DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 02-27-2014, 11:50 PM

Default Best way to trigger drum samples

Hi. Does anyone have advice on this? I'm looking for a way to trigger drum samples that's musical, not a PITA, works live and in the studio, and costs less than $500. I like the idea of using triggers on my acoustic drums since the drums can be replaced or augmented. But I have no idea how accurate that is or which trigger set would be the best. I don't play anything complicated or highly technical, but I do like dynamic range a lot. Does using triggers on acoustic drums work well and which set, or should I go with a midi trigger pad unit? Electronic drums are probably out of my price range, but if using acoustic drums doesn't work well, I might consider it. I'll probably be using Native Instruments kits if that matters. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Best way to trigger drum samples

Most of your preferences should be available with a multipad percussion controller:
- a way to trigger drum samples that's musical.... multi-instrument sound kits?
- like dynamic range a lot.... velocity sensitive pads?
- go with a midi trigger pad unit..... pads played with sticks or hands?
- probably be using Native Instruments kits.... built-in samples or VSTs?
- costs less than $500.... check the included links
(The included questions should be considered).

Here are some links for percussion controllers: http://www.sweetwater.com/c645--Perc...s/low2high/all http://www.gearnuts.com/c645--Percus...CJtYW51IjoiIn0
You can check out a multipad comparison and reviews in this drums e-mag: http://issuu.com/digitaldrummer/docs...ber_2012_final
Also the new Alesis SamplePad Pro could provide what you want for $300, when it's released (with 32GB of SD sample memory).
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2014, 03:28 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansolo View Post
Also the new Alesis SamplePad Pro could provide what you want for $300, when it's released (with 32GB of SD sample memory).
32GB?? Wow, really?! That's been the question for me, I hadn't seen that figure anywhere. You could hit a pad, come back in 24 hours, and it would still be playing!

Bermuda
Old 02-28-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
32GB?? Wow, really?! That's been the question for me, I hadn't seen that figure anywhere. You could hit a pad, come back in 24 hours, and it would still be playing!

Bermuda
Thanks for checking my typo about the 32GB - I was referring to the maximum SD card size that can store samples, which should be available via 20 extra User kits on the SD. Apparently kits will be preloaded at startup - and if that includes the extra 20 kits then I wonder what the maximum sample size will be.
Alesis has been quiet about the internal sample memory size - I expected someone would have asked about it at NAMM and mentioned it on a forum.

Last edited by Hansolo; 02-28-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:51 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

That would be cool if the unit used the SD card as RAM! I suppose if that was do-able, Roland and everyone else would have done it already. :)
Old 03-09-2014, 02:59 PM

I would suggest checking out the new Roland TM-2 module, due to be released by the end of March beginning of April. I already pre-ordered one for $199. Then get a Roland RT10K kick trigger and a RT10S dual snare trigger. (head and rim). You could do all this for < $400 and have a pretty good start. The TM-2 has over 100 onboard sounds plus expandable via SDHC card. Of course you'll probably also want to get a drum monitor so you can hear your triggered sounds over your acoustic drums. Simmons DA200S is a great buy at $319 and an awesome monitor for the bux. Best of luck.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:10 PM

What are you trying to trigger and is this for live performances?

I do not trigger acoustic drum sound, but mostly other types of percussion instruments. What I am doing does not tend to work well using acoustic triggers, so my set up is "pad device->controller->sound module".

Depending on the number of triggers you want, this is not that costly. The Roland BT1 is about $100US (each) , an AKAI MPX8 is round $100US, and a pad to midi controller (i.e. Alesis TriggerIO, used Roland PM16, etc) are about $150US. If you are OK using rubber pads, you can buy them used very cheap or even build them.

Hope this helps.