DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 03-21-2014, 11:12 PM

Default Top tips before recording!?

Hey folks!

Forgive me if this is in the wrong topic ;)

Now, I have recorded (in a professional manor) twice before, but for some reason I feel a distinct nervousness heading in to my 3rd bout. I always practice to a metronome (even just listening to a click while sitting at my work desk playing a song in my head) so realistically I should have it down and nailed when it comes to recording but as i say i feel uneasy going into recording in the next few days. I am curious as to what any of you dudes and dudettes do to psych yourselves up while staying calm and ready at the same time!? Is sitting in silence listening to a click 2 hours before recording a good thing or listening to your favourite band to get you pumped up?! Hit me up with your thoughts, i know everyone is different, but i love a bit of input!

Have a nice day!
Old 03-21-2014, 11:21 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Top tips before recording!?

just be relaxed, focussed and prepared

so whatever it takes to get you in that state of mind.... do that

a little self reassurance never hurts either ....

it may sound funny but I always give myself a little pep talk and talk to loved ones who have passed away right after we get sounds and right before we hit the red button

I tell myself that there is noone better for this job than me right at this very moment and I'm going to kill it .... advice from Kenny Werner in his book

he also says to not listen to music you love right before playing because you will subconsciously be comparing yourself to what you just heard and may not be able to live up to it....hence setting yourself up for a let down ..... not sure I always believe that.... but take it for what it is

I make a good portion of my living in the recording studio and I can tell you that there is no magic potion or secret besides being confident, focussed and prepared .... over prepared even
Old 03-21-2014, 11:35 PM

Ya know what man, and I dont mean to get too deep in thought and speak about depressing things here, but ever since my dad passed (2 years ago last week) I haven't actually recorded properly, I have done demos and so on which have turned out well and got me excited, but the fact that you just mentioned your little pep talk to yourself and speaking to loved passed ones just totally got me thinking, maybe I should do something similar!

I will also try to reassure...we will see how that works when the words "when you're ready" are said! :)

Thanks for your reply, I will certainly take note, and even look up Kenny Werners book!
Old 03-22-2014, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member

I would just be playing the material you're going to be recording with a click, a lot; and doing your regular practicing at the tempos of the tunes you'll be recording. You want to be able to execute the songs perfectly just mechanically, because that's all you're going to be able to rely on while you're recording-- if you go in relying on inspiration to get a good take, you'll be opening yourself up to possibly crashing and burning. Especially if you don't have a lot of time, which you probably won't. Remember while you're recording that if you just execute the parts cleanly, at moderate intensity, it's going to sound good.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:44 AM
Silver Member

I can't say that I really psyche myself up or pump myself up on the day, or right before a take. But leading up, I try to do my homework - practice the tunes from memory with a click, play along with a demo or charts, record myself to make sure I'm playing the parts well, etc.

Get to the session early to set up, get the vibe of the studio, and to give yourself time to get sounds. Make sure you have a good monitor mix in your 'phones so you're comfortable. Pace yourself too, especially if you're tracking with other players or a whole band. The other guys might not be ready for that magic take, even if you nailed it the first time through...
Old 03-22-2014, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member

I've learned the hard way that I'm someone who needs to plan his parts more thoroughly.

I have only done a few recordings but they were quite tough and ever since those experiences I tend to have a 'recording' mentality even when I'm at band practice. I am more conscious of the parts I play and I tend to stick to the same things rather than change everything from take to take.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:36 AM

Are you nervous (to the same degree) playing gigs?

If not it's the experience and confidence you have that carries you through so the more experience you have in the studio the easier it will be.

Things I always tell students and myself if the self conscious guy gets a hold (which happens if im working with a producer I've not worked with before) are:
You are hired for a reason. The people who will pay you/asked you to record want you to be there. They like you and like your playing.

It's not a competition or a trial. So don't view it as that. Your playing won't be analysed and they wont be dissing on you behind your back.

Go do your thing and enjoy it. The studio is an awesome place to be creative and make music. Dependant on the project I prefer it to live sometimes.

D

Dave Major
Professional Drummer
www.dave-major.com

Last edited by Dave_Major; 03-22-2014 at 02:08 PM.