say TD-11ks becasue it is the low end of mid-range (but upgrade it). Of course, TD-15 and TD-30 offer more but they are the price of a decent used car.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:54 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
But everyone is stuck on the Roland and Yamaha names, and won't give Alesis, Kat or 2Box the time of day.

Bermuda
Not necessarily so- I've heard plenty of longtime Roland users convert to the 2Box cause and if the KAT Pro kit ever comes out (and does half of what it claims) I'll be saying goodbye to Roland too!
http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=4856.0