DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 10-24-2005, 09:05 PM
ewanlaing's Avatar
ewanlaing ewanlaing is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 227
Default Re: Dave Grohl

*cough*splutter*gag*!! you met the foos?? lucky guy.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-24-2005, 09:12 PM
FloEy FloEy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 102
Default Re: Dave Grohl

Dave Grohl is a simple drummer but there is one song that he did with Nirvana that no one gives him any credit for and that is Scentless Apprentice off of In Utero. That song is all single pedal and it still till this day gives me a hard time. The only way to keep that beat going consistintly is with heel toe. I have heard a solo of his when he was with Nirvana and all he played was a sloppy triplet. Wasn't too good but overall I say he is a good drummer and one of my first influences.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-25-2005, 04:42 PM
DetroitMetal DetroitMetal is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Detroit
Posts: 11
Default Re: Dave Grohl

dave may be overatted, and not a "good guitarist" but he has been in the game for ever, and i dont see him leaving anytime soon. The Foo Fighters are becoming bigger every year, so dave is probly chillin' collecting very large sums of money, and living the life we all dream of, so in my opinion, dave grohl is a p.i.m.p
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-13-2005, 06:15 PM
rabbitfoot rabbitfoot is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15
Default Re: Dave Grohl

You guys......listen to 'A Song For The Dead' on QOTSA's Songs For the Deaf.........it will blow you away. IMO he is the second strongest drummer to Bonham
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11-15-2005, 02:18 PM
Magic Maple's Avatar
Magic Maple Magic Maple is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 37
Default Re: Dave Grohl

I remember reading an issue of metalhammer dedicated to the Foo Fighters and throughout the magazine they displayed Dave as The BEST drummer in the world, I cant say i agree with this but i think he is a good arounded drummer, but he doesent amaze me like other drummers for example Donati or Gadd.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 11-15-2005, 11:02 PM
fxt_fella fxt_fella is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand
Posts: 19
Default Re: Dave Grohl

Dave Grohl is a great musician, and that is where he gets my respect. I call myslf a drummer, but im also a guiarist/singer/songwriter. the fact that he was a drummer and now is up as a frontman is evidence enuf 4 me 2 give him my respect. and he is a very gd drummer also. 'A Song for the Dead' is a great QOTSA track, and "No One Knows" is also a goodie that you can check out on Grohl's page on the Drummerworld site.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 11-16-2005, 12:01 AM
burnthehero's Avatar
burnthehero burnthehero is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Big Tex
Posts: 1,183
Default Re: Dave Grohl

I think Dave Grohl is great. I have to agree with everyone who has said that he may not be the most technical drummer, but his ability to interpret the music is second to none. Aside from his drumming, he's just a cool guy in general. I enjoy watching his interviews just as much as I enjoy watching him play drums.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 11-20-2005, 07:46 AM
fxt_fella fxt_fella is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand
Posts: 19
Default Re: Dave Grohl

Yea, he does look like a funny guy. Especially watching some of the Foo Fighters video clips. I'm still waiting for the 'funny video' off their latest album......I just hope they haven't got too serious :(
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 11-21-2005, 01:33 PM
Elan Morin Tedronai Elan Morin Tedronai is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12
Default Re: Dave Grohl

Much inspired clearly by Bonham is he. Hard-pounding one, trully is he.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 11-22-2005, 01:25 AM
candlemass's Avatar
candlemass candlemass is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 51
Default Re: Dave Grohl

Quote:
Much inspired clearly by Bonham is he. Hard-pounding one, trully is he.
Speaking like Yoda are we??? (Sorry, if this werne't the case, i couldn't miss this joke anyway :p)

Check out also the song "First it Giveth" from the QOTSA album where he plays. Great single bass drum work, I wouldn't believe if the band hadn't said so!!
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 11-22-2005, 06:53 AM
rendezvous_drummer's Avatar
rendezvous_drummer rendezvous_drummer is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Posts: 3,182
Default Re: Dave Grohl

I like what he did with the song "tribute" by tenacious D
__________________
LET THE PEOPLE SING
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 11-22-2005, 07:53 PM
ewanlaing's Avatar
ewanlaing ewanlaing is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 227
Default Re: Dave Grohl

oh yeah, i forgot he played that album. that was some tasteful drumming there too, as tasteful as tenacious d can be.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12-06-2005, 04:33 PM
lfdy's Avatar
lfdy lfdy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 144
Default Re: Dave Grohl

In his drumming, just like in his guitar playing, he isn't about playing technical stuff. He's about playing great sounding stuff, that really fits the music.

To me, he's a great musician. He has great sounding guitar riffs, and kicks ass on the drums.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12-14-2005, 12:55 AM
BigDon2005's Avatar
BigDon2005 BigDon2005 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: dillsboro, Indiana
Posts: 21
Default Re: Dave Grohl

imo, dave grohl is one of the better all around musicians, hs a great drummer and a killer singer, not bad at guitar either
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 12-14-2005, 09:08 PM
ewanlaing's Avatar
ewanlaing ewanlaing is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 227
Default Re: Dave Grohl

yeah, he did a small guitar battle with the other foos guitarist guy, and seemed really good (though im no expert.) although i think the other guy won. taylor hawkins was supposed to be singing an acoustic number, but everything seemed to have been cranked up for grohl's drumming.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 12-14-2005, 09:40 PM
BigDon2005's Avatar
BigDon2005 BigDon2005 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: dillsboro, Indiana
Posts: 21
Default Re: Dave Grohl

the foo fighters are awesome because they have 2 killer drummers in the band
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 12-17-2005, 11:24 PM
nocturna's Avatar
nocturna nocturna is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: istanbul/turkey
Posts: 10
Default Re: Dave Grohl

he has a killer ending in a queens song(''song for the dead'')listen this song.i didnt like that much the song but drums are awesome.
i think he s the best in the modern rock arena of today.i admire him and taylor hawkins.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 12-18-2005, 09:14 AM
Thinshells
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dave Grohl

I like Dave's work, almost all of it. He has excellent versatility and has a lot of excellent material.

I like "Nevermind" but nothing else from Nirvana. I like a lot of stuff from the Foo fighters.

Dave need not be the best at anything, to be exceptionally entertaining at everything.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 12-19-2005, 09:51 PM
greygoose's Avatar
greygoose greygoose is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: canada
Posts: 19
Default Re: Dave Grohl

i agree dave grohl wass awsome in nirvana but i dont agree he was the only good thing but i think he was really only good in nirvana
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 12-19-2005, 10:15 PM
greygoose's Avatar
greygoose greygoose is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: canada
Posts: 19
Default Re: Dave Grohl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdy
In his drumming, just like in his guitar playing, he isn't about playing technical stuff. He's about playing great sounding stuff, that really fits the music.

To me, he's a great musician. He has great sounding guitar riffs, and kicks ass on the drums.

i really only think his voice sounds good when kurt it singing with him except for marigold, and i find his guitar riffs rather boring, but he is my favorite drummer, and in moby dick he does a wonderfull job his fill ins sound better then bonham in my opinion
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 12-19-2005, 10:39 PM
Zalloy's Avatar
Zalloy Zalloy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 154
Default Re: Dave Grohl

Playing technical and busy is great and all but the question I always ask myself is, "does it fit the music? does it have the right feel?"...

Too many drummers get caught up in trying to play fancy, like they feel the need to show off for some reason. Gives me a sense of insecurity.
If what they were playing fit the song, great, but most of the time it does not.
Just sounds like a drum solo laid on top of a guitar riff.

Dave gets my respect for playing for the song. Simple, powerful, and with the right feel.
He is a good musician.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 12-19-2005, 10:55 PM
Jaymasta's Avatar
Jaymasta Jaymasta is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 288
Default Re: Dave Grohl

He's just awesome and his drums are huge!! I want drums that big
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 12-22-2005, 03:15 PM
Lingenfelter Twin Turbo Lingenfelter Twin Turbo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Helena, Alabama
Posts: 25
Default Re: Dave Grohl

Great drumming on Nirvana's album, but he hits way too hard. There is no logical reason to strike a drum that hard!
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 12-22-2005, 04:41 PM
nocturna's Avatar
nocturna nocturna is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: istanbul/turkey
Posts: 10
Default Re: Dave Grohl

http://www.fooarchive.com/gpb/rhythmhalloffame05.htm
he has joined to the rhythm hall of fame and taylor hawkins scoops best rock drummer of 2005
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 12-22-2005, 06:35 PM
lfdy's Avatar
lfdy lfdy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 144
Default Re: Dave Grohl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturna
http://www.fooarchive.com/gpb/rhythmhalloffame05.htm
he has joined to the rhythm hall of fame and taylor hawkins scoops best rock drummer of 2005
I think they deserve it :)
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 12-28-2005, 11:21 PM
~tamadrummer~
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dave Grohl

the first song i ever learned to play was "come as you are" and he is my main insperation in drums.Not only is he a kick ass drummer hes a cool guy too.If you wanna see something funny watch the all dreses version of "in bloom" its on nirvanaclub.com its hilarious.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 12-30-2005, 09:44 AM
drummercraig drummercraig is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: leicester
Posts: 10
Default Re: Dave Grohl

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantantreal
Dave Grohl = Not only good thing about nirvana
Dave Grohl = Horrid guitarist
Dave Grohl = Generic vocalist
Dave Grohl = Overrated drummer
i am with this man, he is a talented to be able to play all these instruments, but he plays them so poorly, his drumming is poor, in the songs he drums for, he uses no fills and nothing interesting, leaving the piece feeling empty. his guitaring is awful, i am in a band and 1 of my guitarists have been playing for about 1 year! not long, but he can play every single foo fighters song. so he has a gud voice but everything else he is crap at, happy arguing craig
__________________
i drum because god told me to!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 12-30-2005, 01:38 PM
ewanlaing's Avatar
ewanlaing ewanlaing is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 227
Default Re: Dave Grohl

not often i get to say this on a forum but you're wrong. i can't agree with you on that at all. his drumming is not poor, you just haven't listened to much of his stuff. his guitar skills may not be incredible, but judging by how long he's been playing "crap" is hardly going to be correct. you seem to have forgotten the golden rule of being a musician. play for the song, not for yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 12-31-2005, 12:38 PM
drummercraig drummercraig is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: leicester
Posts: 10
Default Re: Dave Grohl

i must be mistaken about his guitar skills, sorry! but his drummnig isnt excellent, on drummerworld the only pieces on his profile are 2 songs, and in them 2 songs he makes the piece sound empty, using no fills, and thew main reason i find his drumming dissapointing is because, the main part of drumming is to add in technical routines, this he does not use in the piece.
__________________
i drum because god told me to!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 12-31-2005, 04:05 PM
ewanlaing's Avatar
ewanlaing ewanlaing is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 227
Default Re: Dave Grohl

thats true. listen to the rest of that queens of the stone age album and it'll sound better. that song was mainly impressive speed. as for nirvana, smells like teen spirit is again not his best work with them. he also drummed on the first 2 foo fighters albums.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 01-01-2006, 07:33 PM
finnhiggins's Avatar
finnhiggins finnhiggins is offline
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,430
Default Re: Dave Grohl

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummercraig
i must be mistaken about his guitar skills, sorry! but his drummnig isnt excellent, on drummerworld the only pieces on his profile are 2 songs, and in them 2 songs he makes the piece sound empty, using no fills, and thew main reason i find his drumming dissapointing is because, the main part of drumming is to add in technical routines, this he does not use in the piece.
Hang on, the main purpose of drumming is to show off your chops? Are you kidding? Dave is a great groove drummer, and the fact that he doesn't throw in fills every four bars is a nice demonstration of the fact that he's very good at understanding song shape and structure. When Dave does a fill it usually needs to be there, it's not just showing off.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Superlow's Avatar
Superlow Superlow is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 702
Default Re: Dave Grohl

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummercraig
i am with this man, he is a talented to be able to play all these instruments, but he plays them so poorly, his drumming is poor, in the songs he drums for, he uses no fills and nothing interesting, leaving the piece feeling empty. his guitaring is awful, i am in a band and 1 of my guitarists have been playing for about 1 year! not long, but he can play every single foo fighters song. so he has a gud voice but everything else he is crap at, happy arguing craig

This a great way to measure talents of rock musicians who make multi-platinum recordings each time they make a record. Your guitarist who has been playing guitar for a year can play 3- chord rock... Wow amazing. Listen up, Dave Grohl plays rock music. He isn't leading an orchestra. Last time I checked rock was about playing your instrument loud and having a good time. Also when does rock drumming have to be about fills? Most good rock drummers know when to lay back and keep the beat. Think Phil Rudd of ACDC. Rock for the most part isn't about improvisation. Another thing, what's wrong with Dave's voice? He sings in key doesn't he? Your arguments are not very convincing. You may not like Dave Grohl and that's fine. However, he is a very respected and talented musican with a lot of accomplishments. He didn't get where he is today because he isn't talented.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01-01-2006, 07:57 PM
OceanDirt OceanDirt is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Haven, CT/Miami, FL
Posts: 179
Default Re: Dave Grohl

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummercraig
i must be mistaken about his guitar skills, sorry! but his drummnig isnt excellent, on drummerworld the only pieces on his profile are 2 songs, and in them 2 songs he makes the piece sound empty, using no fills, and thew main reason i find his drumming dissapointing is because, the main part of drumming is to add in technical routines, this he does not use in the piece.
woaaaaaah.

where did you ever get that impression about drumming?


as different as they are stylistically, the dave grohl / ringo starr comparison that has already been made is a very fair one. both are dismissed for the same reason - too much musicality! too much awareness of the song! ridiculous.

dave grohl is a fantastic drummer who redefined what it meant to be a rock drummer in the mainstream by harkening back to the traditions of john bonham. you want a heavy, pounding drum rhythm? then hit the #%@ing drums - hard! no amount of compression or studio editing can take away the fact that he beat the heck out of those drums. but only when it made sense - as was also already mentioned, he has some of the most tasteful playing i've ever heard on the unplugged album.

as a guitarist and a vocalist - he is a phenomenal songwriter. he is a more than competent guitarist, even if he's not the greatest thing to happen to the instrument. and he's an amazing vocalist - his voice is perfect for the style, he sings every song with conviction, and the dude can SCREAM.

all of that may be overcompensating for the dismissal i've been seeing in this thread. but the fact is - the guy can play. give credit where credit is due. if you had the chance to play with him, you would.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Jalmar's Avatar
Jalmar Jalmar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 101
Default Re: Dave Grohl

Damn, can't you have an opinion without getting mangled, if he doesn't like Dave Grohls drumming, let him do that.

I don't like him either. Personally, I think that he is a lame drummer.
__________________
-The Ωne Hand Roll-
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Superlow's Avatar
Superlow Superlow is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 702
Default Re: Dave Grohl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalmar
Damn, can't you have an opinion without getting mangled, if he doesn't like Dave Grohls drumming, let him do that.

I don't like him either. Personally, I think that he is a lame drummer.

If your going to state an opinion for your dislike of a drummer, back it up. Lame is not a very descriptive adjective for drumming.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 01-01-2006, 08:22 PM
finnhiggins's Avatar
finnhiggins finnhiggins is offline
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,430
Default Re: Dave Grohl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalmar
Damn, can't you have an opinion without getting mangled, if he doesn't like Dave Grohls drumming, let him do that.

I don't like him either. Personally, I think that he is a lame drummer.
You can have an opinion. Others can have the opinion that your opinion is incorrect and based on some silly assumptions about music. Both are quite welcome to be expressed.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Jaymasta's Avatar
Jaymasta Jaymasta is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 288
Default Re: Dave Grohl

Look Dave grohl can play two instruments but he said in an interview that Drums were his first love and he loves playing music. He said he's happy to have become a simple drummer when he first started out. He Still comes up with some amazing stuff I mean I can't stop listening to queens of the stone age songs for the deaf because Dave Grohl on that album is absolutely AMAZING!! even Queens said that he was the best drummer they have ever seen and jammed with and Queens have played with many drummers for so many years now! And he can play guitar pretty well to. I need good concert footage of Dave on Drums it could be any band But I've seen a lot of nirvana footage already. so if anyone knows a site with concert footage of dave on the drums Tell Me!
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 01-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Jalmar's Avatar
Jalmar Jalmar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 101
Default Re: Dave Grohl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlow
If your going to state an opinion for your dislike of a drummer, back it up. Lame is not a very descriptive adjective for drumming.
I think it is quite descriptive, he has not specific signature style, no feeling in his playing and now that Nirvana exists no more, he nourishes himself on the former reputation as their drummer and when he started Foo Fighters, he decimated the whole image of himself because of the fact that the music they are bringing is tasteless and macabre.

And also, he tried a futile attempt to play for Queens of the Stonage and where did that lead him, nowhere.
__________________
-The Ωne Hand Roll-
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 01-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Stu_Strib
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dave Grohl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursingdrummer
the guy can sing, play guitar, and is asked to play drums for just about everyone out there.... including Tom Petty......hats off to ya Dave!


screeeeeeeeeeech...Tom Petty has only ever had TWO drummers, and neither of them were named Dave Grohl. (Unless Dave played for Tom OUTSIDE of the Heartbreakers)

Dave Grohl has some very good drum tracks on the Tenacious D album. The one thing I don't like about Dave is he plays the same things over and over, whether its Nirvana, QOTSA, Tenacious D, etc.

Steve Ferrone is a modern day classic, btw.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 01-02-2006, 03:18 PM
ewanlaing's Avatar
ewanlaing ewanlaing is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 227
Default Re: Dave Grohl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalmar
I think it is quite descriptive, he has not specific signature style, no feeling in his playing and now that Nirvana exists no more, he nourishes himself on the former reputation as their drummer and when he started Foo Fighters, he decimated the whole image of himself because of the fact that the music they are bringing is tasteless and macabre.

And also, he tried a futile attempt to play for Queens of the Stonage and where did that lead him, nowhere.
he was invited to play on an album and had no intention of going back to the drums. his first love is drums he states, but it is clear from his actions over the years that he is putting most of his work into the foo fighters. it's not his fault if he's famous for nirvana, and if he used that fame to promote the foos i say good on him, he earned it. your opinion of the foo fighters music is your own, so i won't argue.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com