DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-08-2014, 05:23 PM

Default Need help choosing drum head for drum solo

Hi,

I am in my final year of a music degree in Brighton, I have a 20 minute drum solo exam coming up, and want to replace both my snare heads, I am doing a dynamic solo, involving lots of percussion and world elements, so I want something that is nice and open but can also deliver a mighty thwack! when I need it, something that sounds interesting and musical, but could also be played in a pop/rock setting if I wanted it to.

Thanks,

Luke
Old 05-08-2014, 05:28 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Need help choosing drum head for drum solo

Evans G12? It's a single ply 12mil head, instead of the usual 10mil of Evans G1, or Remo ambassador. They are very similar of course, but the G12 feels a bit softer, as well as sounding more full.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Evans G2 is double 7 ply, and Evans also makes a G14. You wont break that. I assumed for a snare solo there might be some parts requiring quieter more sensitive playing and for that I would recommend an Evans Genera HD Dry head
Old 05-08-2014, 06:35 PM
Silver Member

Really, the best all around 'do everything' snare head is just a single ply 10mil coated head, like a G1 or an Ambassador. If you're just changing your head for the sake of the exam, you won't have to worry about breaking a thin head. Heck, I've never broken one, and I've definitely punished them a lot.

But for something like that, you want resonance that will work with you, and the thicker the head, the less you'll have. Especially with HD Dry heads. They say Dry for a reason.

As for your snare side, nothing beats a hazy 3mil head, or similar.

And for the record, they'll probably be scoring you based on your playing, rather than your tone, so you don't have to worry so much about getting the perfect sound for every individual aspect of it.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjogras View Post
Evans G12? It's a single ply 12mil head, instead of the usual 10mil of Evans G1, or Remo ambassador. They are very similar of course, but the G12 feels a bit softer, as well as sounding more full.
Recommended as well (Remo's version is the Ambassador X). I wouldn't recommend a Genera HD Dry for much, honestly, for the reason TC talked about above. Not a lot of tone there.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Black dots, man. Black dots.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

If you are using a metal snare, then I would recommend a 2 mil snare side head. A diplomat snare side or a Hazy/Clear 200.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:48 AM
Silver Member

We need to understand the presentation a little more. When you say 20 minutes of solo, are you talking about a work that might be more in line with a classical approach?
Are you talking very loud to very soft dynamics? Most of the guys here are set drummers, so they think along set drumming lines, which is fine. If your solo is a little more classical in nature (what are you playing?) you might want more of a concert sound for very crisp articulation and wide dynamic response. In that case, a 2 Mil snare side, like a hazy diplomat, and a diplomat or Ambassador Rennaisance will give that crisp articulation and sensitivity that you might need. Also I would add Puresound 12 strand concert snares for that dry, articulate, crisp sound. Is it a modern jazzy piece? A coated ambassador will fit the bill, with 16-20 wire standard snares. You need to match to the piece, and the sound that you need for it.