DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 10-24-2005, 09:05 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Dave Grohl

*cough*splutter*gag*!! you met the foos?? lucky guy.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:12 PM

Dave Grohl is a simple drummer but there is one song that he did with Nirvana that no one gives him any credit for and that is Scentless Apprentice off of In Utero. That song is all single pedal and it still till this day gives me a hard time. The only way to keep that beat going consistintly is with heel toe. I have heard a solo of his when he was with Nirvana and all he played was a sloppy triplet. Wasn't too good but overall I say he is a good drummer and one of my first influences.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:42 PM

dave may be overatted, and not a "good guitarist" but he has been in the game for ever, and i dont see him leaving anytime soon. The Foo Fighters are becoming bigger every year, so dave is probly chillin' collecting very large sums of money, and living the life we all dream of, so in my opinion, dave grohl is a p.i.m.p
Old 11-13-2005, 06:15 PM

You guys......listen to 'A Song For The Dead' on QOTSA's Songs For the Deaf.........it will blow you away. IMO he is the second strongest drummer to Bonham
Old 11-15-2005, 02:18 PM

I remember reading an issue of metalhammer dedicated to the Foo Fighters and throughout the magazine they displayed Dave as The BEST drummer in the world, I cant say i agree with this but i think he is a good arounded drummer, but he doesent amaze me like other drummers for example Donati or Gadd.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:02 PM

Dave Grohl is a great musician, and that is where he gets my respect. I call myslf a drummer, but im also a guiarist/singer/songwriter. the fact that he was a drummer and now is up as a frontman is evidence enuf 4 me 2 give him my respect. and he is a very gd drummer also. 'A Song for the Dead' is a great QOTSA track, and "No One Knows" is also a goodie that you can check out on Grohl's page on the Drummerworld site.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:01 AM
Pioneer Member

I think Dave Grohl is great. I have to agree with everyone who has said that he may not be the most technical drummer, but his ability to interpret the music is second to none. Aside from his drumming, he's just a cool guy in general. I enjoy watching his interviews just as much as I enjoy watching him play drums.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:46 AM

Yea, he does look like a funny guy. Especially watching some of the Foo Fighters video clips. I'm still waiting for the 'funny video' off their latest album......I just hope they haven't got too serious :(
Old 11-21-2005, 01:33 PM

Much inspired clearly by Bonham is he. Hard-pounding one, trully is he.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Much inspired clearly by Bonham is he. Hard-pounding one, trully is he.
Speaking like Yoda are we??? (Sorry, if this werne't the case, i couldn't miss this joke anyway :p)

Check out also the song "First it Giveth" from the QOTSA album where he plays. Great single bass drum work, I wouldn't believe if the band hadn't said so!!
Old 11-22-2005, 06:53 AM
Pioneer Member

I like what he did with the song "tribute" by tenacious D
Old 11-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Pioneer Member

oh yeah, i forgot he played that album. that was some tasteful drumming there too, as tasteful as tenacious d can be.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:33 PM

In his drumming, just like in his guitar playing, he isn't about playing technical stuff. He's about playing great sounding stuff, that really fits the music.

To me, he's a great musician. He has great sounding guitar riffs, and kicks ass on the drums.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:55 AM

imo, dave grohl is one of the better all around musicians, hs a great drummer and a killer singer, not bad at guitar either
Old 12-14-2005, 09:08 PM
Pioneer Member

yeah, he did a small guitar battle with the other foos guitarist guy, and seemed really good (though im no expert.) although i think the other guy won. taylor hawkins was supposed to be singing an acoustic number, but everything seemed to have been cranked up for grohl's drumming.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:40 PM

the foo fighters are awesome because they have 2 killer drummers in the band
Old 12-17-2005, 11:24 PM

he has a killer ending in a queens song(''song for the dead'')listen this song.i didnt like that much the song but drums are awesome.
i think he s the best in the modern rock arena of today.i admire him and taylor hawkins.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:14 AM
Thinshells

I like Dave's work, almost all of it. He has excellent versatility and has a lot of excellent material.

I like "Nevermind" but nothing else from Nirvana. I like a lot of stuff from the Foo fighters.

Dave need not be the best at anything, to be exceptionally entertaining at everything.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:51 PM

i agree dave grohl wass awsome in nirvana but i dont agree he was the only good thing but i think he was really only good in nirvana
Old 12-19-2005, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdy
In his drumming, just like in his guitar playing, he isn't about playing technical stuff. He's about playing great sounding stuff, that really fits the music.

To me, he's a great musician. He has great sounding guitar riffs, and kicks ass on the drums.

i really only think his voice sounds good when kurt it singing with him except for marigold, and i find his guitar riffs rather boring, but he is my favorite drummer, and in moby dick he does a wonderfull job his fill ins sound better then bonham in my opinion
Old 12-19-2005, 10:39 PM

Playing technical and busy is great and all but the question I always ask myself is, "does it fit the music? does it have the right feel?"...

Too many drummers get caught up in trying to play fancy, like they feel the need to show off for some reason. Gives me a sense of insecurity.
If what they were playing fit the song, great, but most of the time it does not.
Just sounds like a drum solo laid on top of a guitar riff.

Dave gets my respect for playing for the song. Simple, powerful, and with the right feel.
He is a good musician.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:55 PM

He's just awesome and his drums are huge!! I want drums that big
Old 12-22-2005, 03:15 PM

Great drumming on Nirvana's album, but he hits way too hard. There is no logical reason to strike a drum that hard!
Old 12-22-2005, 04:41 PM

http://www.fooarchive.com/gpb/rhythmhalloffame05.htm
he has joined to the rhythm hall of fame and taylor hawkins scoops best rock drummer of 2005
Old 12-22-2005, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturna
http://www.fooarchive.com/gpb/rhythmhalloffame05.htm
he has joined to the rhythm hall of fame and taylor hawkins scoops best rock drummer of 2005
I think they deserve it :)
Old 12-28-2005, 11:21 PM
~tamadrummer~

the first song i ever learned to play was "come as you are" and he is my main insperation in drums.Not only is he a kick ass drummer hes a cool guy too.If you wanna see something funny watch the all dreses version of "in bloom" its on nirvanaclub.com its hilarious.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantantreal
Dave Grohl = Not only good thing about nirvana
Dave Grohl = Horrid guitarist
Dave Grohl = Generic vocalist
Dave Grohl = Overrated drummer
i am with this man, he is a talented to be able to play all these instruments, but he plays them so poorly, his drumming is poor, in the songs he drums for, he uses no fills and nothing interesting, leaving the piece feeling empty. his guitaring is awful, i am in a band and 1 of my guitarists have been playing for about 1 year! not long, but he can play every single foo fighters song. so he has a gud voice but everything else he is crap at, happy arguing craig
Old 12-30-2005, 01:38 PM
Pioneer Member

not often i get to say this on a forum but you're wrong. i can't agree with you on that at all. his drumming is not poor, you just haven't listened to much of his stuff. his guitar skills may not be incredible, but judging by how long he's been playing "crap" is hardly going to be correct. you seem to have forgotten the golden rule of being a musician. play for the song, not for yourself.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:38 PM

i must be mistaken about his guitar skills, sorry! but his drummnig isnt excellent, on drummerworld the only pieces on his profile are 2 songs, and in them 2 songs he makes the piece sound empty, using no fills, and thew main reason i find his drumming dissapointing is because, the main part of drumming is to add in technical routines, this he does not use in the piece.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:05 PM
Pioneer Member

thats true. listen to the rest of that queens of the stone age album and it'll sound better. that song was mainly impressive speed. as for nirvana, smells like teen spirit is again not his best work with them. he also drummed on the first 2 foo fighters albums.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:33 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummercraig
i must be mistaken about his guitar skills, sorry! but his drummnig isnt excellent, on drummerworld the only pieces on his profile are 2 songs, and in them 2 songs he makes the piece sound empty, using no fills, and thew main reason i find his drumming dissapointing is because, the main part of drumming is to add in technical routines, this he does not use in the piece.
Hang on, the main purpose of drumming is to show off your chops? Are you kidding? Dave is a great groove drummer, and the fact that he doesn't throw in fills every four bars is a nice demonstration of the fact that he's very good at understanding song shape and structure. When Dave does a fill it usually needs to be there, it's not just showing off.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
i am with this man, he is a talented to be able to play all these instruments, but he plays them so poorly, his drumming is poor, in the songs he drums for, he uses no fills and nothing interesting, leaving the piece feeling empty. his guitaring is awful, i am in a band and 1 of my guitarists have been playing for about 1 year! not long, but he can play every single foo fighters song. so he has a gud voice but everything else he is crap at, happy arguing craig

This a great way to measure talents of rock musicians who make multi-platinum recordings each time they make a record. Your guitarist who has been playing guitar for a year can play 3- chord rock... Wow amazing. Listen up, Dave Grohl plays rock music. He isn't leading an orchestra. Last time I checked rock was about playing your instrument loud and having a good time. Also when does rock drumming have to be about fills? Most good rock drummers know when to lay back and keep the beat. Think Phil Rudd of ACDC. Rock for the most part isn't about improvisation. Another thing, what's wrong with Dave's voice? He sings in key doesn't he? Your arguments are not very convincing. You may not like Dave Grohl and that's fine. However, he is a very respected and talented musican with a lot of accomplishments. He didn't get where he is today because he isn't talented.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:57 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
woaaaaaah.

where did you ever get that impression about drumming?

as different as they are stylistically, the dave grohl / ringo starr comparison that has already been made is a very fair one. both are dismissed for the same reason - too much musicality! too much awareness of the song! ridiculous.

dave grohl is a fantastic drummer who redefined what it meant to be a rock drummer in the mainstream by harkening back to the traditions of john bonham. you want a heavy, pounding drum rhythm? then hit the #%@ing drums - hard! no amount of compression or studio editing can take away the fact that he beat the heck out of those drums. but only when it made sense - as was also already mentioned, he has some of the most tasteful playing i've ever heard on the unplugged album.

as a guitarist and a vocalist - he is a phenomenal songwriter. he is a more than competent guitarist, even if he's not the greatest thing to happen to the instrument. and he's an amazing vocalist - his voice is perfect for the style, he sings every song with conviction, and the dude can SCREAM.

all of that may be overcompensating for the dismissal i've been seeing in this thread. but the fact is - the guy can play. give credit where credit is due. if you had the chance to play with him, you would.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:00 PM

Damn, can't you have an opinion without getting mangled, if he doesn't like Dave Grohls drumming, let him do that.

I don't like him either. Personally, I think that he is a lame drummer.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalmar
Damn, can't you have an opinion without getting mangled, if he doesn't like Dave Grohls drumming, let him do that.

If your going to state an opinion for your dislike of a drummer, back it up. Lame is not a very descriptive adjective for drumming.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:22 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:

You can have an opinion. Others can have the opinion that your opinion is incorrect and based on some silly assumptions about music. Both are quite welcome to be expressed.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:34 PM

Look Dave grohl can play two instruments but he said in an interview that Drums were his first love and he loves playing music. He said he's happy to have become a simple drummer when he first started out. He Still comes up with some amazing stuff I mean I can't stop listening to queens of the stone age songs for the deaf because Dave Grohl on that album is absolutely AMAZING!! even Queens said that he was the best drummer they have ever seen and jammed with and Queens have played with many drummers for so many years now! And he can play guitar pretty well to. I need good concert footage of Dave on Drums it could be any band But I've seen a lot of nirvana footage already. so if anyone knows a site with concert footage of dave on the drums Tell Me!
Old 01-02-2006, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlow
If your going to state an opinion for your dislike of a drummer, back it up. Lame is not a very descriptive adjective for drumming.
I think it is quite descriptive, he has not specific signature style, no feeling in his playing and now that Nirvana exists no more, he nourishes himself on the former reputation as their drummer and when he started Foo Fighters, he decimated the whole image of himself because of the fact that the music they are bringing is tasteless and macabre.

And also, he tried a futile attempt to play for Queens of the Stonage and where did that lead him, nowhere.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursingdrummer
the guy can sing, play guitar, and is asked to play drums for just about everyone out there.... including Tom Petty......hats off to ya Dave!

screeeeeeeeeeech...Tom Petty has only ever had TWO drummers, and neither of them were named Dave Grohl. (Unless Dave played for Tom OUTSIDE of the Heartbreakers)

Dave Grohl has some very good drum tracks on the Tenacious D album. The one thing I don't like about Dave is he plays the same things over and over, whether its Nirvana, QOTSA, Tenacious D, etc.

Steve Ferrone is a modern day classic, btw.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:18 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I think it is quite descriptive, he has not specific signature style, no feeling in his playing and now that Nirvana exists no more, he nourishes himself on the former reputation as their drummer and when he started Foo Fighters, he decimated the whole image of himself because of the fact that the music they are bringing is tasteless and macabre.

And also, he tried a futile attempt to play for Queens of the Stonage and where did that lead him, nowhere.
he was invited to play on an album and had no intention of going back to the drums. his first love is drums he states, but it is clear from his actions over the years that he is putting most of his work into the foo fighters. it's not his fault if he's famous for nirvana, and if he used that fame to promote the foos i say good on him, he earned it. your opinion of the foo fighters music is your own, so i won't argue.