DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-21-2014, 10:46 PM
Gold Member

Default Vic Firth vs Vater

I've been a long time user of Vic Firth 5A wood tip sticks and generally have been impressed with their quality… that being said I've recently noticed that their durability doesn't seem to be what it used to be... so I recently decided to try out Vater 5A sticks…so far I have to say that after a month in to their use, they seem to hold up better, especially the wood tips….has anyone else had a similar experience… please weigh in, I'm interested to hear other drummers experiences with these brands….

Last edited by scorch whammin; 02-22-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Vic Firth vs Vater

There are quite a few threads on this topic. The consensus always seem to be that every stick chips after a while. They're wood, it will happen.

However, most folks seem to favor Vic Firth (like myself) or Vater. People on both sides will swear one is more durable then the other.

I've seen every stick manufacturer chip so I can't say exactly which one will last you longer. Sometimes a stick will last me months and then I get a random stick that doesn't last an entire gig. It just happens. I do have the occasional tip chip, but I use it until I can't get a good sound out of it.

I have also come to prefer a shorter stick. There aren't many options around 15.5". The VF 7A is my current go-to stick. Until some other manufacturer makes an identical model (same goes for the VF AJ6 too) I don't feel the need to switch.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:20 PM
Gold Member

I use Vater and Vic Firth, and Pro Mark from time to time as well.

With all of them I've had pairs that seemed to last forever, and some that went way before their time. I think any differences in longevity comes down to the variables in the wood itself. In spite of the strict tolerances of the individual manufacturers you can't control every imperfection when dealing with a natural material.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:40 PM
"Uncle Larry"

They way the stick is weighted is why I prefer VF's. It's more back weighted than the others it seems. I can't use Pro Marks only because they feel too forward weighted to me which makes me have to work harder in a fast 8th note situation. Vics are more responsive than Vaters to me, but that really shouldn't matter at all to you. If you get more durability and your playing isn't affected, then great!
Old 02-22-2014, 08:46 AM
Silver Member

I bought a 5 pack of Vaters because it was a really good price. I thought they were a good sticks, but I still like VF's better. Not sure why. They always feel like high quality sticks. I think I like their lighter weight, than some other brands.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:15 AM

I've had nothing short of a bad experience with VF. Tips slitting like crazy and just overall breakage. That where the tens of pairs of 5a's but the buddy rich sigs seems to be holding up better.

I also realised that I only get blisters from VF's finish so now I only play Vater and Promark. Currently playing the Vater Fatback 3a and the last two pairs of them have been holding up extremely well. Never understood the hype about VF.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

My vics were always breaking tips... switched to vater and I don't have this problem anymore... sticks last me waaaay longer.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:07 PM
Silver Member

isn't it crazy how we get different results from the same stick? I haven't broke a stick in many yr. they just get whittled down till I don't like the feel of them. The get kind of flimsy, not solid feeling anymore. That might be old age, and can't hit as hard. LOL
Old 02-22-2014, 11:43 PM
Silver Member

Vater's feel heavier and denser to me. I used to break Vic Firth sticks all the time, not so with Vater, but I recently picked up an old Vic and it felt like a twig in my hand. Some might like it, for me it was too light. For me, the feel is in the weight difference, and I prefer Vaters heft.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:15 AM
Platinum Member

I found the same thing for durability. Vater hickory is denser, than VF, and than ProM.
Maybe Vater treat their wood differently. Although I find Vater to be more durable, I much prefer the balance of weight along the stick of any VF. or any ProM. I kind of switch between these depending what size I am using.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:55 AM
Pioneer Member

Always found their boild and durability to be roughly similar, definitely prefer the lighter density of VFs, gives a nicer tone on cymbals.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:34 AM
Silver Member

I do a lot of rimshots and vater sticks handle it way better .
Old 02-28-2014, 03:47 AM
Silver Member

Sometimes you can end up with sticks that have been sitting on a shelf for a while, and may have lost moisture content, making them a bit more brittle. Maybe they should put a "best before" date on them...
Old 02-28-2014, 06:08 AM
Silver Member

I am a Vater guy. Played PM for about a week until I found Vater. That was 20+ years ago and about 100 bricks of sticks ago. Love Vater, I would endorse them.

F
Old 02-28-2014, 10:39 AM

I played Vic Firth for years and found their quality to be lacking. I was getting a lot of bad sticks, tips chipping etc.. Then I found Vater and the quality was amazing in comparison. I played them for years...and then I started getting bad sticks. Sticks that had deep, porous grain, and I broke a few sticks which never used to happen. So I tried Vic again and I'm happy with what I'm currently playing and the quality seems to have improved.

I just think that with all companies they go through ups and downs and that's all that I experienced. Might I switch to something else or back to Vater? Maybe, but I'm also liking a lot of the current model offerings that Vic has. So until I get intrigued by something else I'm going to stay here.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Check out CALATO REGAL TiP, intriguing indeed.

Very durable finish. I got turned onto the E Series JAZZ, was playing VF 7A's, very impressed with CALATO, especially the finish.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:23 AM
Silver Member

I have never broken a Vic Firth stick. I used to play set drums, but turned toward more band and orchestral. If you are always breaking sticks, try a different weight or tip shape. Avoid insanity! Insanity is repeating the same thing over and over again, expecting different results . . .
Old 03-03-2014, 08:24 PM

I prefer VF sticks for the orchestral/band stuff. The SD1 and SD2 sticks are awesome. I switched from VF to Vater on the set (5A wood & nylon) because I also found the quality of those sticks to be poor. Mismatched weights and bananas mostly. I tried a set of Vaters and I never looked back.

Funny thing, I bad-mouthed VF quality control in these forums under my original account and a VF corporate employee send me a box of various VF sticks. Some I liked, some I didn't. I still prefer Vater on the set.