DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 04-08-2014, 05:12 PM

Default TD-3 for recording.

I currently have a OCDP Venice 4 piece set, and I don't drum half as much as i use to. Im a guitar/bass player, and now days i only drum when i record demos. Im a bit tired of having to deal with the micing and maintenance of an acoustic set. I was wondering if a roland TD-3 would be good choice for me. I choose this set because I've seen them on craigslist going for only $500. This way i would have money left over after selling my kit and all my mics to go toward more guitar gear. Tell me what you guys think.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: TD-3 for recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRBP742 View Post
I currently have a OCDP Venice 4 piece set, and I don't drum half as much as i use to. Im a guitar/bass player, and now days i only drum when i record demos. Im a bit tired of having to deal with the micing and maintenance of an acoustic set. I was wondering if a roland TD-3 would be good choice for me. I choose this set because I've seen them on craigslist going for only $500. This way i would have money left over after selling my kit and all my mics to go toward more guitar gear. Tell me what you guys think.
I think most of the time you can get away with the toms. The cymbals are another story. They sound fake and lifeless on e-kits, and the td3 is a low-end one at that.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:59 PM
Gold Member

It depends a bit on the music you are recording.

The E's are certainly very easy to use and you can get some EQ help with the recording program. I use a wireless mouse/keyboard and can start/stop recording while sitting behind the kit. Don't like the track? Just kill it and start over. It's often easier than trying to fix something.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:54 AM

@NewTricks I record mostly punk/metal/prog sounding stuff usually with relatively basic drum parts. I use Cubase 5 as my program. Do you think it'd work for this?
Old 04-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

Just some food for thought, you can use anything that has MID! Record the MIDI and use a program like BFD or Superior Drummer.

That way you get great sounds and you are still playing the tracks
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 04-10-2014, 11:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRBP742 View Post
@NewTricks I record mostly punk/metal/prog sounding stuff usually with relatively basic drum parts. I use Cubase 5 as my program. Do you think it'd work for this?
Absolutely. All you need to do is find decent and appropriate sounds/settings and you are good to go.

And, all you need to do is play a measure or two accurately then copy/paste :)