DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-22-2014, 03:45 AM

Default Black suede emperor with coated ambassadors

Ive bought a full set of remo black suede emperors, but I have also bought a remo coated ambassador for my snare drum, just to keep it nice and classic!

I was wondering if the coating from the ambassador will come off onto my sticks and marr up my black suedes, I just want to keep them looking nice for a few photos. yes ill be taking pictures before I even ever play it, but I would like to know if after i play for five minutes, the heads will not be of picture perfect quality. I had a pearl protone snare head before, and that coating came off very very easily, and marked up all my cymbals.

if you have used any coated heads in combination with the black suede finished heads, please let me know what happened! If it marks up really easily, i MAY end up getting a black suede ambassador on the snare, but ive heard it mutes the drumm a bit, like is has moon gel on it, and I never never ever muffle drums, not even my bass drum ever has anything in it or on it.

Also i think id like the look of everything black, but a white snare, sounds classy to me!

so if youve ever used this combo of finishes please let me know how it turned out! thanks!
Old 05-22-2014, 04:55 AM

Default Re: Black suede emperor with coated ambassadors

Hmm not sure if it would. I've had my coated ambassador on my snare for at least 4ish months now and really give it a beating when I get time to play. No dents, some wear, but have noticed that the coating on the outside is rough, while the more towards the center gets smoother.

So maybe that little bit lost or pounded out will contribute over time. Not sure about immediately. If you play it, try to play lightly I guess. Not sure if wood or nylon would effect it either. Wish I could be of more help, sorry. Play with coated ambassador all around so no idea if its spreading!
Old 05-22-2014, 06:40 AM

I've played that combo before and didn't have any problems. The suedes go kinda shiney where they have been struck but there was no transfer of white to them....at least on mine.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member

I've never seen white coating transfer. I'd be worried about getting black marks on your snare head and cymbals from the Emperors, but I haven't heard of that being an issue.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzarren View Post
I had a pearl protone snare head before, and that coating came off very very easily, and marked up all my cymbals.
To be fair, I haven't seen a stock Pearl head since I bought a set of Exports in '89-'90. But if they're comparable now to what they were then, then they ain't much chop. The "coating" used to be little more than some white paint splashed across some bottom of the barrel Mylar.....is it still the same?

Don't assume a pro level Remo, Evans or Aquarian head will have the same characteristics as a stock head on an intermediate Pearl kit. They'll be light years more advanced than those mate. I've only done a quick Google search, but my limited research is leading me to believe Protones aren't really all that to begin with. Coating on professional heads does wear, but it shouldn't disperse itself around the other various elements of your kit.

Last edited by Pocket-full-of-gold; 05-22-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:58 PM

My experience with the Black Suedes is that the first time you play them they look like they are 100 years old. They mark up incredibly fast. Take pictures before you hit them because they will absolutely never look like that again.

I had zero issue with the black coming off of the suedes and marking anything else up.