DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-01-2014, 04:15 PM

Default Remo Controlled sound for toms

Hey guys i was interested in buying remo controlled sound drumheads
for my toms. I heard there are 3 dots though, like a black, clear and white dot. Could somebody tell me what the specs are and how does this affect the sound?
Old 03-01-2014, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Remo Controlled sound for toms

I'm not sure on the specs, but I think it's basically an ambassador weight head (7 mil) with the dot being another 7 mil. If you really want to hear what they sound like, I suggest listening to some later Tony Williams (his album, Foreign Intrigue and later you can clearly hear what a black dot head sounds like). I still use these heads from time to time.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I'm not sure on the specs, but I think it's basically an ambassador weight head (7 mil) with the dot being another 7 mil. If you really want to hear what they sound like, I suggest listening to some later Tony Williams (his album, Foreign Intrigue and later you can clearly hear what a black dot head sounds like). I still use these heads from time to time.
Diplomat weight is 7 mil. Ambassador is 10 mil.

I'm not sure how many mils thick the dot is. I know Evans uses a much thinner dot on their Power Center heads.

There really is no sound difference between the black and white dot. It's merely cosmetic. I've never seen the CS clear dot out in the wild, though I've heard of it. Probably little to no sound difference.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:22 PM
Silver Member

I think a black dot is 5 mil.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

I had heard that the clear dot was 3mil, black was 5, and white was 7, but DrumFactoryDirect's listings say that they're all 5mil. I don't think it'd make much of a difference anyways, go for what you like aesthetically.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

There is a little difference between a Clear Dot and the White and Black Dots.
The Clear Dot has a little less attack, and is a little more mellow than the other dots.
Durability is the same.

The dot is 5 mil. for White and Black, Clear might be same, but I don't know the specs for it. Kinda feels the same running your finger over the dot though.

The Clear Dot sounds real good on a bass drum, with a bit less "smack" in the attack than a Black Dot. It has good attack, and a pretty fat sound on the snare.

Neil Peart used the Clear Dot on his snare and bass drums for ages. Exit Stage Left is a great example for hearing it.

There is also the White Film with the 3 different color dots. I didn't like this version on the snare as much as the clear film, but it sounds cool on toms.
Cozy Powell used the White Film Black Dot with no muffling on anything for years. there are lots of YouTube examples of his sound, besides recordings.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Introduced in 1968, CONTROLLED SOUND heads are single-ply Ambassador-weight heads with a 5 mil thick black or clear dot in the center of the head. This combination offers a controlled, centered sound without undesirable overtones.