DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Playing

Your Playing Show us Your Playing

Old 02-28-2014, 09:57 PM

Default Some practice clips!

Hey guys, it's been a while since I uploaded some of my playing. This time I'd like to do something different. I'll upload some practice clips! Full of mistakes, errors, and just me messing around. Hope you enjoy the nitty gritty of other's practice. I know I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybpf...XVvRt6OPixOEHQ

EDIT:
Thought I might as well post up another vid in the same thread! Instead of making a new one. This one contains the Drew Groove, The famous 32nd note lick by Steve Gadd, and some other odds and ends sticking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxVmq7V8lZo

Tell me what you guys think! Yes I know I need to play to a click, but this was part two of the same day.

Last edited by hyruleherojoe; 03-18-2014 at 03:50 AM. Reason: new video
Old 03-01-2014, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Some practice clips!

All great ideas. Are you studying any books in particular?

Would be great to see you chuck on a slower metronome and string them altogether in one refined performance.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:37 PM

Hey thanks for checking it out! Actually all these sticking I found on youtube. I search for interesting and staple sticking patterns to add to my vocabulary. I have yet to crack open an instructional book :( I really want to, but at the same time I'm really nervous about it.

Quote:
Would be great to see you chuck on a slower metronome and string them altogether in one refined performance.
That was actually my first idea for this video. But I really dont have much experience with a metronome. All I've used for was to practice some rudiments. I will try this out to a metronome and have a concise and structured idea next time! Practice practice practice eh?
Old 03-02-2014, 12:15 AM

Great idea to video your practice-I've been doing the same thing. It's fun to try ideas, try to make a new groove, find your drum voice so to speak. I like some of the licks on the bass toms and kick at the end-gave it a double bass sound. Good stuff. You can download metronome apps on your cell phone or count a click in your head. But there is alway free jazz too. I got a video recorder for christmas and it is really opening my eyes to my playing, and the difference between what I hear behind the kit and what everyone else hears in front.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:52 AM

Thanks a lot! Yeah I will definitely look into dowlaoding a metronome app. I had one but got a new phone. I highly recommend recording yourself! I used a cracked nokia lumia 928. The video and audio are pretty good. I spent hours listening to the three 1 minutes videos and disecting my playing and techniques, a real eye opener. That last lick I got it from the DruffleGroove, you should youtube, its a delicious groove.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:51 AM

Bump! Just so you guys can see the new vid!
Old 03-18-2014, 05:18 AM
Administrator

If I could echo what was said earlier. I see a lot of potential but you have to walk before you can run. do all of these rudiments or stickings at half of the speed you are trying and then add speed. and by add speed I mean like 10 BPS at a time. It will take a while but you will feel great when you get there.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:05 PM

This is my favourite trap!

I think every drummer has a favourite tempo, the one you instinctively play at when you sit behind a kit and just play.

unfortunately its often, certainly for me, the wrong tempo to be learning new stuff at.

slowing it down eliminates the 'twitchy' movements that sound about right but are not quite the sticking technique that you would prefer.

I've been going back to basics and analysing my technique recently and I utilise much twitching! Don't be me!
Old 03-18-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
If I could echo what was said earlier. I see a lot of potential but you have to walk before you can run. do all of these rudiments or stickings at half of the speed you are trying and then add speed. and by add speed I mean like 10 BPS at a time. It will take a while but you will feel great when you get there.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. At the time of the recording I didnt have a click and I just wanted to record something with the new recording phone I bought. Off the kit I do practice the sticking on my lap or a drum pad at slower tempos. I just get excited and nervous and just play what ever comes to mind. It's a bad practice habit that I have to stop :( I've read many tips from the ol' regulars here to know that.

Quote:
I've been going back to basics and analysing my technique recently and I utilise much twitching! Don't be me!
Yeah the twitchy stuff kind of reminds me of Thomas Pridgen. Shame I don't have his skills lol.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyruleherojoe View Post
Shame I don't have his skills lol.
Hey I reckon you've got the skills. I'm a moron when it comes to remembering those sticking patterns you're playing, so I think you're pretty smart in that area. What you're playing is awesome, it's HOW you're playing it that will make all the difference.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
Hey I reckon you've got the skills. I'm a moron when it comes to remembering those sticking patterns you're playing, so I think you're pretty smart in that area. What you're playing is awesome, it's HOW you're playing it that will make all the difference.
Thats what I mean by the bad twitchy thing. I think I can play certain stickings at a fast tempo, but I can't go slow-fast-slow with them. hence I havn't really and truly got the mechnics down.

So I also need to do what Dre25 is suggesting for you, practice it slow and then build back up to speed. Then the technique will follow you!

Being able to have those stickings in your head is great though, nice brain!
Old 03-20-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Thats what I mean by the bad twitchy thing. I think I can play certain stickings at a fast tempo, but I can't go slow-fast-slow with them. hence I havn't really and truly got the mechnics down.

So I also need to do what Dre25 is suggesting for you, practice it slow and then build back up to speed. Then the technique will follow you!

Being able to have those stickings in your head is great though, nice brain!
Nice brain? Thanks! From what I learned, its all about muscle memory. My problem is just throwing it in groove consistently. But honestly I never feel like I'm getting anywhere. Yeah sure I know these sticking, but I want what other people have, be it time feel, groove sense, placement of things, knowing how to play for the song, so many thing. Like I want Dre25's feel! I guess you dont really get a sense of your own skills or appreciate what you have, in my case anyways.

Quote:
Mmmm I like that -It's how I play it that makes a difference. Ill definitely have that glued in my head. I'm starting to just take a step back and try to analyze my playing but just me doing it I know isn't going to cut it. I need feed back from other drummers. Thanks a ton to both you and Diet Kirk and all others that have commented/ checked out my practice clips!

1)play to a click

2) slow it down

3)get it even

4)work on how I play those sticking.

Ill post some clips occasionaly, thanks again guys!
Old 03-20-2014, 02:25 PM

No worries at all.

Post a click of you grooving along to a track and I guarantee you will be harder on yourself than anyone else will be on you.

My experience mainly comes from 19 years of teaching myself, thinking I was good, and now going back to square one to learn/unlearn properly! If in any way I can comment and stop anyone else falling in to that trap I will :)