DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-01-2014, 10:46 PM

Default hi hat stand issue

I just got a new hi hat stand and Im having an odd issue with it. The cymbals dont sit square with each other, meaning there is about a 3/32"-1/8" difference in the positioning. I dont really notice a difference in sound when striking them with a stick when closed but opening and closing sounds dramatically different than my last stand which didnt have this issue. Any one else come across this? I have played on kits before with this but it wasnt noticeable, maybe due to heavier hats(I play 15" lights)? The rod is not bent at all and I dont know what to look for next. I was thinking of trying to fit some sort of sleeve into the tubing to try to maybe center the rod better. Other than that I dont know what the next course of action is. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 05-02-2014, 05:38 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: hi hat stand issue

Assuming you know about angle adjustment on hi-hat stands, and that's not your issue- you could try angling them the opposite way from the difference. If the rod bounces around in the nylon tube while you're playing, a sleeve would be a good idea to keep it in place.

TBH, I've never run into a hi-hat stand that had a tube effectively larger than the actual rod. Maybe a sign of some rushed/cheap design.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:52 AM
Gold Member

If the clutch hole diameter is significantly larger than the rod it fits over this will cause the top hat to be off center by the difference of the two diameters when you tighten the wing nut.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member

It sounds like you just need to adjust the angle of your hats, specifically your bottom hat. That is, if I'm understanding you correctly.

Look under your bottom hat. There should be a little screw sticking out of the base that holds the cymbal. Turn it until the 2 cymbals are a little more level. Not perfectly level though; you won't get much of a "chick" sound that way.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:23 AM

Thanks for the tips. I checked the tilt before I made this thread. The clutch is ok, not a big difference in diameter. This is a Tama Stagemaster. I couldnt justify spending too much on a high hat stand but maybe I should have.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:56 AM
Platinum Member

If your hats don't close exactly on each other it is a non issue.
Actually, it is to your benefit to not have the hats close directly on top of each other. It will prevent a phenomenon known as vacuum lock from delaying the hats slightly when you open them.
I never set the tilter on my hat stand in a way that will allow the cymbals to close directly upon each other.