DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-24-2014, 02:46 PM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, CA
Posts: 3,239
Default Attack heads are for real

I recently put a set 12/13/16 of 1-ply Attack heads and studio rings on the GP drums that I use with the garage band. I have to say, these heads are sounding great so far. Couldn't be more happier, and this is a Groove Percussion set no less.

I got my Tama set at the studio and it has coated Emps on the 12/13/16 toms. They're over a year old and I'm thinking of changing them out. I could just replace the Emps with more Emps since I like that sound, but because I read this website, I have all these other ideas floating around in my head. I really want to try the Black Chrome on my Tama kit too. But now, after playing these Attack heads, the practical side of me thinks that the price is right (about half that of BC's) and Attack heads are the way to go.

I haven't tried the Attack coated batter on a snare yet, but the 1-ply clear heads work great with studio rings (I prefer that sound with the rings). I was only considering the BC's because I think I need something a little darker with more punch than what the Emps provide. However, the Attack heads give me that sound I like, and for half the price, I can live with it.

So what are your experiences with Attack heads, or even Black Chrome heads? Just curious.
__________________
5A Sticks--Coated Heads--Acoustic Drums--Cast Bronze Cymbals--Heavy-Duty Hardware
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-24-2014, 05:27 PM
Yoshinya Yoshinya is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA
Posts: 115
Default Re: Attack heads are for real

I've given Attack a go many times in the past and I can honestly say - you get what you pay for. They tuned up just fine, and they definitely have a somewhat Remo-like tonality to them, if you like that. I've historically preferred Aquarian and Evans, tonally.

However, the durability seems to be an issue. I tried a myriad of Attack's 14" snare heads (regular medium weight, Terry Bozzio Signature, and Jeff Ocheltree Old School) on my go-to snare (14" x 5.5" Tama Starclassic Maple with re-rings). The coating wore considerably after 15 minutes of moderate-level playing on the regular medium-weight coated. Not to mention, the coating rubbed off onto all of my clear tom heads and cymbals. Never had an issue with that with Remo, Evans or Aquarian's coating.

I switched it out for the Bozzio head. I thought it sounded a little better, overall, but the coating issue remained the same for that... and with the Ocheltree Old School.

After realizing that the coating just wasn't going to last on any of them, I put the medium weight back on, got it back in tune and went about my merry way of playing. After a couple days, all the life and tone went out of that head... and I did NOT play it that much.

I concluded that, for me, this experiment proved that while Attack is nearly 1/2 the price of the Big 3, I would have to change them out more frequently to get the amount of tone I want to get out of my Tama Starclassic Maple kit.

Your mileage may vary.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-24-2014, 05:31 PM
Yoshinya Yoshinya is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA
Posts: 115
Default Re: Attack heads are for real

Also, if you like a low, dark, almost thuddy sound, I think the Black Chromes aren't a horrible choice. They're certainly more lively than, say, a Hydraulic. I'd personally go for a set of clear or coated EC2s, or Onyx (they only come in coated), so they still sound like drums and not a bunch of boxy-sounding objects you hit with sticks.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-24-2014, 05:48 PM
Emmaticus00's Avatar
Emmaticus00 Emmaticus00 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 309
Default Re: Attack heads are for real

Here's a really good Black Chrome demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btrh8M-dh74

I personally really like my Onyx's. That's saying something because I don't like coated heads.

Also, on topic, one of my bass drums came with an Attack single ply head with built in muffling. I've been think about the EMAD Heavyweight but the Attack sounds too good.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry chair View Post
Because I could make that happen...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-24-2014, 08:51 PM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, CA
Posts: 3,239
Default Re: Attack heads are for real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshinya View Post
I've given Attack a go many times in the past and I can honestly say - you get what you pay for. They tuned up just fine, and they definitely have a somewhat Remo-like tonality to them, if you like that. I've historically preferred Aquarian and Evans, tonally.

However, the durability seems to be an issue. I tried a myriad of Attack's 14" snare heads (regular medium weight, Terry Bozzio Signature, and Jeff Ocheltree Old School) on my go-to snare (14" x 5.5" Tama Starclassic Maple with re-rings). The coating wore considerably after 15 minutes of moderate-level playing on the regular medium-weight coated. Not to mention, the coating rubbed off onto all of my clear tom heads and cymbals. Never had an issue with that with Remo, Evans or Aquarian's coating.

I switched it out for the Bozzio head. I thought it sounded a little better, overall, but the coating issue remained the same for that... and with the Ocheltree Old School.

After realizing that the coating just wasn't going to last on any of them, I put the medium weight back on, got it back in tune and went about my merry way of playing. After a couple days, all the life and tone went out of that head... and I did NOT play it that much.

I concluded that, for me, this experiment proved that while Attack is nearly 1/2 the price of the Big 3, I would have to change them out more frequently to get the amount of tone I want to get out of my Tama Starclassic Maple kit.

Your mileage may vary.
Interesting. I'm glad I asked. I don't like it when we spend all that money for coated heads and the coating comes off too quick. That's why I don't use coated Ambs on my snare anymore.

I wouldn't say that the Attack heads have worn out yet, but they only get played about 4-5 hours per week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshinya View Post
Also, if you like a low, dark, almost thuddy sound, I think the Black Chromes aren't a horrible choice. They're certainly more lively than, say, a Hydraulic. I'd personally go for a set of clear or coated EC2s, or Onyx (they only come in coated), so they still sound like drums and not a bunch of boxy-sounding objects you hit with sticks.
I've tried EC2's before. I'm not a big fan. They are OK, but it's a generic drum sound to me. I may just go with the Black Chrome after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaticus00 View Post
Here's a really good Black Chrome demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btrh8M-dh74

I personally really like my Onyx's. That's saying something because I don't like coated heads.

Also, on topic, one of my bass drums came with an Attack single ply head with built in muffling. I've been think about the EMAD Heavyweight but the Attack sounds too good.
Can't see the video at work, dang it. The Onyx are a good idea too, but I want to try the BC'c first because they have a clear ply over the black one. That means no black marks on my cymbals.
__________________
5A Sticks--Coated Heads--Acoustic Drums--Cast Bronze Cymbals--Heavy-Duty Hardware
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-25-2014, 03:05 AM
Skyking's Avatar
Skyking Skyking is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Carmel, Indiana
Posts: 140
Default Re: Attack heads are for real

I tried single ply Attacks on my toms and I liked 'em. In fact I liked them better than all of the others (too many to list) that I tried on my toms. They were durable and tuned easy. Best of all was the sound... bright very bright.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-25-2014, 03:57 AM
Drumsinhisheart's Avatar
Drumsinhisheart Drumsinhisheart is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SW VA
Posts: 475
Default Re: Attack heads are for real

I tried Attack years ago after playing Evans for awhile. I switched because of their prices, but I love the sound, they wear great, and I have never had an issue with 1-ply coated head on my snares. The coating lasts and lasts. It's a different coating than Remo uses. It seems like it is not a coating at all, but is part of the head itself.

I still use Evans black resos on my toms. If Attack made black ones I'd use them.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-25-2014, 04:08 AM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, CA
Posts: 3,239
Default Re: Attack heads are for real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking View Post
I tried single ply Attacks on my toms and I liked 'em. In fact I liked them better than all of the others (too many to list) that I tried on my toms. They were durable and tuned easy. Best of all was the sound... bright very bright.
Now that you mention it, I think I remember you saying so in another thread. It is the sound that makes these great heads. I've not had a durability issue yet, but I don't hit quite as hard as a lot of other guys. I think I try the Black Chromes once though because I want to try them at least once. I've never had black heads before, and I think they look cool as well, but I wouldn't try them unless I liked the sound too. You say the Attack heads are really bright, which is interesting because with the sound rings, I think they are a little darker and punchier than the coated Emps I use. That's what drew me to the Black Chrome heads. I'm also considering Response 2 heads, but I'm afraid they may not be much different than the Emps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaticus00 View Post
Here's a really good Black Chrome demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btrh8M-dh74
Yes, I saw this video last week in fact. I liked the sound I heard. They sound great to me. I like the tone with the short sustain, and like I said, the punchy sound is what I'm after, not the classic singing drum sound. To me, that type of sound is reserved for high-end drums like Gurus.
__________________
5A Sticks--Coated Heads--Acoustic Drums--Cast Bronze Cymbals--Heavy-Duty Hardware
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com