DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:54 AM

Default Drum Show In San Diego

Is anyone going to this function? It is at studio west in Rancho Bernardo March 29, and its free. they are gonna have a bunch of kits and snares on display, some demonstrations, and people can get recorded on a kit in one of the studios so you can see what it sounds like to be recorded.

And let me tell you, these studios are the most acoustically dead rooms I ever heard. It should be fun, I'm going to reserve my 15 minutes in the studio and make a fool out of myself recording. LOL.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drum Show In San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar92010 View Post

And let me tell you, these studios are the most acoustically dead rooms I ever heard.
& that's a shame, as it sucks the character right out of the instrument :( Have fun though :)
Old 03-23-2014, 12:28 PM

Um......they make them dead for a reason. The reason is, the engineer controls the sound. He will add the character of the sound AFTER the track is recorded dry. It is easy to add, and really hard to remove sound that is already affected.

With that said, Studio West is not some cheap amateur studio. They record sound tracks for movies and artists CD's. etc.

As far as I know all the recording studios are dead and dry. That's why recording engineers get paid so much--because they make or break the sound of a recording.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar92010 View Post

As far as I know all the recording studios are dead and dry.
Not knocking the show recording booth experience at all, but your statement is way off. Some studio rooms are dry, some are extremely lively, most are somewhere in between the two, with a choice of "zones". Some use dedicated drum booths that are, in the main, fairly dry.

There's many ways to record drums. The deaden the drums right down then add presence back through the outboards is one method (& probably the more frequently used method for convenience & cost saving). At the opposite end of the spectrum, there's recording drums using the room sound & natural "breathing" of the drums. Most encompass both techniques as a hybrid to offer production options later on.

Anyhow, the show sounds great :)