DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 01-29-2014, 06:08 PM
Banned

Default Is this normal?

New drummer here - ~4 months of lessons. I practice rudiments every day for about an hour. I have found something that I think is weird but may be perfectly normal. When I am practicing doubles I find it more "comfortable" to lead with my weak hand. Is this normal or does it indicate some closet ambidexterity? When I was a kid I broke my right arm and had to learn to right cursive lefty, however as soon as I got out of the cast I switched back to righty. My dad forced me to bat left handed in baseball and I am a lefty when playing hockey. I golf righty, and kick righty. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance -

MM
Old 01-29-2014, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Is this normal?

I wouldn't get too hung up on "normal." I'm not sure if there is such a thing.

I'm similar in not having a full understanding of my "handedness."

I classify myself as a lefty, But essentially I only write and swing bats and clubs as a lefty would. Everything else is righty.

I tend to lead my doubles with my right hand, but simply because my right hand tends to mirror my right foot and I've spent years trying to gain large amounts of speed on the right foot.

I would work on not having a "weak hand"
Old 01-29-2014, 06:22 PM
Banned

well said Adam - thanks!
Old 01-29-2014, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member

Normal? Oh, almost certainly not - largely because "normal" doesn't really exist, and if it even does, who cares?

My teacher writes right-handed, eats left-handed and plays left-handed. That's normal for him.

I have a RS inclination, but I don't think it's overly apparent when I play. I change sticking to suit, where it works; where it doesn't work, I lead with my left and don't give it a second thought.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:17 PM
Silver Member

I've found that if I'm trying to nail a sticking pattern or even a groove that is proving to be more than challenging, I switch to left hand lead. I'm lefty by nature but was "converted" to righty by the school I attended in elementary.

By approaching it from the weaker side I feel that the ego is removed from the equation. Yes, ego can affect a singular limb! The right hand thinks it knows everything, LOL.

Anyhow, start things on your left and pretty soon you will get a better understanding of "center handedness" which is how I prefer to approach things. Certain things just sound and feel better being led with the left.

Best Regards,
Bill Ray
http://billraydrums.com
Old 01-29-2014, 09:30 PM
Banned

Thanks guys - much appreciated.