DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Old 03-19-2014, 11:10 PM

Default Wuhan cymbals too thin for rock?

I've read a lot about Wuhan cymbals. I know that they're generally a higher quality than the Big 3's entry lines, but they fall short of pro cymbals. I know that people who have played them generally have a much higher opinion of them than people who haven't. I know that they're supposed to be stellar in relation to their price. I have also read, though, that they're kind of on the thin side. Have any of you guys tried playing Wuhan cymbals in a heavy rock setting? How did they stack up? I mean, I'm playing ZBT's right now. Just about anything will be an upgrade. Haha.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:24 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Wuhan cymbals too thin for rock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxh039 View Post
I've read a lot about Wuhan cymbals. I know that they're generally a higher quality than the Big 3's entry lines, but they fall short of pro cymbals. I know that people who have played them generally have a much higher opinion of them than people who haven't. I know that they're supposed to be stellar in relation to their price. I have also read, though, that they're kind of on the thin side. Have any of you guys tried playing Wuhan cymbals in a heavy rock setting? How did they stack up? I mean, I'm playing ZBT's right now. Just about anything will be an upgrade. Haha.
Thin cymbals open up quickly and are easy to get loud, so you really don't need to play them as hard to make them sing. The Wuhans will hold up fine IF you don't pound the crap out of them. It simply isn't necessary, anyway. I've got several, along with many Istanbul Agops and a few Sabians, and they've held up fine for the ten years or so I've owned them.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:41 AM
Platinum Member

What you've read is correct.

I bought a set of wuhans for my son. And even though I plenty of my own cymbals, I have borrowed the Wuhan 16" crash because it just sounds great in blues playing, and singer/songwriter situations.

But I wouldn't use them in a heavy rock situation. They are thin, and don't have much cut.

If I was shopping for cymbals for hard rock with not much money, I'd look at Sabian Xs20's, or Paiste Alphas.

Sabain now have heavier rock weights in the xs20's

Although if you already have ZBTs, I'd be reluctant to buy more "budget friendly" cymbals and just go for Sabain AA's or Zildjian A's or such, even if you pick them up used.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:32 AM

I also own wuhan cymbals ( 14", 16", 16" thin, 18",18" effects cymbal, 20"ride, and 12" China). They are great cymbals, and I love the sound. I would not recommend them for heavy playing because they are thin, but if you're looking for some excellent rock/heavy rock cymbals, try MEINL CLASSICS CUSTOM EXTREME cymbals. They are perfect and can take a beating. They sound great too.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:18 PM

If you want loud Chinas for rock, get Z3's. They were just discontinued, so look for "new old stocks". 2002s are pretty loud too. My 22" blows my ears away.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:47 PM

I have a Wuhan 18" crash ride on my left and a wuhan hi-hat top on my right which i use as crashes for just about everything. If it's an acoustic jazz gig i'll use the hi-hats as hi-hats but those dont cut when playing in harder rock situations hence using a pair of somewhat old Sabian B8's (red label....80's i think. damn good pair of hats that i could use for jazz gigs without issue but the wuhan hats are darker which i prefer for those sorts of situations.)
I love the crashes because they are dark and trashy and much more versatile than the budget offerings from the Big 3. they open easily and fit most situations quite well. If you are playing ZBT's i'd say keep the hats and get a few wuhan crashes and the ride.Although to be honest i dont use the wuhan ride but a mid 70's Zildjian A 22" Medium Ride
Old 03-23-2014, 06:00 PM

Generalizing about Wuhan in General won't really answer your question. There are so many different cymbals you should check out one at a time to get the sound you want. Fortunately, they are cheap enough that you can get a few try them, and sell the ones you decide not to keep. Then move on.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

I've been really interested in getting a couple myself just to try them. They have a decent selection at Cymbalism.

http://stores.cymbalismmusic.com/wuhan-crash-cymbals/

Thicknesses vary, but I wonder how thin Wuhan regulars are considering the fact that there is a medium-thin and a thin also.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:04 PM

Any cymbal will be loud enough in a band practice situation. Everyone else in the band has a volume knob for a reason, they should be matching to the drummer to hear over their cymbals, if you're not loud enough for them to hear, tell them to turn down...

In a concert setting, the same is true. Any venue worth playing at with louder rock or metal is going to put overhead mics on you. You shouldn't need to worry about the volume or "cut," get whatever sounds best to you.