DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-02-2014, 10:18 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Experiment

I can't find a round nylon tipped stick I like. There's not a lot to pick from in VF. The sticks I like don't come in nylon tips (American Sound 5A&B, wood tips only) I want to experiment dipping just the tips of my sticks in something that will dry hard and won't crack apart. All this so I get more life from the tips obviously.

Any suggestions? It has to be a fairly thin and tough coating. Maybe I'll melt some nylon and giver er a go....I've heard of clear nail polish, but that seems a little too thin and lightweight to me. I'm thinking like melted plastic of some kind. Maybe a clear 2 part epoxy gel if it dries hard enough. Has anyone done this?
Old 04-02-2014, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Experiment

Interesting idea. Try boat resin. Look at West System Epoxy Resin as a starting point. It is pretty hard and durable when it dries.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:47 PM
Silver Member

Is there a reason not to look elsewhere from VF? They discontinued my favorite stick, the SD4N nylon tipped maple, last year. I found a good replacement from Vater.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:23 AM
Silver Member

Why not give Pro Mark a look? With their new stick designs, there's a good chance you might be able to find what you're looking for.

Otherwise, I have no suggestions as to what might be a good material to try this with, but I think it's a damn cool idea. I'd love to see how it turns out, if you do find something suitable!

"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900
Old 04-03-2014, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

We use this stuff at work, to mount and polish rock samples. Its very hard when cured.
epoxy and hardener. cure time depends on time and temperature, a day or two at room T. They have a 'trial kit' for $18

http://burnhampetrographics.com/petropoxy/ppp.php

Not sure how you get/fashion a symmetric bead but you can maybe dip your stick tip and let it hang dry. ok...that was an awkward statement , lol
Old 04-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Gold Member

I have been thinking about this also, and have considered using heat shrink wrap. My only concerns is that it will effect the balance of the stick and sound weird. It is really easy to use, though, and can be cut and trimmed once shrunk.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:53 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beam Me Up Scotty View Post
Why not give Pro Mark a look? With their new stick designs, there's a good chance you might be able to find what you're looking for.

Otherwise, I have no suggestions as to what might be a good material to try this with, but I think it's a damn cool idea. I'd love to see how it turns out, if you do find something suitable!
Pro Marks are usually too forward weighted for me but in all fairness I haven't checked them out in years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
We use this stuff at work, to mount and polish rock samples. Its very hard when cured.
epoxy and hardener. cure time depends on time and temperature, a day or two at room T. They have a 'trial kit' for $18

Not sure how you get/fashion a symmetric bead but you can maybe dip your stick tip and let it hang dry. ok...that was an awkward statement , lol
Good tip, I'll look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
I have been thinking about this also, and have considered using heat shrink wrap. My only concerns is that it will effect the balance of the stick and sound weird. It is really easy to use, though, and can be cut and trimmed once shrunk.
Shrink wrap doesn't seem like it would be hard enough, but that wouldn't stop me from trying.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post

When I was a kid, one of my older brothers spilled some epoxy on our driveway. It was there for years (run over by cars multiple times daily). When I got a little older, I thought I'd try to remove it. I wound up gouging the concrete. Epoxy is pretty strong stuff.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:09 PM
Silver Member

Larry,

Interesting how you mention the balance of pro-mark sticks, I noticed an advertisement recently about their new line:

http://www.promark.com/SelectBalance.Page#3
Old 04-03-2014, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

Try the Vater Fusion stick. I love the ProMark select balance sticks.

Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Old 04-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Gold Member

Uncle Larry, what about some of that "Plasti-dip" stuff? I've used it on tool handles before, and it works well, but it may be too soft and rubbery for the tip.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:23 AM
Gold Member

I would be afraid that it would leave unwanted residue on my cymbals.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:09 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgun View Post
Uncle Larry, what about some of that "Plasti-dip" stuff? I've used it on tool handles before, and it works well, but it may be too soft and rubbery for the tip.
Yea, no, too soft. They don't even make good tool handles. Crap product. I'm leaning towards epoxy. I tried a loc-tite product on a stick...too soft. It's gotta be hard and chip proof. Or chop proof, whatever lol.