DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-14-2014, 12:05 PM

Default Beaters

I have some drum sticks which are beaters on the opposite side allowing me to quickly switch between them both, however I rarely do.

The beaters are quite hard so I am wondering if I got some dedicated "proper" beaters, they would sound better and produce a softer sound when striking? I'm not really in a position to get to a store to see the difference.

The stick/beaters are "Percussion Plus" branded.

Thanks
Old 04-14-2014, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Beaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheruser View Post
I have some drum sticks which are beaters on the opposite side allowing me to quickly switch between them both, however I rarely do.

The beaters are quite hard so I am wondering if I got some dedicated "proper" beaters, they would sound better and produce a softer sound when striking? I'm not really in a position to get to a store to see the difference.

The stick/beaters are "Percussion Plus" branded.

Thanks
I had a pair of the Dennis Chambers sticks Zildjian produced which were felt at one end, beater at the other. For me it felt weird because the beater interfered with where I held the stick. In terms of sound, the beater was quite small. I prefer to use mallets which are suited for purpose and sticks for playing.

An analogy I like is the combo washing machine and tumbledryer. Compromises have to be made in order to get it to function for both uses. But if you had a seperate washing machine and seperate tumbledryer, they would work better as they are fit for a specific purpose, if that makes sense?
Old 04-14-2014, 01:47 PM

Yes, I get that and a good analogy.
Don't want to spend loads but I might stick some in the trolley and not think about the price :) I'll probably get them now and not use them for months!
Old 04-14-2014, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

If you want some softer mallets (as they are called), there are a million places online producing low-price marimba/orchestral mallets for students. Swizzle sticks (snare sticks with felt beaters on the butt end) often have harder felt than is desirable for cymbalwork out of necessity. Whatever actual mallets are softest will probably work fine, like these Innovative Percussion Fundamental series F1.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:59 PM

I'll order some softer ones.