DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 01-26-2014, 09:12 PM

Default New and looking for a good pratice routine

Hi everybody! Great site. First off, I'm rather new here. I recently purchased a used Roland electronic drum kit. It has all the pads of a Td 20 (4 toms) 6 drum pads total , 4 cymbals vh12 hi hats and td 12 module. I paid 3500 canadian dollars. I was wondering if any of you could tell me if I got a good deal. Oh yeah, it included dw 9000 double bass drum pedal, snare stand, tractor throne and 5000 hi hat. I believe it is an exceptional deal but was wondering what you guys think. I've played drums off and on over my years. But finally I would like to get a little serious about practice. I have 2 hours a day to practice. How can I make the most of those two hours and what kind of regiment should I do? I've always admired Manu Katche, Mike Brezi(what's his name lol) from Big Country, Danny Seraphine and recently Carter Beauford. I guess you could say I like drummers who play rock/pop with a syncopated jazz feel. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:21 AM

Default Re: New and looking for a good pratice routine

I'm in the same spot you're in. Been fiddling around on the drums for years, but I'm just now getting serious about it. I've been using "A Funky Primer for the Rock Drummer", and so far it's pretty effective. Just make sure to be disciplined about it and do the sections in sequence as the author prescribes. If you jump around and get ahead of yourself, you won't get much out of it.

Good luck. :-)
Old 01-27-2014, 07:27 PM

Thanks for your answers guys. I'm wondering more about rudiments and getting a good jazz feel. And a fast jazz ride. I have the "Stone",Ted Reed, and Chapin books. Now I'm trying to figure a decent daily routine that would incorporate these books. Another question I have is how to learn to be creative with rudiments for fills. I always tend to play snare and can't get a good groove or fill using other drums. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogieon View Post
Thanks for your answers guys. I'm wondering more about rudiments and getting a good jazz feel. And a fast jazz ride. I have the "Stone",Ted Reed, and Chapin books. Now I'm trying to figure a decent daily routine that would incorporate these books. Another question I have is how to learn to be creative with rudiments for fills. I always tend to play snare and can't get a good groove or fill using other drums. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Hopefully you can find a good teacher in your area.

He or she can prescribe a practice routine for you. Since you are starting out...or starting over...a teacher is indispensable in getting you on the right track. Even if it's just one lesson, or a lesson a month, you should find a way to get a good teacher to guide you through all this.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

Benny Greb's language system is really good.