DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-03-2014, 11:45 AM

Default Head selection help?

Hey, guys! I'm new here so I'm still figuring out how this site works, but I have a few questions. First off, do you guys have any tips on drumheads that sound great for live unmiced venues? For my toms, I'm looking for a Chris Coleman sound. I love the clarity and tone that comes from his drums; Now, I'm not completely sure how much his drums are EQ'd for his youtube videos, so I'm not sure if it's possible to achieve without EQ. The kit I have right now is a OCDP Venice, which I'm not too fond off so I'm thinking about trading it in and buying a Mapex Meridian Maple. Any ways, hope this post isn't too long, and I hope you guys can help me out! Thanks.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Head selection help?

2 ply clear heads will be good. If you want more of a note from your drums, sometimes a head with a control ring is better (ec2 or pinstripe).

Chris is very powerful and gets alot of attack because of his technique, it's not all about the drums and drum heads.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerpito View Post
Hey, guys! I'm new here so I'm still figuring out how this site works, but I have a few questions. First off, do you guys have any tips on drumheads that sound great for live unmiced venues? For my toms, I'm looking for a Chris Coleman sound. I love the clarity and tone that comes from his drums; Now, I'm not completely sure how much his drums are EQ'd for his youtube videos, so I'm not sure if it's possible to achieve without EQ. The kit I have right now is a OCDP Venice, which I'm not too fond off so I'm thinking about trading it in and buying a Mapex Meridian Maple. Any ways, hope this post isn't too long, and I hope you guys can help me out! Thanks.
For live unmiced gigs, single ply heads project into the room and sustain better.

2 play heads are a better choice if you are a big hitter. The durability they offer over 1 ply is significant in that case. 2 ply heads generally have a higher ratio of stick attack to sustain than 1 ply.

Coated heads are generally warmer sounding than their clear counterparts

Last edited by AudioWonderland; 04-03-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member

If you want the power of 2-ply with the sustain of single-ply, look at some G12s or Ambassador Xs. You could also go for G14s on the floor toms (maybe a little too heavy for the rack toms).
Old 04-03-2014, 06:01 PM

I have EC2's on my Venice. It could be that I'm not an expert at tuning, but I hate the sound they give. I just feel like they sound bad. Any suggestions for anything that is versatile? Because I'm going to be playing many different genres. Country, Rock, Latin, Funk, AND Pop. I know that tuning plays a big part, but still would like some suggestions.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:24 PM

here is another reference point. It is pretty accurate.

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/pro...ide-comparison
Old 04-04-2014, 06:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerpito View Post
I have EC2's on my Venice. It could be that I'm not an expert at tuning, but I hate the sound they give. I just feel like they sound bad. Any suggestions for anything that is versatile? Because I'm going to be playing many different genres. Country, Rock, Latin, Funk, AND Pop. I know that tuning plays a big part, but still would like some suggestions.
A jazz drummer might use single ply coated heads and tweak them up high but generally I don't think there's any difference between the heads used by a latin, rock, country or funk drummer, it's more about the tuning and recording techniques.

I don't love ec2's either. I tried the g12's recently and I couldn't wait to replace them.

Just try some g2's or emperors, they will get that slappy attack sound you are prob hearing from Chris Coleman. Would help if you posted the video you had in mind.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:04 AM
Platinum Member

Use Remo black dots as your batters, and get rid of the bottom heads altogether. This is the sound you've been searching for.

;)
Old 04-04-2014, 08:27 AM
Platinum Member

Oh, actually, for a super punchy kind of tom game, I would go for some White Suede Emperors. Bought a set when I had my Superstars and they are definitely dry, nice attack, and look great too.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
A jazz drummer might use single ply coated heads and tweak them up high but generally I don't think there's any difference between the heads used by a latin, rock, country or funk drummer, it's more about the tuning and recording techniques.

I don't love ec2's either. I tried the g12's recently and I couldn't wait to replace them.

Just try some g2's or emperors, they will get that slappy attack sound you are prob hearing from Chris Coleman. Would help if you posted the video you had in mind.
Here are two vids of the sound I love. The first is more of an open sound from what I'm hearing, so most likely what will be achieved for live unmiced gigs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeNHUGrGxs8
And this 2nd one just really captures the tonality of the drums, in my perspective at least. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t-4vJ26reU
Hope that helps you guys out?
Old 05-22-2014, 05:12 AM

The second video you posted, the one in germany, it seems like he's using clear 2 plys over clear single plys judging by how tight they look and how deep they sounded.

I think he's using evans on toms as well, so probably clear g2's over clear g1's.