DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-10-2014, 08:19 PM

Default Rock/metal head suggestions for Tama Starclassic Performer kit.

I have a 7 pc Starclassic performer kit bought new in '96. 10,12,13,14,16, 22, and 6.5x14 brass snare. I mainly play rock/metal (Sabbath, Motley Crue, GnR, AC/DC, Pantera, Maiden, old Metallica...)
I've always used Pinstripes in the batter side of the toms and still have the original Evans G1(I think) on the bottoms. Snare has coated Powerstroke3 on top and a clear ambassador on the bottom. Bass drum has pinstripe batter and the original black Tama (Evans) with a off center 6" hole in front. It's time to replace the tops again and also the bottoms for the first time. Any suggestions for replacements? I like the lower, thuddy, boom from the toms and a nice punchy bass drum.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Rock/metal head suggestions for Tama Starclassic Performer kit.

Tama forum suggest G2. I've just bought a BB and fitted G2 batter and G1 reso. They sound great. I've got G2 coated on my Rockstar custom. I prefer the G2 clear
Old 02-10-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki03xlh View Post
I have a 7 pc Starclassic performer kit bought new in '96. 10,12,13,14,16, 22, and 6.5x14 brass snare. I mainly play rock/metal (Sabbath, Motley Crue, GnR, AC/DC, Pantera, Maiden, old Metallica...)
I've always used Pinstripes in the batter side of the toms and still have the original Evans G1(I think) on the bottoms. Snare has coated Powerstroke3 on top and a clear ambassador on the bottom. Bass drum has pinstripe batter and the original black Tama (Evans) with a off center 6" hole in front. It's time to replace the tops again and also the bottoms for the first time. Any suggestions for replacements? I like the lower, thuddy, boom from the toms and a nice punchy bass drum.
I think you'd actually really like the new Evans Black Chromes or Clear or Coated EC2s on the batter sides of your toms. For the resonant side - new G1s, or if you want more depth, less high overtones, try EC Resonants. Not every place stocks them, though.

I'd also suggest an Evans EMAD 2 or the new EMAD Heavyweight (if your local shop has them).

This is all assuming that you want to go with Evans for your replacement heads.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:36 AM

I personally like clear Emperors over Ambassadors on the toms, coated Ambassador (or PS3) over Hazy Ambassador on the snare, and a clear PS3 beater and ported factory front on the bass. I also like the black Aquarian Regulator with 4" offset port on the front bass head for less resonance.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:03 AM

I've been using Evans Black Chromes on the batter with EC resos. They have great tone but a lot of people would classify these heads as dead sounding. Not the best word to describe these but it holds true to a certain extent. I picked up some EC2 clears for my batter a few weeks ago and I just couldn't find a comfortable tuning. I look forward to picking up some Onyx heads in the near future. As for the bass drum, I have an Evans Onyx EMAD on the batter with an Evans Retro Screen on the reso. The Onyx EMAD is deep, focused, and has a nice tight punch. The Retro Screen on the reso makes the bass sound like a cannon. If you're not trying to blow people's faces off I would recommend an EMAD or EQ3 reso.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:12 AM
Platinum Member

I would go g2s over g1's (or remo equivalent) but the main difference is the pinstripe has a control ring, so I don't know if they would be vastly different.

Maybe the black chrome or onyx are going to meet your thuddy needs.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:45 AM
Silver Member

I use G2s over G1s for my toms, no matter the genre. It's just a great overall combo that works well in nearly every situation. Given, however, that you probably want something with a quick decay, you might stick to pinstripes, or try EC2s for batter heads. Black chrome may work, but I find that they sound too dead for me. Also, I second the suggestion of the EMAD 2 batter head. I just put one on my kit, and it sounds great. As for your snare, maybe an EC reverse dot batter head, and a hazy 300 resonant.

With that combination, everything would have a good, thick punch and a quick decay, especially at lower tunings.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:56 PM

I recently put Aquarian Response 2 coateds on all my toms,and I love the sound. Took out some of the plasticky ring, and were much easier to tune. For a snare head, I LOVE the Aquarian triple threat
Old 02-16-2014, 09:10 PM

like the 360 g2 myself I play mostly metal... but I am fill in drummer for other styles of music as well... 360 g2 heads sound great for almost any style
Old 02-17-2014, 04:39 AM
Silver Member

I like clear Emperors over Ambassadors. Focused, fat sound.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

How about pinstripes over ambassadors? That's what they used back in the day, man.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member

Black dots for your batters, and clear ambassadors for your resos. Everyone seems to forget about the black dots. Bass drums tuned wide open with no muffling.

Another thing, thicker heads work better in metal if you're miked up all the time, or those lows you hear never translate out to the audience anyway. If you're not miked up a majority of the time, better to have a little bit of ring. Then you're not working so hard and your drum sound is projecting on its own (at least making an attempt to keep up with the guitarists). What do you think?
Old 02-18-2014, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

I haven't forgotten, Bo. I might go back to them next head change. Steve Gadd played black dots back in the day.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:17 AM

Just got an Aquarian hi-energy and put it on my Yamaha Rock Tour snare. The best head I've heard yet! I really recommend it.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Black dots for your batters, and clear ambassadors for your resos. Everyone seems to forget about the black dots. Bass drums tuned wide open with no muffling.

Another thing, thicker heads work better in metal if you're miked up all the time, or those lows you hear never translate out to the audience anyway. If you're not miked up a majority of the time, better to have a little bit of ring. Then you're not working so hard and your drum sound is projecting on its own (at least making an attempt to keep up with the guitarists). What do you think?
I agree! That's why I use clear single-ply Evans heads- try a G14 on the floor tom and G12s on your other toms. Absolutely mental attack and tone on my stave kit (and the G14s on a 12"/14" tom combo worked well on my last ply kit too). Black dots are very similar to G14s IMO, just a little more focused. Sort of in between a two-ply and thick single-ply.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki03xlh View Post
I have a starclassic performer and I to play rock/metal usually.
I normally would use G2 clear top and G1 clear bottom. I tried coated once and I did like the warm tone but it didn't have the attack I wanted. I fell in LOVE with the Remo smooth white emperors for my starclassics. They are like an in between a coated and a clear. Lot's of attack, but a little warmer and thicker sounding than a clear. I swore by the PS3 for the reso side kick and a remo PS3 or PS4 for the batter.
I also loved a solid front head. I cranked the hell out of the front head, and med to med/tight batter side. BIG punchy and full. Sound guys didn't know what to do because there wasn't a mic port, but we didn't always have a PA so I didn't sweat it.

I tried the pinstripes and they were ok, but they lacked the tone I wanted.
I HATED hydraulics. The EC2s were ok, I'd really give the smooth whites a shot.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:59 AM

Oh, and for a CRANKED snare I really like the emperor X. Otherwise I usually stay with a coated G2 or emperor.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:26 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallitroy View Post
Just got an Aquarian hi-energy and put it on my Yamaha Rock Tour snare. The best head I've heard yet! I really recommend it.
This definitely. This head can take a beating better than a red-headed step child, yet is sensitive and quite responsive. If you like a highly cranked snare, this is what you want. Just be careful, your lugs will give out before the head does.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:58 PM

I have used a hi-energy before, I didn't like the tone of it. It was kind of flat. Tough as hell though!
Old 03-16-2014, 06:05 AM

Clear Pinstripes over Clear Ambassadors - Toms
Emperor X over Ambassador SS - Snare
Clear PS3 and Fiberskyne Reso - Kick (No real reason for the Fiberskyne except it looks good)

You could try Clear Pins over Clear Diplomats for the toms. I have done that for fun and it sounded good.
Vater 2B
Hardware Assorted
Old 05-27-2014, 11:12 PM

I decided to go with coated G2s over clear G1s on the toms. I'm not sure I care for them so far. Compared to the Pinstripes, the toms are a little more open and bright than I prefer. After I wear these heads out, I may try the Black Chrome or go back to Pinstripes.

On the snare, I stuck with my old standby Powerstroke 3 and hazy ambassador. I was going to try the powercenter revese dot, but they were out.

The bass drum now has a clear EMAD2 on the batter and an EMAD Reso facing the crowd (other side of the drum room). After the initial tuning difficulty, the bd sounds pretty good.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:45 PM

Given what you said, you will probably really really enjoy the Black Chromes.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

Bo's right. So many metal guys want that dead thump and I think it sounds terrible live. I've got Starclassic Performers and I've run coated G2 over clear G1, coated G1 over clear G1 and Black Chrome over clear G1. They all sound good but the BC just didn't have enough projection for live work.

I'm back to coated G2 over G1. GMAD/EQ3 kick, PCRD/Hazy 300 snare. Everything wide open other than the small muffle ring on the GMAD.

MeetAtSundown.com
MAS on facebook