DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 01-26-2014, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

Default Pearl Reference Pure drums

Just throwin' this out there, but does anyone have these drums? I've never ventured around Pearl drums, and have never even seen or played their top-flight drums (hard to believe, I know) but after meeting up with Kevin Packard at the Pearl room at NAMM, and having the man himself show me around the different drum kits and getting to play them a bit, the concept of using different woods and bearing edge cuts depending on the size of the drum was a bit of a new revelation for me.

I was aware of the Tama birch/bubinga stuff, and other combinations of woods, but to me, all the drums in the kit were made this way, and usually that 'second' ply of different woods was always in between the main plies of birch or maple, depending on who made the drum.

But to see a solid maple 12" tom, and as the drums got bigger, they'd add African mahogony, and gave it a different bearing edge - snares got some plies of birch - it was very cool to hear the kit just get more thunderous as you went down the line. Their Session Studio Classics did this as well, but those shells were the same throughout the kit, the effect of the Reference Pure drums was multiplied exponentially in contrast.

I hate to say it, but I was extremely impressed, as my years observing Pearl was seen through "Export-colored-glasses". If anyone actually using these drums can chime in if what I say is true or not, it'd be nice to hear from someone outside of Pearl saying it.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:47 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Pearl Reference Pure drums

I don't have the Pures but I have the original Reference. They are extremely well made from top to bottom. The concept they use really does work and its very well thought out. The rack toms are fairly similar to other high quality kits. As you stated, the larger drums sound insanely deep, with the added mahogany plies. The floor toms and kick drums have so much beef to their sound. The original Refs are thicker and heavier than the Pures, but I'm assuming the results are similar.

Bruce
Yamaha Oak
Yamaha Tour
1966 Ludwig
Old 01-27-2014, 12:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGH View Post
I don't have the Pures but I have the original Reference. They are extremely well made from top to bottom. The concept they use really does work and its very well thought out. The rack toms are fairly similar to other high quality kits. As you stated, the larger drums sound insanely deep, with the added mahogany plies. The floor toms and kick drums have so much beef to their sound. The original Refs are thicker and heavier than the Pures, but I'm assuming the results are similar.

Bruce
Thanks Bruce - its good to hear it from an actual user. In the Pearl room, the Reference and Reference Plus were set up next to each other so I could see and hear the differences, and the only visual difference is the lugs. Of course, the Reference Pures are made thinner and end up being about 30% lighter compared to regular Reference. I was impressed. In a way, it was like I was looking at thin vintage shells, with enough beef where necessary. But that sound coming off of the floor toms was absolutely monstrous, and literally shook the stage it was on.

I would be hard-pressed to have heard any difference if Pearl was on the regular convention floor like last year - that open environment is so loud. This year, them being in their own room really helped. And I got lucky in that it wasn't really crowded and people were being quiet!
Old 01-27-2014, 01:36 AM
Silver Member

Pearl's top stuff is great. Whether their wood blending and edge styles make a huge difference or not (more marketing mojo than anything as far as I'm concerned) they're some of the best drums money can buy, for sure.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:50 AM
Gold Member

I frankensteined a Pearl Masterworks kit, and have known for years these were a cut above the competition. The Reference and Ref pure line are based on same principal and meticulous construction as the Masterworks but are a solid recipe as opposed to allowing the buyer to alter the plys, sizes finish etc. Pearl also boils the glue by heat pressing the plys which I think makes for a shell that resembles a solid one ply shell, yet still retains the high strength of a multi ply shell. The tone of these drums seems to compound and multiply as you lean harder into them. I am very critical of mass produced factory drums in general, but I have nothing negative to say about these models.
Yamaha has tried to do the same concept with their Phoenix line, never played a set, but they probably sound great too.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:02 AM

I always like the reference kits when I have played them (Very little). However I did work with a guy one time that had a reference kit in bop sizes. He told me he loved them when he got them but after awhile he said the kit didn't seem to fit together. He ended up trading them in for a set of Gretsch New Classic kit. I have never heard of anyone else who had this problem but then again I don't know many people who have played them.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
Pearl's top stuff is great. Whether their wood blending and edge styles make a huge difference or not (more marketing mojo than anything as far as I'm concerned) they're some of the best drums money can buy, for sure.
I won't argue about marketing mojo but I do know bearing edge cuts make a huge difference. Take the sharp 45-degree angle and compare that to drums with a flatter bevel. Ludwig has proven this already with their new Club Date drums. It be interesting to see solid maple drums with different edges. But I liked what I heard.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I won't argue about marketing mojo but I do know bearing edge cuts make a huge difference. Take the sharp 45-degree angle and compare that to drums with a flatter bevel. Ludwig has proven this already with their new Club Date drums. It be interesting to see solid maple drums with different edges. But I liked what I heard.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:01 AM
Gold Member

So Bo, when are you buying one?

Guys trust me, as a Ref owner I can tell you the concept isn't marketing hype. You basically have a maple kit. Every Ref drum size starts with maple. Plies of other wood species have been added, to take advantage of the sound properties of those woods. Birch adds high end, we know that. So, birch plies are added to 8 and 10's to take advantage of that. The 12 is fully maple. Starting with 13's, mahogany is added to take advantage of the low end mahogany produces, and bearing edges are rounded on those larger drums to also increase the warmth of those drums. None of this is that earth shattering, except the way Pearl varies from drum to drum on the same kit. Hybrid shells have existed since Ludwig used them way back. Many drum makers have kits now with hybrid shells. And, some have lines with different bearing edge profiles. Pearl isn't the only one to offer these options, except for the variation within the same kit.

Supposedly, Pearl had so many requests from Masterworks buyers to custom order kits with similar specs, they came up with the idea for this line. They got drummers and engineers together and prototypes were developed of different variations on this theme. They played all of these and took feedback from the group on which were the most appealing ply configurations, sound wise. That's how they came up with the exact ply formula they use. Its ingenious as far as I'm concerned. And, it works. I have your standard 10 12 14 16 22, and I can tell you my kit blends very well. I'm just as happy with it now, as when I bought it 3.5 years ago. The original Refs are heavy as all get-out, so my kit stays home. As Bo mentioned, the Pures are lighter weight.

I can also tell you that Pearl is an awesome company to deal with. I'm a huge Yamaha guy, but Pearl handles their business the right way. The higher end kits/drums include a lifetime warranty to the original owner. That's right, lifetime! And, they are responsive to customers and stand behind their product. Some of the nightmare stories I've read on this forum from other new drum buyers... wow...With Pearl, you won't have those issues. Pearl will even let you custom order add-ons if your finish has been discontinued.

Here is an old Ref video from Pearl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lixY3cQHmok
I actually don't like how Dennis Chambers' kit sounds. The snare sounds like a tin can. But I really like Omar's kit. This is one thing that helped convince me to buy my kit.

Bruce
Yamaha Oak
Yamaha Tour
1966 Ludwig
Old 01-27-2014, 04:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGH View Post
They got drummers and engineers together and prototypes were developed of different variations on this theme. They played all of these and took feedback from the group on which were the most appealing ply configurations, sound wise. That's how they came up with the exact ply formula they use.
How many drummers? How many engineers? Who were they? I would have to see proof and the results of this "research" to believe it actually happened, as well as how the tests were created. As far as I can tell, all these companies drive their technological "advances" by marketing departments, in the hopes of solving problems that don't exist.

I'll be impressed when I can buy drums with the number of lugs I want, in the diameter and depth I want. Last time I checked, most companies don't even offer a 15" floor tom anymore. Others don't offer shallower bass drums anymore (only 16" or deeper).

Pearls drums are great, but no way am I going to buy this shell "formula" they're claiming is so fabulous. And they've really lost me with their hardware (which I used to use a lot of).
Old 01-27-2014, 04:23 AM
Platinum Member

I have played on a few Reference kits. I wasn't that impressed. The reasoning and method sounds good, but it just doesn't translate that well into an actual kit. Well, at least not the way Pearl has produced them. Pearl drums sound "sterile" to me. A good, modern drum sound, but no outstanding character. Not my cup of tea, but that's just me.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 01-27-2014, 04:29 AM
Platinum Member

I have played a reference pure but I had more fun on a reference that a friend owns. Maybe because of the environment I was playing it in. They look awesome too.

I thought they were both top kits and I'd happily own them.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Just throwin' this out there, but does anyone have these drums? I've never ventured around Pearl drums, and have never even seen or played their top-flight drums (hard to believe, I know) but after meeting up with Kevin Packard at the Pearl room at NAMM, and having the man himself show me around the different drum kits and getting to play them a bit, the concept of using different woods and bearing edge cuts depending on the size of the drum was a bit of a new revelation for me.

I was aware of the Tama birch/bubinga stuff, and other combinations of woods, but to me, all the drums in the kit were made this way, and usually that 'second' ply of different woods was always in between the main plies of birch or maple, depending on who made the drum.

But to see a solid maple 12" tom, and as the drums got bigger, they'd add African mahogony, and gave it a different bearing edge - snares got some plies of birch - it was very cool to hear the kit just get more thunderous as you went down the line. Their Session Studio Classics did this as well, but those shells were the same throughout the kit, the effect of the Reference Pure drums was multiplied exponentially in contrast.

I hate to say it, but I was extremely impressed, as my years observing Pearl was seen through "Export-colored-glasses". If anyone actually using these drums can chime in if what I say is true or not, it'd be nice to hear from someone outside of Pearl saying it.
Matt, I don't have a Reference Pure set but do have a Reference set and they do sound very good....
Old 01-27-2014, 05:03 AM
Silver Member

Yes, Pearl doesn't get much attention or respect in these parts.
I have a MHP Masters Mahogany Premium Limited Edition Bop kit - 4 ply African Mahogany with 3 ply maple re-rings. They are top notch quality and sound fantastic. Again, not a Reference Pure kit but just another very positive experience with high end Pearl.
I have a good friend with a reference kit, same deal. Hybrid edges, plies, etc. They look great, sound great. Reliable.
We would all stand up and cheer if they did away with the tom holder and came up with something new though...

I like your "Export colored glasses" comment, can I use that ?

Neal

[14 CREW]
Old 01-27-2014, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilg99 View Post

I like your "Export colored glasses" comment, can I use that ?
I suppose I just coined a phrase, but sure you can use it!

When I met with the men from Pearl (Kevin Packard introduced me to the west coast artist rep, and the President of the Company) I just explained to them that my impression of Pearl was not great. I knew Ed Shaugnessy and Louie Bellson played them back in the 70s, even Bernard Purdie played them at one point, but when I got to college, they had an old beat-up Pearl 5-piece that was that wood-fiberglass combination, and that was my first bad impression because I had to play it and it was just horrible. Then when every kid I met in the 80s had an Export in all those gaudy colors it was even more of a turn off.

Yes, I realized that there were high-end Pearl, and very good players were playing them, but nobody ever had them in stock, so you never saw them, and I eventually believed that whatever they were doing was so generic as to not even be worth the look.

NAMM or not, the men from Pearl seemed to understand this and maybe my impression wasn't only me. They've been doing great things in their neck of the woods but they seem to understand they're sorta' fighting their past reputation of the Export (which leads me to believe why they discontinued the line in the first place, then brought it back due to popular demand). I told them I was really impressed with the Session Studio Classic line of drums, but Kevin wanted to personally show me the Reference Pure line, and I was quite impressed. He was even stressing the fact that a high-end drum kit is forever, like a fine watch that gets handed down to the next generation, which led to discussion of the lifetime warranty to the original owner - I'm not sure what that entails but I think the only other lifetime warranty out there is for Craftsman tools! So a company willing to stand that much behind their products is noteworthy, don't you think?

We'll see if I'm so impressed I'd get a kit, but after meeting Pearl people and comparing them to other drum company people I met this past weekend, they seemed more caring and understanding about what I needed and not so much doing the "what do we have to do to get you behind one of our kits?" [EDIT - I suppose I should point out that I was impressed that they'd take the time with me, it's not like I'm anybody and they're certainly selling alot of drums without me anyway]. Kevin knows of my love for the Ludwigs and knows I just got the new ones, so he's not pushing anything, which is really cool on a friend-level ;)

Last edited by Bo Eder; 01-27-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'll be impressed when I can buy drums with the number of lugs I want, in the diameter and depth I want. Last time I checked, most companies don't even offer a 15" floor tom anymore. Others don't offer shallower bass drums anymore (only 16" or deeper).
As previously mentioned, Pearl Masterworks lets you do exactly that (minus the lug quantity specifications). I got a 15" floor tom and a 20x15" bass drum with exactly the number of lugs I wanted and the exact appearance as well by going the custom route with a smaller builder, and it turned out well.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
As previously mentioned, Pearl Masterworks lets you do exactly that (minus the lug quantity specifications). I got a 15" floor tom and a 20x15" bass drum with exactly the number of lugs I wanted and the exact appearance as well by going the custom route with a smaller builder, and it turned out well.
Yeah, I'm not sure what's being complained about here. I have noticed that every high-end drum company will make whatever you want. Some companies do it more easily than others, but they will do it. Perhaps people want more selections from the cheaper lines? I know that's not going to happen. That's why they're the cheaper lines, right?
Old 01-27-2014, 09:00 AM

As far as I know, Pearl has always had a great reputation when it comes to drums. My buddy has a Masterworks kit that I thoroughly enjoy playing. I also got to play on a pure kit at a local GC (there are are no decent local shops here). I loved them.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie15 View Post
As far as I know, Pearl has always had a great reputation when it comes to drums. My buddy has a Masterworks kit that I thoroughly enjoy playing. I also got to play on a pure kit at a local GC (there are are no decent local shops here). I loved them.
Speaking of nobody having them in stock to check out, I was surprised Brady Drums were at NAMM this year - absolutely beautiful drums. However, due to their display size, and being next to a concession booth and the bathrooms, the two drumsets they had were on stages raised up off the floor so high, you could only look at them. They brought a bunch of snare drums, but each one was cranked into it's stand so you couldn't easily just pick it up to check out. It would have been nice to be able to play the drums and get the full Brady experience! Maybe they'll do better next year if they come back.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:15 PM
Gold Member

I had a 20/10/12/14 set of Pearl Reference drums and IMO, the build quality is second to no other drumset I've owned or even seen. They are absolutely top shelf drums in every way. Again, my opinion.

I'll take it a step further and say that I think Pearl makes killer stuff all around. Their Sensitone snare drums are nicer quality than the drums they're emulating (at half the price) and their more reasonably priced "pro" drumsets (Masters MCX, Session Studio, etc...) are higher quality than most other sets in that same price range.

I really like their stuff personally.

I've never played/owned a Reference Pure, but I can only imagine how nice it is. Top shelf all the way.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtThump View Post
I had a 20/10/12/14 set of Pearl Reference drums and IMO, the build quality is second to no other drumset I've owned or even seen. They are absolutely top shelf drums in every way. Again, my opinion.

I'll take it a step further and say that I think Pearl makes killer stuff all around. Their Sensitone snare drums are nicer quality than the drums they're emulating (at half the price) and their more reasonably priced "pro" drumsets (Masters MCX, Session Studio, etc...) are higher quality than most other sets in that same price range.

I really like their stuff personally.

I've never played/owned a Reference Pure, but I can only imagine how nice it is. Top shelf all the way.
I agree - like Yamaha, everything they make drum-wise is really good and solid. I went in very interested in the Session Studio Classics because my favorite player, Will Kennedy, plays them and those were impressive for the price. But when Pearls' National Manager and President talk with you about the Reference Pures privately, there's something to be paying attention too. Both lines are great, but the Pures seem to have this extra something (visually and aurally) I can't put my finger on.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Speaking of nobody having them in stock to check out, I was surprised Brady Drums were at NAMM this year - absolutely beautiful drums. However, due to their display size, and being next to a concession booth and the bathrooms, the two drumsets they had were on stages raised up off the floor so high, you could only look at them. They brought a bunch of snare drums, but each one was cranked into it's stand so you couldn't easily just pick it up to check out. It would have been nice to be able to play the drums and get the full Brady experience! Maybe they'll do better next year if they come back.
Have only heard great things about Brady drums. Not sure if they're particularly handicapped by their NAMM display. Those who consider their drums know exactly what they're going to get.

As far as pearl, yes awesome drums and awesome build quality. The only thing that bugs me is their L-shaped tom holders. But that's purely a cosmetic thing. All of their finishes outside of the basic Piano Black and such must be special ordered too, which kinda sucks.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie15 View Post
Have only heard great things about Brady drums. Not sure if they're particularly handicapped by their NAMM display. Those who consider their drums know exactly what they're going to get.

As far as pearl, yes awesome drums and awesome build quality. The only thing that bugs me is their L-shaped tom holders. But that's purely a cosmetic thing. All of their finishes outside of the basic Piano Black and such must be special ordered too, which kinda sucks.
Agreed on the colors and the L-arms. However, my set-up doesn't utilize L-arms (my one rack tom is always on a snare stand), and a real beautiful piano black is rather nice. The nice thing about black or white is that it coordinates with everything you'd ever do ;)
Old 01-28-2014, 03:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
As previously mentioned, Pearl Masterworks lets you do exactly that (minus the lug quantity specifications).
That's similar to Sonor's SQ2 line of drums. It's definitely a start. But then again, I've been doing that with Gretsch for decades.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:29 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not sure what's being complained about here.
I was just saying that I don't buy the "secret sauce" marketing of adjusting bearing edges and wood composition based on drum size, that's all.

As for custom ordering, I want a 14" floor tom with 6 or 7 lugs. I also want to be able to order a 9" tom or an 11" tom. And maybe a 21" bass drum.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I also want to be able to order a 9" tom or an 11" tom. And maybe a 21" bass drum.
Now that would be cool IMO !
Old 01-28-2014, 03:54 AM

I love my Reference Pure kit (10, 12, 16, 22). These are ply drums so I'm not sure I necessarily buy into the hybrid concept having such influence. All I know is that as a kit, collectively, these drums do gel together and sound so good. Look great and built well. I once owned a massive 9-piece Reference kit and found the thicker shells to be stiff, especially the kick. A bit dead. They also weighed a ton, especially since they didn't initially come equipped with aluminum Opti Mounts. I notice no decrease in volume, though I didn't get the Pures until the Refs were gone so I never A/B'ed them. My Pures are just terrific drums and for my tastes, the Pures addressed all of the issues I had with the thicker-shelled References.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
I love my Reference Pure kit (10, 12, 16, 22). These are ply drums so I'm not sure I necessarily buy into the hybrid concept having such influence.
I think it's still a valid design decision, though yes- it being a ply kit certainly limits the mixology of the individual woods' contributions. It'd be interesting to see a Reference shell composition applied to a segmented kit construction- for example, a 14x12 floor tom being 2 3" deep rings of segmented maple on either side of a 6" deep band of mahogany (assuming that actually would work with the construction) kind of like DW Edge snares.

Still fantastic drums.

I swear I saw an old-ish DW kit in a pawn shop with a 21" bass drum once. And you're not alone in your quest for an 11" tom- that's on my next custom kit wishlist. DrumFactoryDirect has the hoops for it and the 9"!
Old 01-28-2014, 05:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I was just saying that I don't buy the "secret sauce" marketing of adjusting bearing edges and wood composition based on drum size, that's all.

As for custom ordering, I want a 14" floor tom with 6 or 7 lugs. I also want to be able to order a 9" tom or an 11" tom. And maybe a 21" bass drum.
I almost wasn't buying that "secret sauce" marketing either until I got to test them out in person. Of course, Pearl had on display solid maple and solid birch drums too and I got to try them all for comparison, and had I not felt the thunderous lows of this hybrid floor tom with the flatter bearing edges, and compared it to the solid maple 12" tom with the 45-degree bearing edges, and both sounding like they belong to the same kit, I would remain unconvinced. But I'm beginning to believe there is some truth here.

That said, however, this is not to say that you couldn't take a solid "any" wood drum and make it sound great - I've been doing it all my life with whatever drums I could get my hands on, and I do it now with my new Ludwig Classic Maples, and on down the line with all the other drums I've owned over my lifetime. I've even done it with arcylic Vistalites, and the occasional aluminum Trick set. I just think Pearl has done the 'favor' to players by offering this. You can buy whatever you like, and Pearl offers whatever you like. I certainly think it makes more sense than DW's "vertical" grain shells to enhance the lows - I've never heard a difference between vertical grain or horizontal grain (I'm sure some DW guys will flame me for saying that) - and come to think of it, DW came out with that concept right about the same time Pearl came out with their Reference concept - who's to say both companies aren't competing for your drum dollars?

Now, about your custom sizes, I'm sure you can find someone to do it, it'll just take money. Remo has no problem producing odd-sized heads. And the 11" tom was introduced by Tama back in the 80s, and as cool as it was, it didn't do well, hence why Tama doesn't produce them anymore. And it was Neil Peart's idea for DW to make him a 23" bass drum. Funny story - if you go to Pro Drum in Hollywood, I believe those guys still have a small stock of 11" heads in stock, that they can't sell!
Old 01-28-2014, 06:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I almost wasn't buying that "secret sauce" marketing either until I got to test them out in person. Of course, Pearl had on display solid maple and solid birch drums too and I got to try them all for comparison, and had I not felt the thunderous lows of this hybrid floor tom with the flatter bearing edges, and compared it to the solid maple 12" tom with the 45-degree bearing edges, and both sounding like they belong to the same kit, I would remain unconvinced. But I'm beginning to believe there is some truth here.
By "solid", you're referring to all plies being the same wood species, not a stave/steambent/whatever, I assume :)

The increased head contact of a half-roundover, I find, definitely helps control the increased head sustain of a larger diameter drum compared to smaller toms.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:23 AM

This video sold me on the Reference Pure sound. And I've seen and played them in person at Vic's Drum Shop in Chicago. The snare drum is like a gajillion ply. It's crazy good stuff.

http://youtu.be/hiGZfATHY30
Old 01-28-2014, 03:51 PM

I love the reference from the few times I've played one. Though I think most kits in the price range by the known big name brands all sound great. After that it's personal preference what you go for. I was choosing between the origional one but I ended up going for a Yamaha maple custom absolute which I love.

My site http://glastonburydrums.com/drum-blog/
Old 01-28-2014, 06:17 PM
Silver Member

Bo, that is cool that you got to spend some time with Kevin, from what I have read his move from Ludwig to Pearl is a big deal, and bodes (sorry, no pun intended) well for the future at Pearl.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMNY View Post
Bo, that is cool that you got to spend some time with Kevin, from what I have read his move from Ludwig to Pearl is a big deal, and bodes (sorry, no pun intended) well for the future at Pearl.
It was very cool. And getting to meet his Pearl colleagues, and even the president of the company (US side, I think, unless there's only one for the worldwide operation) showed me what a family he became a part of. I did not get that vibe from other manufacturers I visited with.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Hi Matt -

Thank you for stopping by the BRADY booth. We had three drum kits on the floor; two of which were up on risers so the crowds could get a good look at them. There were stairs leading up to the risers so you could play them (like these guys did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG8Xu1xrTH8). We also had a gorgeous "Walkabout Series" Marri ply / Limited Edition Cervantes finish kit on the floor, which seemed to impress attendees. All 31 snare drums were set up to be playable so drummers could hear the difference between each timber species and style of construction. I spent a lot of time this past week lifting the snare drums off the stands and showing off the construction methods by viewing through the snare side head for folks who asked to see it. Sorry we missed touching base personally. I'll give you the grand tour next year!

All the best,

Kelly Brady
Brady Drum Company
kelly@bradydrums.com.au

Old 01-28-2014, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradydrums View Post
Hi Matt -

Thank you for stopping by the BRADY booth. We had three drum kits on the floor; two of which were up on risers so the crowds could get a good look at them. There were stairs leading up to the risers so you could play them (like these guys did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG8Xu1xrTH8). We also had a gorgeous "Walkabout Series" Marri ply / Limited Edition Cervantes finish kit on the floor, which seemed to impress attendees. All 31 snare drums were set up to be playable so drummers could hear the difference between each timber species and style of construction. I spent a lot of time this past week lifting the snare drums off the stands and showing off the construction methods by viewing through the snare side head for folks who asked to see it. Sorry we missed touching base personally. I'll give you the grand tour next year!

All the best,

Kelly Brady
Brady Drum Company
kelly@bradydrums.com.au

Thanks for the personal response, Kelly! I did not see those stairs! I must be blind. Perhaps my mind was just confused from being on the floor - it's crowded and it's loud and we were going out into the lobby to take a break and then coming back in.... I will definitely introduce myself next year and get the tour.

I've always been impressed with Brady snares and have never seen a Brady kit until the NAMM show. I love Steve Jordan's use of the Brady snares, absolutely cracking!
Old 01-28-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:

I guess you could make your own and impress yourself.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I agree - like Yamaha, everything they make drum-wise is really good and solid. I went in very interested in the Session Studio Classics because my favorite player, Will Kennedy, plays them and those were impressive for the price. But when Pearls' National Manager and President talk with you about the Reference Pures privately, there's something to be paying attention too. Both lines are great, but the Pures seem to have this extra something (visually and aurally) I can't put my finger on.
Bo: Will Kennedy actually plays the Reference Pure kits. He often plays the MCX kits and maybe even the SSC kits, depending on what the specific venue has on hand, but the Pearl reps over at the Pearl Online Forum have posted pics of his personal Reference Pure kit in Vintage Tobacco Burst lacquer. Very nice kit.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
Bo: Will Kennedy actually plays the Reference Pure kits. He often plays the MCX kits and maybe even the SSC kits, depending on what the specific venue has on hand, but the Pearl reps over at the Pearl Online Forum have posted pics of his personal Reference Pure kit in Vintage Tobacco Burst lacquer. Very nice kit.
Yeah I just read about that on the Pearl forum too! But as I said, I was really liking what Will was sounding like on the SSC's and those drums were impressive as well. But when you have the MAN show you the Pures and you get to do some comparisons between all those lines, I was just struck that Will Kennedy didn't get into the Pures in the first place!
Old 01-29-2014, 10:23 AM

Well Bo ,i have the normal Ref,but i played the pure to ,the difference is the pure is more airy sounds more light .
And the Ref ,sound more heavier tight .
And the weight is quite a difference. the ref is so heavy ,pure is more lighter.
but thats normal more wood ,more weight.
but what i really like about the ref ,is not only the sound but its so solid and stable ,..
And the bass drum, thats is a killer bass drum .

john
Paiste 602 & 2002