DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-16-2014, 09:44 PM

Default tipless drumsticks

Ok, so i went to a local jazz gig and noticed something really unusual about his drumsticks. They were nylon tip sticks.... without the tip! Apparently he was told about it by another jazz drummer and that as long as you round off the end so it doesnt stab drumheads it gives a really nice sound. So I got home and tried it with my nylons and sure enough, great sound! You dont get as MUCH rebound but so long as you have good stick control you can still do your buzzes and rolls easily. I also noticed some custom drum companies sell sticks without tips, and a few carbon drumstick companies sell them like it too. I also went and got my old pair of techra sticks off the mantlepiece as they were my pride and joy but the tips eroded and my teacher told me to get a new pair of sticks and to go to wood so i did. But i tried them and they bounce so much that i can get the same rolls as i can with a normal wood tip stick, and i love them again! So does anyone else use tipless sticks?
Old 02-17-2014, 02:12 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: tipless drumsticks

I have had a tip come off or break off while playing many times over the years and I didn't like the sound or the feel one bit.
Its tips for me on my sticks.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

I actually use the Regal Quantam 1000 Nylon, and take the ball tip off.
The rebound is good. The "tip" sound is nice, and they have a decent taper but a sturdy neck. The end is kinda like a little nub, but it could be the way the wood gets compressed a little when the tip goes on.

I have to put the ball tip in a vice, close it up in a couple spots, then turn and pull the stick to get it off though.
Might seem like a pain, but it's worth it to me because I really like the feel, and sound of the sticks on my drums and cymbals like this.

I use the tip(less) end for one band, and butt ended for two other bands I am in.

Even butt ended they have a good rebound, and sit nicely in my hand. I tried the standard Q1000 with wood tip turned around, but they didn't feel as good to me as the ones I took the tips off of.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:19 PM

i sat in at a jazz gig some time ago, and the drummer had tipless sticks. i think they were regal tip 7a, or something like that (i usually play with nothing smaller than a 5a), and i must say, i rather enjoyed the effect. they had really good rebound, and they were very quiet. i still haven't ever pulled the tips off of mine, but i did enjoy it that night.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:36 PM
Pioneer Member

I've always liked the feel of tipless 7A's for jazz. I never considered doing it on purpose, but I might now.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:33 PM

Glad i wasn't just loosing my marbles! I really enjoy the feel and sound, but I do find it a bit quieter. It also seems to give me a really wide open sound on my snare which I have utterly fallen in love with. Sounds rather nice on my cymbals too actually.