DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 09-14-2014, 03:06 AM

Default Roland TD-1K - any user reviews yet?

I am thinking of getting the new TD-1K for practicing in my TINY room in a boarding house... I used to have the Roland TD-11 series and it was great, but still too noisy (my housemate would complain, so I sold it) and now I am in an even more shared housing situation, so I was wondering if anyone had it yet, or had a good play on it, and could compare it to the better Roland kits, but just for daily practice to keep my chops up... I am especially looking at the feel/noise level of the pads/cymbals and also the sensitivity and response of the pedals

Thanks!

cheers,
Dan
Old 09-15-2014, 11:58 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Roland TD-1K - any user reviews yet?

I don't think you'll see an improvement in noise levels versus the mesh head TD11, because this kit has rubber pads, which are significantly louder.

In a situation where you can't make any noise, I suggest you look into a good practice pad and a kick tester pad to keep up your chops. Absolutely no point buying one then having to sell again. Perhaps you could also look into an alternative place to store your drums.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:15 PM

I was actually also wondering if the Yamaha heads might be quieter (and cheaper) than Roland... I tried one of their more expensive models with the white soft heads all around, and it was pretty quiet and quite a bit cheaper than the roland mesh head kits :)
Old 09-18-2014, 11:55 AM
Silver Member

I've heard that their silicone pads are quieter than mesh... Haven't really tried them out.

But those pads only come on Yamaha's top-of-the-line models on all toms and the snare head. Otherwise, you might only get it on the snare, which would take you back to square one.

Seriously, mesh isn't very loud, I find my cymbal pads make more noise. In a situation like yours, I seriously suggest a place where you can store your drums, or alternatively, a place where you can practice on a kit everyday for a fee. I think the TD1V is a big step down from your TD11, which must have been a great kit. It'll just be pointless if you splash cash and then are unable to use the product or have to sell it again.

Looking for a place where the roomies are more open to you making a little noise is also a great option.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:40 AM

Not sure if you have got your kit yet, but I have some advice if you haven't! The Yamaha silicone pads are much quieter, and they deal very realistic. The Yamaha sets sound much more realistic in the price range you are dealing with. The Roland base drum is nice, but the Yamaha cymbals feel a lot better. I would go with Yamaha:)! Any questions just ask me!