DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-25-2014, 05:47 AM

Default Flat stands strong enough to support 12" tom?

Does anyone have experience with flat based hardware being strong enough and stable enough to mount a 12" tom.

I have a Gretsch New Classic bop kit that mounts the 12" tom to a cymbal stand. I'm considering expending my hardware so I can have both of my kits set up at the same time. I'm currently using Ludwig Atlas Standard hardware with no issues but I'd like to move all that Hardware back to my other kit and get some flat based hardware for my Gretsch.

I know DW, Gibraltar, and Ludwig have flat hardware. I'm mainly looking at the Gibraltar because of cost but I would also consider the Ludwig Atlas Classic since I am quite happy with my existing Ludwig hardware.

Any thoughts or experience with mounting toms to flat based stands?
Old 01-25-2014, 07:05 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Flat stands strong enough to support 12" tom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiller598 View Post
Does anyone have experience with flat based hardware being strong enough and stable enough to mount a 12" tom.

Any thoughts or experience with mounting toms to flat based stands?
Um...yeah, with flat-based stands, you have to set them up *juuuuuuust right* for it to work. I used to gig with a set of flat-based stands, and when I did, the snare was on a snare stand. Flat-based stands become a detriment when you set up on uneven surfaces (like sloped driveways or lawns or unlevel stages).

If you dig flat-based stands for your cymbals, go right ahead, but I would recommend bringing a "regular" stand as a backup, or just to use in general to save yourself some setup time.

Check out the thread on my kit in my signature--I have a lightweight and compact hardware solution.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195