DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-29-2014, 03:41 PM

Default Acoustic foam placement.

So add the title suggests I need help with acoustic foam, I practice with my band in my basement, which has very bad echo, and you can hear the band from the second floor of my house, so I'm planning on buying acoustic foam for the echo, but my question is if I place acoustic foam on the ceiling of the basement will that decrease the amount of sound reaches the two floors above the basement?
Old 04-29-2014, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Acoustic foam placement.

You're confusing room treatment with sound absorption. It's a pretty common mistake.

Acoustic foam, packing blankets, bass traps, etc. all make the room sound better to the people inside of the room, but does almost nothing to prevent the sound from leaving the room.

If your primary goal is to deaden the room and prevent echoes and overtones then the acoustic foam will help (thick packing blankets would be cheaper and cover more area for the price). If you have problems with low end frequencies building up and overpowering everything (standing waves), then homemade bass traps in the corners might help too. Positioning the instruments/amps also helps with that sort of thing.

Perhaps once you get the room treated so that it sounds better, you would find that you don't need to play as loud in order to be heard. This might lead you to turn down the volume a bit and play more dynamically. Just because the amps go up to 10 (or maybe 11) doesn't mean that you have to play that loud all the time.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:19 PM

For sound dampening/absorption, only a combination of mass and isolation will help with that. There are some things that you can do to lessen the sound traveling upstairs, but short of building a "room within a room" and spending thousands of dollars there really isn't anything that can completely isolate your basement from the rest of the house.

You might be able to replace the ceiling in the basement, using a "floating wall" concept to decouple the ceiling from the underlayer above, and use sound deadboard, green glue, etc. You also have to look at all methods for the sound waves to travel out, so you could spend thousands on the ceiling only to find out that the sound waves are getting out through the air conditioning vents.

People have done it, it all depends on what your goals are and how much you have to spend.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

Because you say "very bad echo" I'm assuming you need acoustic treatment in the basement first. Probably the least expensive effective treatment is to make your own absorbers. Get some rigid fiberglass (like Owens-Corning 703 in 2'x4' sections), wrap it in loudspeaker cloth and hang them on the walls (and especially in the corners). Here's a short blog entry I made a couple years ago about how to build your own:
http://chimprefuge.com/2011/01/29/diy-bass-trap/

As mentioned, this won't do anything for sound transmission to the upper floors. That will take serious planning and work to be effective.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:17 PM
Senior Consultant

Good solid advice given so far.

I found that bass traps make an enormous difference in a rectangular or square room. I made mine out of 4" Rockwool. Place them across the corners, floor to ceiling at a 45 degree angle.