DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-11-2014, 06:12 AM

Default Gibraltar Ultra Adjust Boom SC-UCB

Gibraltar has done it again: they've released a relatively useless spec for a potentially awesome product. Something as simple as length omission, not to mention feature details, has again forced consumers to guess their a$$es off! So, I am reaching out to this forum in the hopes that someone who has this item might do Gibraltar's job for free. ;-)

1) What are the overall minimum and maximum lengths of this unit, provided of course that it is length adjustable? I mean, it sure LOOKS like it extends in two places, but nowhere on earth does Gibraltar clearly stipulate that fact. Yes, I agree that it's pretty stupid of them to leave out such a detail, especially with a boom arm. I would think ANYONE would want to know the length of such a device, and whether it is adjustable or not. If they don't necessarily make more money by posting details like this, I have no doubt they would at least SAVE money by not having to tie up Brent Barnett all the time by forcing him to answer tedious and monotonous questions. I can't believe an entire company hasn't thought of doing something so basic. And, I know Brent spends a lot of time fielding such questions, because I've had to ask him MANY questions myself over the years. Anyway, I digress here... sorry.

2) If the item is indeed adjustable, then it only makes sense that this unit can be separated in two spots. If I were to take the lower end off the unit, and insert a cymbal tube/tilter that fits into the lower join section, then I could have even more flexibility, in that I could convert this unit into 2 single-ultra-adjust booms for situations that call for it, am I right?

3) If number 2 above is correct, can someone tell me the outer diameter of the "inner" extension tubes? I assume they are both the same.

4) How strong is the joint clamp where the lengths can be adjusted? I ask because I currently "fly" off of two 50" uprights the top sections of two 5610 stands, upon which are mounted 13" and 16" crashes. I fly an additional 17" crash using an SC-4425B-1 which is a 7/8" tube long boom/cymbal rod combo. None of these have any issues, even though they are all positioned horizontally, or near-horizontally, to the ground. The Ultra Adjust boom tube joint sections don't appear to have memory locks, so I would like to know if I need to concern myself with slippage at the joins (not at the ultra-adjust ball because I know from experience those things are rock solid) when supporting something like an 18" China with the boom in a horizontal position. Now, I don't mind if I have to get memory locks to stabilize the extensions from slipping, but it would nice to know if I do need memory locks upfront, and if I can even find any for the diameter of those extensions, hence the answer to question 3 above would most helpful.

Thanks to anyone who can help me solve the riddle. Of course, as always, comments, opinions and suggestions are most welcome. ;-)
Old 03-11-2014, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Gibraltar Ultra Adjust Boom SC-UCB

If you open the catalog pdf on the Gibraltar site, it says the boom stand is adjustable; 27" - 35.5".
Old 03-11-2014, 11:15 PM

Interesting. One vendor told me that the "lower" section goes from 8" to 16", and the "upper" section goes from 9.5" to 16.5" inches. That's a total of 15" adjustment. The vendor also said "the bottom stem has 3.25" inches to work with". If I add the 3.25" to the 16" of the lower section fully extended and the 16.5" of the upper section fully extended, that equals 35.25", which is darned close to the 35.5" maximum length you said the catalog says. But, if the Gibraltar catalog says 27" to 35.5", that's only 8.5" variance which is MUCH lower than the 15" over both sections like the vendor said. I'm inclined to think the vendor is right, since there are two extendable sections, and 4" variance doesn't make much sense to have in each section. What do you think?

It sure would be nice to hear from someone who has one so they can tell me something definitively.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Are the measurements taking the amount of space the UA piece itself adds to the length of the whole piece? The sections that extend would likely go to about where you see the the tube and cast section meet, maybe .25 shorter.

Not sure you could make two "identical parts" and just add a boom (tube with a hide-away and 1/2" boom arm) to it.
The short lower section of the bottom, and the lower section of the first tube (after the UA piece) looks to be 7/8, but the adjustable tube would be 3/4. You COULD do it, but one of the sections would need to go into a different sized stand piece. If you aren't trying to match it for looks, then no problem.

3.25 inches is OK to put into the stand base, but longer would be better IMO (I did A LOT of hardware modding a few years a go).
The 9600 stand base should be stable with that amount though.
To make TWO parts out of one, I'd take down the short, 3.25" 7/8 tube to the base of the UA part, insert and secure a 3/4 tube section and use it in the top section of a stand. Then it would be two of the same thing.

Not sure about the joint clamping strength. The Gibraltar 9600 stands I had seemed very strong, but I didn't have anything that could twist around.
Yes, the UA part is VERY sturdy.
Seems kinda odd that they wouldn't use a Brake Tilter on it, and use the generic version with teeth.

Here's a review from amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Gibraltar-SC-U.../dp/B0017PGHV8
Old 03-19-2014, 01:59 AM

Measurements were not including adjusters. As far as making a couple of arms out ot it goes, it looks only what would end up being the "base post" of the second arm would be smaller than the stock base post, and if that second "post" ende up being 3/4", that would be fine because in my experience both 3/4" and 7/8" work just , even with horizontal positioning.

In the end I gave up in this arm, even for use as a single arm, for these reasons:

1) The lack of easily obtained definitive measurements.

2) While the ball adjusters are great, they would be a real PITA to try and "remember" their positions, and consistent positioning gig after gig is one of the reasons I use a rack to begin with.

I ended up ordering something I expect to be better for positioning consistency, has much more length capabilities, and may also end up actually being just as, if not more, flexible. It also comes with a lifetime warranty. If you're interested, let me know and I'll post my findings on the other product once I've put it through its paces.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:51 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah, I'm always interested in hardware mods and projects. I had a lot of fun for a couple years Frankenstiening a bunch of stuff--which never really looked like they were mods, it just suited my needs and a look I wanted at the time.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:00 AM

Just read your post prior to the post above, and it seems you thought I was trying to use the arm for stands, when in fact I have no stands - I have a rack. So, that's why the confusion about the different post sizes at different points if the Ultra Adjust Double Boom were separated into 2 different units. On a rack, there's no issue because rack clamps can grab onto anything from 5/8" - to over 1". But, I guess the point is moot as I decided against that piece, as stated. Alternate piece should be here within the hour. Stay tuned... ;-)
Old 03-22-2014, 08:16 AM

Ok, so the new alternative arrived... a Pearl CH-2000. In a word, "WOW"! As I predicted, I've never seen a better cymbal arm, or stand, for that matter, or anything close to it.. But, it's definitely not for the faint of heart. With counterweight, this bad boy weighs 7.66 lbs. The counterweight itself weighs in at 1.69 lbs. So, with the counterweight removed it is just under 6 lbs. It's versatility is unsurpassed, and I seriously can't find a position that I want that it can NOT achieve. Over other cymbals, around other cymbals, under other cymbals, you name it. Oh wait, it won't go THROUGH other cymbals.... darn!

Seriously, I had plans for two, but after using just the one, I was able to remove some of the other Mickey Mousing I was doing with other stuff, and now I really may not need the other one that is due to arrive next week! Oh well, I'll try to come up with a way to make use of it, if only because these arms are so beautiful. Too bad Pearl discontinued them. I feel sorry for all the other drummers who never had the opportunity to try one of these! :-) At the very least I will have an extra unused one and save it as a collector's item! ;-)