DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 04-10-2014, 06:31 PM
Banned

Default Like I need this...

The highway that I drive on every day has had 13 random shootings in the last two months, no one has been killed yet - KC police believe there is a sniper on the loose. Now I have to find a different way to work that will add 20 minutes to my commute! The police are offering a $7000 reward for info leading to the capture - 7 grand is all? Sheesh...

http://www.ozarksfirst.com/story/d/s...FEmyeuMyzf9VMg

The article's headline says 6 shootings but the article itself cites 13 shootings... good times.

MM
Old 04-10-2014, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Like I need this...

That's creepy stuff. Pretty big news, but I haven't heard/seen anything about it here on the east coast. I guess too busy talking about Putin and the false airplane blips and Oscar Pistorius. Brings back memories of the I-95 snipers a few years back (Malvo and whatever the other guy's name was). That was my neck-o-the-woods. And where they caught them was practically spitting distance from my sister-in-law's. Stay safe Bro.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member

Agreed. Be vigilant and stay safe out there!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:37 PM
Banned

This stuff combined with the school shootings and now stabbings - I predict a new psychological disorder - PTSD - not POST traumatic stress disorder but PRE traumatic stress disorder. People are going to be so afraid to drive on highways or send their kids to schools, or attend theaters for fear of being killed.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtliquid View Post
That's creepy stuff. Pretty big news, but I haven't heard/seen anything about it here on the east coast. I guess too busy talking about Putin and the false airplane blips and Oscar Pistorius. Brings back memories of the I-95 snipers a few years back (Malvo and whatever the other guy's name was). That was my neck-o-the-woods. And where they caught them was practically spitting distance from my sister-in-law's. Stay safe Bro.
It was John Allen Muhammed...........complete POS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_In_KC View Post
This stuff combined with the school shootings and now stabbings - I predict a new psychological disorder - PTSD - not POST traumatic stress disorder but PRE traumatic stress disorder. People are going to be so afraid to drive on highways or send their kids to schools, or attend theaters for fear of being killed.
Getting crazy
Old 04-12-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtliquid View Post

jokes aside, Oscar doesn't have a leg to stand on...
Old 04-12-2014, 06:23 PM
"Uncle Larry"

When your time is up, it's up. I refuse to be paralyzed by worry. If it is destined for me to die by a sniper, so be it. I have no control over that. Meanwhile, I'm going to enjoy what I can. Your spirit and energy doesn't die when your body gives out.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

Perhaps you should invest in a Kevlar vest. Or an APC.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:43 PM
Gold Member

Do you have a motorcycle? It would reduce your target size significantly, you can "hide" beside bigger vehicles, and would serve as a good hi speed get me out of here vehicle.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:54 AM

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in..._river_default

We had this a couple of years ago. I didn't care about myself. But I feared for my kids.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member

This stuff (thankfully) is utterly alien to me, & quite unbelievable. Why would anyone want to do that?

Agreed though, letting something like this shape what you do, is to be avoided if at all possible. Granted, difficult to ignore though :(
Old 04-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
This stuff (thankfully) is utterly alien to me, & quite unbelievable. Why would anyone want to do that?

Agreed though, letting something like this shape what you do, is to be avoided if at all possible. Granted, difficult to ignore though :(
How many gun deaths in England annually? I have no use for gun. For hunting, protection, etc. I don't get it. I enjoy being manly in other ways :)
Old 04-15-2014, 10:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
How many gun deaths in England annually? I have no use for gun. For hunting, protection, etc. I don't get it. I enjoy being manly in other ways :)
More people die in automobile related instances each year in the US than guns. Do you own a car? A gun is safer.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:05 AM
Silver Member

Sorry, but that conclusion does not follow logically. Just consider the amount of time Americans spend in cars per year compared to using firearms. If we were to simply add up the total number of deaths caused by something per year we'd erroneously conclude that swallowing arsenic is safer because fewer people die that way.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:49 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFiore View Post
Sorry, but that conclusion does not follow logically. Just consider the amount of time Americans spend in cars per year compared to using firearms. If we were to simply add up the total number of deaths caused by something per year we'd erroneously conclude that swallowing arsenic is safer because fewer people die that way.
It is a statistical fact. Not only do more people die from automobile related deaths each year, there are more registered firearms than registered vehicles in the US. Just about everyone I know owns both, with gun ownership higher in each individual. They have all been involved in some sort of vehicle related accident, with two of them losing their lives. I only know one person who was in a firearm related incident, and that was self inflicted.

Guns are not bad. Stupid people with guns are bad. Yet responsible people with cars can inadvertently kill someone, and do everyday, but we don't see this as bad. Don't blame the machine, blame the operator.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
When your time is up, it's up. I refuse to be paralyzed by worry. If it is destined for me to die by a sniper, so be it. I have no control over that. Meanwhile, I'm going to enjoy what I can. Your spirit and energy doesn't die when your body gives out.
Noooooooo! We will not tolerate that kind of free thinking attitude. You must live in FEAR!

I fear no mortal man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post

Well, metaphorically speaking, when you invite a vampire into your home, don't be surprised if it wants to suck all your blood. Its not going to change its ways just because you were nice to it. It's a vampire.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
It is a statistical fact.
I didn't say it wasn't a fact, it's a non sequitur and the conclusion does not follow from the premise. It is also a fact that orders of magnitude fewer people die from swallowing arsenic than die from firearms. That does not make it safer. Also, the plural of anecdote is not data. What you and I have experienced personally are necessarily the statistical norms. What I have experienced in this area is not the same as what you have but I am not going to claim that mine is the norm. We have dispassionate statistics for that. If we look at man-hour usage rates versus death, we find the exact opposite of your conclusion. I don't wish to get into an argument over this and will just point out that we need to make an apples to apples comparison.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:33 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFiore View Post
I don't wish to get into an argument over this
Nor do I.

I don't really think I matters anyhow, as Uncle Larry stated, when your time is up, its up.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:44 PM
Banned

Another one of those stupid operators struck in my home town again recently - this time a few minutes away from my house.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/15/us/kan...nter-shooting/

The recent shooting at the Jewish Community center, combined with the sniper still on the loose has made our normally peaceful mid-west city one giant jagged edge.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_In_KC View Post
Another one of those stupid operators struck in my home town again recently - this time a few minutes away from my house.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/15/us/kan...nter-shooting/

The recent shooting at the Jewish Community center, combined with the sniper still on the loose has made our normally peaceful mid-west city one giant jagged edge.
I saw that and was wondering if maybe it is the same guy. The reports didn't mention anything about a connection. I wonder if they have even considered it?
Old 04-16-2014, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
I saw that and was wondering if maybe it is the same guy. The reports didn't mention anything about a connection. I wonder if they have even considered it?
The thought had not even crossed my mind.... but yeah you'd think the police would look into it at least...
Old 04-16-2014, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

The article I read stated the police didn't think the incidents were related.

I thought, "Great, now these guys have to worry about 2 lunatics?!" I'm just up the road from you in Omaha and I travel that road a few times a year. Hopefully this guy gets taken care of quickly.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
The article I read stated the police didn't think the incidents were related.

I thought, "Great, now these guys have to worry about 2 lunatics?!" I'm just up the road from you in Omaha and I travel that road a few times a year. Hopefully this guy gets taken care of quickly.
Well at least they have the one lunatic in custody. Finding the other might not be so easy. I do hope they find him soon though, for safety and sanity's sake.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:56 PM
Administrator

GRANDVIEW, Mo. -- Police arrested a suspect Thursday in a string of random vehicle shootings on Kansas City-area highways over the past few weeks that have wounded three motorists and frightened many more.
Police Chief Darryl Forte said at a news conference that the suspect is male and lives in Grandview, a suburb south of the city that is home to the Grandview Triangle, where several highways intersect and where at least six of the reported shootings happened.
Forte didn't release the name or age of the suspect, saying he hoped to be able to discuss the case in further detail at a news conference Friday.
"We're here now to basically let people know someone has been apprehended," an upbeat Forte told reporters at an impromptu news conference about 50 yards from a house where the suspect was taken into custody earlier in the day. "I wanted to make sure the residents and those who travel through Kansas City know they're safe. They've been safe the whole time."
Investigators could be seen searching the single-story four-plex Thursday night, and a tow truck hauled away a green Dodge Neon that was parked behind the house, which is about two blocks from U.S. 49 and south of the Grandview Triangle.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
GRANDVIEW, Mo. -- Police arrested a suspect Thursday in a string of random vehicle shootings on Kansas City-area highways over the past few weeks that have wounded three motorists and frightened many more.
Police Chief Darryl Forte said at a news conference that the suspect is male and lives in Grandview, a suburb south of the city that is home to the Grandview Triangle, where several highways intersect and where at least six of the reported shootings happened.
Forte didn't release the name or age of the suspect, saying he hoped to be able to discuss the case in further detail at a news conference Friday.
"We're here now to basically let people know someone has been apprehended," an upbeat Forte told reporters at an impromptu news conference about 50 yards from a house where the suspect was taken into custody earlier in the day. "I wanted to make sure the residents and those who travel through Kansas City know they're safe. They've been safe the whole time."
Investigators could be seen searching the single-story four-plex Thursday night, and a tow truck hauled away a green Dodge Neon that was parked behind the house, which is about two blocks from U.S. 49 and south of the Grandview Triangle.
I hope they have the right guy! There will be a huge collective sigh when and if they confirm this is the dude. Thanks for the update GD.

MM