DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 05-04-2006, 12:06 AM

Default Re: My New Luddies

Thanks again to everyone on the cool comments, I am glad everyone likes the kit!
Old 05-04-2006, 12:21 AM
millerdakiller

ooh wow. just wow

20 of dem bitches
Old 05-05-2006, 06:01 AM
Johnny Ringo

Yeah, nothing like American made LUDWIGS! I'd love to get a new one to go with my 60's kit, oh well maybe someday, great kit.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
Yeah, nothing like American made LUDWIGS! I'd love to get a new one to go with my 60's kit, oh well maybe someday, great kit.
I agree, I love Ludwig's. I think maybe you should post some pictures of your 60's Ludwig's it would be cool to see them!
Old 05-11-2006, 05:49 AM
Johnny Ringo

They are posted under My Luddies, the pictures didn't come out as clear as yours, need a new camera.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:38 AM

Man, i have just ordered mine and I can't wait until they get here. I didn't get the green sparkle though. I'll post pics when it comes in. That is a gorgeous set.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themac5150
Man, i have just ordered mine and I can't wait until they get here. I didn't get the green sparkle though. I'll post pics when it comes in. That is a gorgeous set.
...dont leave us hanging here son, what colour did you get?

Word.

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15840
Old 05-11-2006, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboKnife
...dont leave us hanging here son, what colour did you get?
Not yet! i'll post 'em when they get here! I was torn between alot of the different colors. The green sparkle was one of them. I wanted the Bonham set, but many seem to get the green sparkle or natural maple. Frankie Banali's site is pretty cool, 'cause he has the most diverse actual drum set colors i could find on the web, and he's a Ludwig nut. I did settle on a wrap finish. This is going to have to last me for a long time, and durability was an issue. I loved some of the lacquer finishes, but when those get damaged, its more costly to repair than a rewrap. But....looking at these pics of the green really make me wish....oh well. I'll be more than happy to show them off when they get here!!
Old 05-11-2006, 02:38 PM

hope the kit didnt get dirty :P nice finish and i know it sounds great ;)
Old 05-13-2006, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2d-chris
hope the kit didnt get dirty :P nice finish and i know it sounds great ;)
I was definately careful when I took those pictures, the grass was dry. I just thought it would be cool to see that finish in the sun light so that the sparkle finish would just explode with light reflecting in it!
Old 05-14-2006, 01:54 AM

Yeah, uh, I HATE YOU!

That kit is absolutely great.

- Marc
Old 05-14-2006, 04:38 AM
Gold Member

WOW! can anyone tell who he wishes he was? haha nice drums. and cool color.

Myspace-Add me!
Old 05-14-2006, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollymosher
WOW! can anyone tell who he wishes he was? haha nice drums. and cool color.
Thanks! For awhile green sparkle was a finish you didn't see to often, but now it seems pretty popular. I have always liked it ever since I was a kid, my high school had all green sparkle bass drums and snare drums back in the 80's when the sparkle finishes were not very popular. They were old Ludwig drums that they got surplus, ever since then I always thought it would look cool on a kit. But for years no one offered this finish, I finally have my dream kit!
Old 05-15-2006, 08:38 PM

You just can't beat good ole Bonham style Luddies! I've played this classic configuration my entire life as a drummer although my set-ups were more inspired by Mitch Mitchell and Carl Palmer (in his early days) than by John Bonham.Recently my wife bought me the classic Ringo Starr kit with two floor toms,so I can feel your joy each time you pick your sticks to play your lovely kit.I like the green finish too.Isn't life grand?
Old 05-17-2006, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenvannin105
You just can't beat good ole Bonham style Luddies! I've played this classic configuration my entire life as a drummer although my set-ups were more inspired by Mitch Mitchell and Carl Palmer (in his early days) than by John Bonham.Recently my wife bought me the classic Ringo Starr kit with two floor toms,so I can feel your joy each time you pick your sticks to play your lovely kit.I like the green finish too.Isn't life grand?
It is so true! I play my drums everyday, and when it is time to play them I can't wait! These drums are so comfortable to play, and the sound is incredible! I hope you enjoy your kit too! Thanks for the comments.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:04 AM

Wow amazing, just amazing you got all the Bonzo sizes. How did you ever come across this?Do you know where i can get one?How much did you pay for it?
Old 05-20-2006, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo91
Wow amazing, just amazing you got all the Bonzo sizes. How did you ever come across this?Do you know where i can get one?How much did you pay for it?
I bought these drums new from Bandland Percussion Center in Clarksburg, W.V. in October 2005. When I found out the Ludwig reissued green sparkle I knew that is what I had to get. So I just ordered the Bonham sizes becuase that is the configuration that I have been playing for about 20 years now. It listed a little over $1800.00 without hardware except for the tom mount. There phone number is (304)622-1171 ask for Larry he gave me a good deal. I also opted for the cymbal arm mounted on the bass drum which was an extra $75.00 well worth it! Good Luck!
P.S. After my trade in I actually paid $848.00
Old 05-20-2006, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmckay
I bought these drums new from Bandland Percussion Center in Clarksburg, W.V. in October 2005. When I found out the Ludwig reissued green sparkle I knew that is what I had to get. So I just ordered the Bonham sizes becuase that is the configuration that I have been playing for about 20 years now. It listed a little over $1800.00 without hardware except for the tom mount. There phone number is (304)622-1171 ask for Larry he gave me a good deal. I also opted for the cymbal arm mounted on the bass drum which was an extra $75.00 well worth it! Good Luck!
P.S. After my trade in I actually paid $848.00
Wow thats incredible thanks alot for the number il call.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:14 AM

Looks like you set that up in a Bonham style. Great set-up, love the finish. Sweet kit.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:02 PM

wow.. that is a sweet kit! you must be very proud of it!
the setup, the finish, everything..: very nice!
Old 05-20-2006, 12:47 PM
nhzoso

Very very nice, When I get a little better at playing I intend on getting one of these kits. Hopefully in a year or 2.

If you wanted to could you buy a 12" or 13" tom to add to it?
Old 05-21-2006, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso
Very very nice, When I get a little better at playing I intend on getting one of these kits. Hopefully in a year or 2.

I dont think it's possible to do that to a Drum package (assuming thats a package). You'd have to order everything custom.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso

Yes, this kit was not a Bonham reissue kit. Therefore you can get this finish in all the sizes that Ludwig offers. I ordered this kit in these particular sizes because I prefer oversized drums and this configuration.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.wega
wow.. that is a sweet kit! you must be very proud of it!
the setup, the finish, everything..: very nice!
Thank you for your comments. Yes I am very proud of my kit, I have played out with it about eight times now and other drummers just come up and drool over it. It is kind of a good feeling! I get a lot of comments about the bass drum, just how powerful it is and how it cuts through everything so well but is not overbearing. It is a really fun kit to play!
Old 05-21-2006, 01:13 PM

Just curious, how long did it take to get them from the time you ordered until you received those beauties? I ask because i'm waiting on mine to come in!
Old 05-21-2006, 01:21 PM
Silver Member

That finish is stunning. Beautiful kit. Nice cymbals too.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themac5150
Just curious, how long did it take to get them from the time you ordered until you received those beauties? I ask because i'm waiting on mine to come in!
I got the tom, bass drum, and floor toms in around 7 1/2 weeks. The snare drum actually took awhile because they were having chrome plating issues. The salesman that I dealt with said that Ludwig was very sorry for the delay and kept him informed fairly well on the progress. It was all well worth the wait! The drums are incredible, I think you will enjoy your kit very much. You should get your snare pretty quick, whatever the issue was with the chrome plating has been taken care of. Definately post pictures when you get them. What finish and sizes did you get?
Old 05-23-2006, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerboy3940
That finish is stunning. Beautiful kit. Nice cymbals too.
Thanks for the comments! The two Paiste 2002 crashes you see are 18" med crash and a 20" med crash. The first Paiste's I have ever owned and they won't be the last, I love these cymbals. By far the best sounding crash cymbals I have ever owned. The 20" crash actually has great response for such a large cymbal. You should try them out.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:05 AM

Quote:
What finish and sizes did you get?
I ordered the wrapped zep set shell pack. I'll just post the pics of the color when it gets here. The only real difference is the zep set kit says it comes with the 12 x 14 instead of the 10 x 14, i think that's what i read you have. That is fine with me, i have no problem putting it on a snare stand. I already have the bass mount cymbal holder, so that'll go on as soon as they get here. Going to have to save up for the 2002's if i decide to go with them. I looked into some of the alpha series, but i haven't found very much information about them. I want some decent cymbals to go with it, and the alphas sound good to me on the paiste site, but i can't seem to find any locally to actually hear them. I was actually looking into the vistalite reissues, but decided against those on because of durability concerns alone. I contacted the dealer i ordered from and they said they were running 12 weeks for these but delivering in 8-10. I was hoping, that just maybe (with fingers crossed) that was a worst case estimate. I'll just have to suffer with the anticipation!

Oh yeah, i meant to ask about the memory lock. Do you happen to know what part# that is? I assume it would also work with the floor toms, 'cause i really hate having to adjust those every single time. I've searched but can't find any info on which ones to get.

Last edited by themac5150; 05-23-2006 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:38 AM

Definately go with the Paiste 2002 series, these are the best cymbals I have ever used. When you find a Paiste dealer near you try out a 20" med crash 2002, this cymbal just sounds amazing. It is now my favorite cymbal that I own.
About the memory lock, I could not find a part # for you. But it is the same memory lock used for the floor tom legs, and I'm pretty sure it is the same size for the tom mount. If you go to your local Ludwig dealer they should have all of the parts that you need. But it works very well on the cymbal arm, just an extra precaution to prevent the cymbal stand from sliding from side to side. Good Luck!
Old 05-25-2006, 03:11 PM

What kind of stock heads did the Ludwigs come with?

Word.

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15840
Old 05-26-2006, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboKnife
What kind of stock heads did the Ludwigs come with?
They came with the Ludwig Coated Heavy on the batter side, and Ludwig Coated Medium on the bottom. On the bass drum it came with Ludwig Smooth White Heavy Power Collar on the batter side, and Ludwig Smooth White Medium Power Collar on the resonant side. The snare drum came with the Ludwig Coated Heavy on the batter side, and a standard Ludwig Snare Head on the bottom. The salesman that I dealt with gave me the option of what heads I wanted, and these were the heads that I chose. Since then I have replaced everything with Remo Coated Emperors, Remo Coated Ambassadors, except for the bass drum I am still using the stock heads.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:16 PM

Put a rail consolette on the bass for the tom,
that's the finishing touch.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:22 AM

I wanted to keep my bass drum a virgin, I don't want to drill any holes in it. Also with my size it is much more comfortable to mount the tom off of the cymbal stand. This allows me to move the bass drum out further so that I can get my long legs behind the kit.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:30 AM

I hooked up with a singer, and her manager is in Nashville. They love my kit they think it's really cool and perfect for the music she is doing because it is pretty up beat drivin' stuff. I am thinking of getting different heads on them that have a more focused sound. What do you guys recommend?
Old 06-08-2006, 08:09 AM

Very nice kit and Lawn I wish I had a lawn like that
Old 06-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Gold Member

Beautiful kit man, I'd love to hear them wailed on in a big ambient room. If you pull the computer monitor close to your ear and listen real close...you can almost hear ..."when the levee breaks"...great drums dude!
Old 06-09-2006, 12:54 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by relyc
Man, green sparkle is HOT.
I do have one question though, why did you decide to suspend
your rack tom instead of doing the complete Bonham- i.e. mounting it in a snare stand?

Just curious...

LOVE your kit.
cheers.

this is the complete bonham....bonham only used a snare stand on 1 set....his first ludwig classic maple...he didnt use it on the green sparkle nor the vistalite nor the steel
Old 06-09-2006, 01:31 AM

Quote:
I hooked up with a singer, and her manager is in Nashville. They love my kit they think it's really cool and perfect for the music she is doing because it is pretty up beat drivin' stuff. I am thinking of getting different heads on them that have a more focused sound. What do you guys recommend?
That kit is just beautiful, an absolute classic. As far as heads go for a focused sound, you should consider black dots or maybe pinstripes.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:34 AM
Pioneer Member

Nice set. i c once more we have a bonham fan. I rarely see a green sparkle, but its really nice.