DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-27-2014, 09:40 PM

Default Cheaper Comfortable Seating

I dont fancy paying crazy UK prices for thrones, and considered using extra layers to pad my generic pearl export throne. Ive started using an office chair at rehearsal which is good, but not for gigs obviously.

Just wondered if anyone uses alternatives like a random venue chair or something else.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Cheaper Comfortable Seating

Why would an office chair not work for gigs? Save for the lack of breaking it down for easier transit, it doesn't take up any more space than a throne does.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsinhisheart View Post
Why would an office chair not work for gigs? Save for the lack of breaking it down for easier transit, it doesn't take up any more space than a throne does.
It takes up considerably more room and i only have a small car.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:02 PM

Forgive my lack of clarity, I meant space at the drum set. For sure it takes up more space in your vehicle.

One thing I have done is modify the typical three or four legged throne with an office chair seat I like. I have never found a drum throne with a back rest I like, so I stay with office chairs, but you can take an office chair seat and mount it to the seat bracket of many drum thrones using T-nuts or something. I've done that. I really dislike drum thrones and always have, so I do what I have to to find comfortable seating behind the set.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:27 PM
Silver Member

Seriously, the ONE thing that you NEVER want to skimp on is a good throne. Just buy a nice throne and it will last for years, and you'll be in great comfort every time you sit down to play. It may be the most important investment for any drummer. I don't care if I'm playing a Pearl Forum series kit or something, but I'll make sure I'm planted on a Roc n Soc Nitro throne. Just spend the extra cash and pick up something nice. If you don't now, once you finally do, you'll be kicking yourself for wasting your money on cheap, uncomfortable thrones when you could have bought a nice one to begin with.

Last edited by TColumbia37; 04-28-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member

A roc n soc is only $160 + postage. That's cheap if you ask me.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsinhisheart View Post
Forgive my lack of clarity, I meant space at the drum set. For sure it takes up more space in your vehicle.

One thing I have done is modify the typical three or four legged throne with an office chair seat I like. I have never found a drum throne with a back rest I like, so I stay with office chairs, but you can take an office chair seat and mount it to the seat bracket of many drum thrones using T-nuts or something. I've done that. I really dislike drum thrones and always have, so I do what I have to to find comfortable seating behind the set.
Ok but how would i be able to break the backrest down for transport so it fits in my bag?
Old 04-29-2014, 12:51 AM

For way under 100 euros, you can get these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Basix-Series...ds=basix+stool

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/stagg-doubl...al-drum-throne

Not exactly god's gift to drummers, but the threaded shafts will not buckle under weight. I weight about 190lbs and have had the Basix for a couple of years. No problem yet.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomasHakkesBrain View Post
Ok but how would i be able to break the backrest down for transport so it fits in my bag?
Depends on the chair. Those that have a large nut which holds the back rest to its track can just be unscrewed all the way. Those which have mechanisms that also have tilting capability, held in place by four bolts ... too much trouble.

I find chairs with simple back rest mechanisms. I also modify the back rests so they aren't too big. I just want something that catches my spine in the most comfortable position, but also small enough so I can just climb right on the chair from behind.

Of course, for the most part I just take my chair and turn it upside down in the passenger seat of my van for transport. If you have a small car and the front seat is being used for a floor tom or something, yeah, I can see it being a hassle.