DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-22-2014, 04:38 AM

Default Evans Hydraulic Blue

These heads are interesting to me. I'm looking for new tom heads and i dont know whether to try these or go with coated heads. Love to hear some input from someone who has used them!
Old 04-22-2014, 04:47 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Evans Hydraulic Blue

If you want that really controlled, thuddy, 70's sound they will do the trick. Tuned up higher they can have a surprising amount of sustain, but it is not a bright sounding head at all.

It just depends on what you want. You mention a coated head, but that covers a lot of territory. Compared to a coated Ambassador, the Hydraulic will sound very dead. Compared to a coated PS4, there won't be so much difference.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
If you want that really controlled, thuddy, 70's sound they will do the trick. Tuned up higher they can have a surprising amount of sustain, but it is not a bright sounding head at all.

It just depends on what you want. You mention a coated head, but that covers a lot of territory. Compared to a coated Ambassador, the Hydraulic will sound very dead. Compared to a coated PS4, there won't be so much difference.
I just read some more reviews and i think i am going with Coated G2's. I am looking for a nice punchy full sound for my toms, and i dont think the Hydraulics will do that for me.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:46 PM

I've used the hydraulic blues before and while they have a deep boomy sound I didn't care for the lack of rebound. They frankly felt dead to me.

On that note I am using EC2's for my tom heads atm, but I'm unhappy with the higher pitch tuning I get from them. Like the Hydralic Blues they also seem to lack stick rebound. They are currently tuned low and sound fine with a slight amount of reverb, but lack rebound making double strokes very difficult on anything past my 10" tom. Would using Evans G1 or G2 solve this? I have G1's on the underside as a reso head.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:43 AM
Silver Member

I find that they work well on toms in non close mic set ups in small to Medium clubs. Denis