DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 01-02-2006, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Dave Grohl

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummercraig
i am with this man, he is a talented to be able to play all these instruments, but he plays them so poorly, his drumming is poor, in the songs he drums for, he uses no fills and nothing interesting, leaving the piece feeling empty. his guitaring is awful, i am in a band and 1 of my guitarists have been playing for about 1 year! not long, but he can play every single foo fighters song. so he has a gud voice but everything else he is crap at, happy arguing craig
Are you kidding me?

Have you heard the fills in 'No one knows' ?

You shouldn't be so negative about someone else's guitar playing. If Dave's playing is so crap, why does your guitarist even bother learning his riffs? Because Dave plays great, catchy riffs.

Think about your post next time.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalmar
I think it is quite descriptive, he has not specific signature style, no feeling in his playing and now that Nirvana exists no more, he nourishes himself on the former reputation as their drummer and when he started Foo Fighters, he decimated the whole image of himself because of the fact that the music they are bringing is tasteless and macabre.

And also, he tried a futile attempt to play for Queens of the Stonage and where did that lead him, nowhere.
Haha...You don't have a clue what you're talking about :)

He has never used Nirvana to help him forward in the music business. He made a brand new start with the Foo's, and a great start it was.

And his 'attempt' to play for the Queens wasn't futile, he did (and still does, i believe) play for them, on occasion.

Do some research next time.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:35 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdy
Haha...You don't have a clue what you're talking about :)

He has never used Nirvana to help him forward in the music business. He made a brand new start with the Foo's, and a great start it was.

And his 'attempt' to play for the Queens wasn't futile, he did (and still does, i believe) play for them, on occasion.

Do some research next time.
He was awesome with QOTSA! Who's this dude saying he was futile. As far as I'm concerned, he's done a better job with them than joey castillo does.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:38 AM

Dave Grohl was (and still is awesome). He is one of the most under rated drummers of our time. I've been influenced by his drummin' for a long time.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer
He was awesome with QOTSA! Who's this dude saying he was futile. As far as I'm concerned, he's done a better job with them than joey castillo does.
Yup, true.

I saw a live performance of the QOTSA with Dave, he was great...
Old 01-03-2006, 07:56 PM

Well, I have my opinion, you have yours.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I think it is quite descriptive, he has not specific signature style, no feeling in his playing and now that Nirvana exists no more, he nourishes himself on the former reputation as their drummer and when he started Foo Fighters, he decimated the whole image of himself because of the fact that the music they are bringing is tasteless and macabre.

And also, he tried a futile attempt to play for Queens of the Stonage and where did that lead him, nowhere.
For a drummer without a specific style he certainly has influenced quite a few drummers. I feel his drumming has changed many rock drummers approach to playing rock music currently. Where did Daves playing on Qotsa songs for the deaf lead him? Well first it brought an amazing rock band with a good approach to rock music to the forefront of mainstream music. I think the current state of rock needs a good kick in the butt, Qotsa is defintely a good start. Also playing on NIN's new record is quite an acheivement as well. There are a lot of drummers who are a lot less talented making more tasteless rock records than Dave.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlow
For a drummer without a specific style he certainly has influenced quite a few drummers. I feel his drumming has changed many rock drummers approach to playing rock music currently. Where did Daves playing on Qotsa songs for the deaf lead him? Well first it brought an amazing rock band with a good approach to rock music to the forefront of mainstream music. I think the current state of rock needs a good kick in the butt, Qotsa is defintely a good start. Also playing on NIN's new record is quite an acheivement as well. There are a lot of drummers who are a lot less talented making more tasteless rock records than Dave.
I see your point and I agree, but all I can say is that I do not like his style, that's all.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:15 PM

That's understandable, to each his own opinion eh:)
Old 01-05-2006, 11:13 PM

I like this dude! The groove of Smells Like Teen Spirit must be one of the most known. Everytime I try to hit the snare irregular, I always go back to that groove. Watched him playin' (or tryin' would fit there) Stairway to Heaven on guitar and he really messed the whole song up. When I first listend to Foo Fighters I thought he was the drummer. When I found out he wasn't, and he played guitar and sang on it, I was very impressed. It's nice too see him still gong strong after the tough years.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebbe
. Watched him playin' (or tryin' would fit there) Stairway to Heaven on guitar and he really messed the whole song up. When I first listend to Foo Fighters I thought he was the drummer. When I found out he wasn't, and he played guitar and sang on it, I was very impressed. It's nice too see him still gong strong after the tough years.
I think the messing up part was on purpose :)
Old 01-06-2006, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdy
I think the messing up part was on purpose :)
Either way, it sounds irregular and bizarre.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Either way, it sounds irregular and bizarre.
Dunno, to me it just sounds funny. Dave's an entertainer.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:35 PM

for real, i used to look down on dave grohl cuz of nirvana, because me and my friends just didnt like nirvana, but after i listened to the D cd, and after i listened o queens of the stone age, it showed that he was really versatile and now im like wow--- hes good
Old 01-20-2006, 08:09 AM

The thing about Dave Grohl is that he played in a grunge rock band. Grunge rock is a simple style that requires simple beats and fills. He was a great grunge drummer in Nirvana (one of my favorite bands). He also played with Tenacious D (another one of my favorite bands). I have to say, I've never heard him solo or show off in any way. But that doesn't mean he can't. He has a solid sense of time and played well for the bands he was in. I like Dave Grohl's drumming but I love him for the rock image he is. I mean cmon, Nirvana? Foo Fighters? Tenacious D? I love them all.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:11 AM
Pioneer Member

WHY LORD! WHY DID FOO FIGHTERS BREAK UP! Grohl should go back to drums in a new band.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:19 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
WHY LORD! WHY DID FOO FIGHTERS BREAK UP! Grohl should go back to drums in a new band.

er... what the heck are you talking about? foo fighters are alive and well. they just put out a new album, a third single now has a video coming out, and they are touring in europe.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Pioneer Member

first i've heard of a break up. but i'm not very good at keeping my ear to the ground. nothing on their site, and i haven't heard of any conflict. i think they'll definately be having a small break after this tour. i know taylor will be doin coattail riders and i hope to see dave grohl drumming for a few other bands as usual. can't wait...
Old 01-20-2006, 11:34 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
What??? A few friends of mine said they heard on the radio a few times that they are calling it quits after the "In your Honor" tour. Im feckin confused. And another thing, im not a cheap fan, not even sure wtf that is but yea i've been a fan of them since i first heard their music wanker
the foo fighters website doesn't say anything about this. i imagine this is something they'd announce, but i could be wrong.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:45 AM
Pioneer Member

I dont know if this has been said becasue i havent read every reply but, i like his drumming on Tenacious D's album, Dave recorded the drumming for Jack Black and Kyle Gass' band Tenacious D, which i am a fan of, i suggest check them out if you havent heard them.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:42 AM
Silver Member

I was reading Drum Magazine this afternoon, and they were doing profiles of "Great New Blood" in drumming. The drummer from Chimaira said the thing he wanted most for Christmas was to meet Dave Grohl, because he was an "unbelievable drummer".
Also, Mike Portnoy compared him to John Bonham, stylisticly. That might not be a word, but you see where I'm going with this...
He is a pro's pro, and one of the hardest workers in Rock and Roll today.

Noble & Cooley Horizon Reissue, Craviotto Solid Maple 4-Piece
Old 01-21-2006, 08:47 AM
Pioneer Member

man. i've learned alot about Dave Grohl on this page. -_-

chill out guys, yall dont know how ridiculous both of you look, its just a discussion forum, its not a big deal.

So back to my topic, anyone a fan of Tenacious D and Dave's drumming on their album?
Old 01-21-2006, 01:11 PM
Pioneer Member

yeah i heard a few songs, though i don't have the album. i knew that he had been in a video, but as soon as i heard some songs i knew it was him drumming too. i think him and taylor hawkins have very cool sounding drums.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:42 PM

I think Dave is a great drummer, he is a big inspiration in rock drumming for me. I love his drumming in No One Knows by Queens of the Stone Age.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:05 PM

Dave is definately one of my all time favorites, and definately underrated. Seems to be a really cool guy that has fun with everything he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymasta
I need good concert footage of Dave on Drums it could be any band But I've seen a lot of nirvana footage already. so if anyone knows a site with concert footage of dave on the drums Tell Me!
Check out the DVD that comes with "Songs for the Deaf".
"No One Knows" is unbelievable. So good, I even ripped to my PSP.

Suds

Last edited by Suds; 01-22-2006 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:51 PM
Pioneer Member

theres a dvd that comes with that album? i did not know that. i'm gonna hafta get myself a copy of that. does anyone know dave's set up? he seems to use really big toms, and in pictures the drum kit looks very big, despite being a four peice.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin
He was one of my first inspirations when I started drumming. He's got a good style, and it was perfect for Nirvana. He's very humble, not egotistical at all. He's a great drummer and guitarist.
Couldn't agree more, certainly my most influental drummer and guitarist

with

Tama Twin Iron Cobra Pedals

www.myspace.com/sebborocks
Old 01-22-2006, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewanlaing
theres a dvd that comes with that album? i did not know that. i'm gonna hafta get myself a copy of that.

Yes, there is a limited edition one with the bonus DVD. Might be hard to find, although there is one on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174

Suds
Old 01-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Pioneer Member

good ol' amazon. i recommend them for anything.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNut
I heard great things about him.

What album would you recommend for his best drumming?
I would say some of the songs on "From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah" are great examples of his rock solid but tasteful drumming (scentless apprentice, spank thru). Dave Grohl rocks!
Old 05-02-2006, 01:32 AM

u should listen to SCREAM as well (band he was in before nirvana) he joined when he was 17ish.

Best Best best Grohl stuff to listen to has to be In Utero Album like "Scentless Apprentice" he practically come up with the beat and kurt an krist worked around it
and radio unit shifter and milk it...the in utero album had a more raw darker side.

All in all i think he's one of my favourite drummers along with castello.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:55 AM
Pioneer Member

I think Grohl is a pretty good guitarist. I like his rythms. But as for Nirvana and my earlier comment, i should say he is the only thing i liked about Nirvana. Cobain had some pretty good skills on the guitar, but, i don't think his musical ability was anywhere near Grohl or the bassist. But i was listening to songs for the dead, the actual song and grohls drumming on that is awesome. i love the intro he had going on.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:37 AM

I too am a big fan of Dave Grohlís drumming. I think he is a fantastic example of how important a role a drummer can play in a band. His work on the Foo Fighters first LP and Songs for the Deaf is nothing short of brilliant.

Unfortunately, I think that every album from The Colour and the Shape gets progressively worse....but their popularity gets bigger and bigger.......so go figure!

Personally, I think Dave Grohl should stop being a mediocre song writer/guitarist and go back to being an exceptional drummer.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:24 AM

Good point Fardunda. Dave Grohl is a drummer first and foremost.

I love the Foo Fighters' self-titled album (with the raygun), and their second release, Colour and the Shape. Also, There Is Nothing Left To Lose isn't far behind. But after that everything just started going downhill, in my opinion. I did get a chance to see the band live in 2003, and the show was pretty good (loud for sure). Grohl is nothing special on guitar though. Not even close. He should go back to drums.

Quite honestly, I wish he would've just stayed in Queens of the Stone Age. But then again, they have Joey Castillo now, and he sounds great. Dare I say perhaps better than Dave.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:17 PM

he not the greatest drummer in the world but he is good with nirvana,and he is even better in foo fighters now.personly i think he plays guiter better than drums
Old 05-02-2006, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fardunda
Unfortunately, I think that every album from The Colour and the Shape gets progressively worse....but their popularity gets bigger and bigger.......so go figure!

Personally, I think Dave Grohl should stop being a mediocre song writer/guitarist and go back to being an exceptional drummer.
LOL i actually think that every album they've done has been amazing, i can't pick a favourite!

i do really like grohl's drumming on the colour and the shape, not heard much of his drumming for nirvana except the legendary "smells like teen spirit"
Old 05-03-2006, 10:35 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by averypoordrummer
LOL i actually think that every album they've done has been amazing, i can't pick a favourite!

i do really like grohl's drumming on the colour and the shape, not heard much of his drumming for nirvana except the legendary "smells like teen spirit"
yeah, for a while i could only properly get into their earlier stuff. then one day listening to "halo" off one by one, i thought " actually, this is excellent". i think i just didn't get it beforehand.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwaterson66
he not the greatest drummer in the world but he is good with nirvana,and he is even better in foo fighters now.personly i think he plays guiter better than drums
Hi, i realy like the way he plays guitar, but he is not better with the guitar. Dave is a Drummer and also plays guitar.

Is just my opinion.

Hi, I introduce my self, Im Fernando from argentina i play drums in a rock band, here is the site, www.rapelrock.com.ar

Cheers.
e0f-
Old 06-09-2006, 05:50 PM

regardless of personal opinions of his work, the man is a phenomenal all around musician, he plays, sings, and records all very, very well and has a great time while doing it. personally i love his music, but more than that i got mad respect for a guy who keeps his carrer going after being in one of the most influental bands of all time. Even if you dont like nirvana, they along with a few other 90's bands paved the way for the sound of rock today just like bands like the Beatles, Zeppelin, The Who, Cream, and many others have done in the past. just my view -TC
Old 06-09-2006, 06:38 PM

A lot of people wrote Dave off after Kurt Cobain killed himself. Who would of thought that he would emerge to have such a great career. I thought the Nirvana stuff was good but his Foo Fighters (both drumming and writing) as well as the Queens work is just spectacular.