DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 04-08-2014, 05:10 PM

Default What pedals to get? George Kollias or Derek Roddys?

Hello, I am new to using this site so am not sure weather or not I will actually get any feedback but am hoping I do.

I am starting up drumming again after not playing for a few years. I played with chain driven DW 5000s for about 5 years and felt they held me back from reaching speeds I want.

I am now trying to decide between witch pedals to get. After the reserch I have done it seems it's either going to be the George Kollias or the Derek Roddy.

I have seen some posts/youtube videos talking about flaws in Axis pedals but, even with that Axis seems to be a sure choice due to the longboard and direct drive witch makes complete sense. Can I have some opinions as to witch would be better for speed? I can find NOTHING on the GK... Not a single youtube video nor a thread of people discussing them, other than one where GK himself is talking them up. But would love to hear other people's opinions who are not benefiting from selling the product.

What I like about the Derek Roddy pedals (witch I have not played neither myself) is the 21 angle on the #1 piece. From the looks that seams like it would make going fast much easier because you would have less distance between the beather and the drum head...
BUT
Then I seen George Kollias saying the 21 actually hurts you when trying to reach high speeds? GK if you are reading this yourself would you mind going into further detail on this? Or anyone who has played with both pedals for that madder?

What I like about the George Kollias pedals is the toe on the direct drive. Allthough I have not been able to see it in action like I have had the privilege of seeing Derek Roddys pedals because Derek Roddy himself made a video explaining so.

SO GEORGE KOLLIAS can you please do the same? Or if you do have a video maybe I just am not looking in the right places to find it? Can someone send me a link if so?

I did have an idea... IF I could manage to get Axis to send me just the #1 piece off the DR set would it fit on the GK pedals? Seems that would work well together? Maybe I'm wrong.

I do understand experience comes before what pedals you're using but I am also a firm believer that your tools plays a big part in it as well.

Both GK and DR are great drummers and I am a HUGE fan of both. George I do favored a little more.

ANY incite would be much appreciated! Thank you very much for taking the time to read!

Last edited by Drumin-Josh; 04-08-2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Did not realise I was starting a new thread when I posted this. I thought I was replying to an existing thread but this works
Old 04-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Double pedal for fast smooth double bass

Run a search in the gear section and you'll get dozens of hits. Not sure what GK and DR means.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:42 PM
Administrator

GK = George Kollias (Axis signature pedal)
DR = Derek Roddy (Axis signature pedal)

How the heck are we supposed to know this?? ;-)
(Ok, that was so-so kidding, I was alluding to the abbreviations.)

Well it seems you're pretty much settled on Axis. While they're supposed to be among the fastest double pedals there's a bunch of alternatives you might check out before buying.
Let me add that I haven't really improved in speed since having Axis longboards although they feel nice. In the end it's your feet and the amount of (quality) practice you're putting in what makes all the difference - as you probably know already. Don't overthink when it comes to gear (and even technique).

Welcome to the forum!
(Your post isn't off topic any more - I've moved it into a separate thread...)

Last edited by Arky; 04-08-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:57 PM

I certainly agree with Arky. Speed is more your own physical make-up than a pedal. Once your own physiology reaches its maturity through playing, pedals tend to increase nuances of general use. I'd be hard pressed to believe DR or GK cannot reach the speeds they play at on any pro pedal, or even on well-made pedals of lesser consumer level. At this point what they do is in their brains and legs and feet. The personal aspects of pedal design help achieve things easier from one player to another, but the foundation is there in their anatomy.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:36 PM

Like i said before...

I do understand experience comes before what pedals you're using but I am also a firm believer that your tools plays a big part in it as well.

but thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:09 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: What pedals to get? George Kollias or Derek Roddys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumin-Josh View Post
I played with chain driven DW 5000s for about 5 years and felt they held me back from reaching speeds I want.
This MAY be a problem for you (ie switching from chain driven to direct drive).
I went from Iron Cobra's (chain) to Pearl Demons (direct) and while the Demons are indeed faster/ smoother, they did take a lot of getting used to (they felt almost "too fast" if that makes sense- like I was playing out of control).
Not trying to dissuade you at all but just consider it's a different experience when switching from one pedal drive to the other.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:24 AM
Administrator

I haven't seen George play but have seen Derek up close and personal . In fact I was in charge of handling the fire extinguisher when he had a clinic here in case the pedals caught fire. If you can use the pedals Derek does at the speed he plays, you will be in fine shape. This photo was taken right after I doused his shoes. Don't know who the ghost is in the background.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2014, 01:32 AM

I watched a video recently where Derek Roddy discusses his signature pedal, as well as George Kollias'. In the video, he mentions how his 21 degree angle is designed to give more power, and thus be more versatile than George's, who's angle is supposed to be for an extremely light feel.

Here's the video so you can see for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ6qXuTV4r0

I think if you're wanting to play at fast speeds, either pedal will serve you very well. But don't take our word for it, get out and try out both models if at all possible.

Cheers!

"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900
Old 04-10-2014, 12:07 AM

I have played both the DR and regular longboards with the VDL. The DR does actually hit harder. I bent some beaters at about a 20 degree angle to try and approximate the feel for use in my regular longboards and they were a pretty close match to how the DR feel after some adjustments. The GK looks like a regular longboard but with an easier spring adjustment system and modified beaters.

I would say if you are not going to use the e-kits and want to play louder go for the DR.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Senior Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumin-Josh View Post
Like i said before...

but thanks for the feedback.

Not nearly as much as you'd like to think my friend.

As Tim Waterson told me, "If you can't do it on the floor with no pedals then you can't do it."

I've seen Kollias hit his crazy speeds on a Pearl Eliminator. Same for Mangini.

It's NOT the pedal. The more you think it is the more excuses you will give yourself for not progressing.

But, If you are looking for the best direct drive pedal made, check out the Malleus.

I will be posting a review within a few days but as a long-time Axis player, this pedal is next level.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
Not nearly as much as you'd like to think my friend.

As Tim Waterson told me, "If you can't do it on the floor with no pedals then you can't do it."

I've seen Kollias hit his crazy speeds on a Pearl Eliminator. Same for Mangini.

It's NOT the pedal. The more you think it is the more excuses you will give yourself for not progressing.

But, If you are looking for the best direct drive pedal made, check out the Malleus.

I will be posting a review within a few days but as a long-time Axis player, this pedal is next level.
I would agree that if you can't do the technique "on the floor without pedals" then you probably can't do it properly with pedals, but I would disagree with that if it is regarding speed.

As far as choosing a "faster smoother" pedal, I have found that speed comes when the pedal feels right. In other words it's not a faster pedal on it's own, it's a better feeling pedal which should translate to more speed.

Now, once you get so fast that your pedal strokes are very, very small twitching movements then possibly you might want to concern yourself with which pedals allow you to play ultra lightly with speed. But for the drummer in the sub 300 bpm range still hitting with some power I believe what matters is the feel of the pedal, not any supposed inherent speed in a box.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:46 PM
Gold Member

These pedal discussions are great. What is fastest? What is smoothest? What is best?

There is no correct answer. The one that will fit categorically into your needs is the one that feels best under your feet. There is no magic pedal. If there was, we would all be playing it. The reason you are hearing guys like Derek and George now is because they have put years into what they do. You don't see all their hard work, only the results of said work.

Mechanically, all pedals are basically the same concept. Sure there are differences in the cams, drive systems, spring setups, blah blah blah. You have to determine what feels best to you. Just because it works for someone else does not mean it will work for you. Put your feet on as many pedals as you can and let your feet decide. Would a DR or GK stick immediately make your hands faster? No.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
. . . . . . Would a DR or GK stick immediately make your hands faster? No.
You had me all the way up to that point. Probably not a good analogy because sticks are not mechanical devices.

Quote:
There is no magic pedal. If there was, we would all be playing it
That's a great point!

I would add that there is a reason pedals have adjustments. Because different settings can help you play better. One has to conclude, therefore, that if adjustments make a difference, then so would different pedals. But it's foolish to chase after whichever pedal is currently being used by this person or that. They are using them because they work for them.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud7h4 View Post
You had me all the way up to that point. Probably not a good analogy because sticks are not mechanical devices.

I would add that there is a reason pedals have adjustments. Because different settings can help you play better. One has to conclude, therefore, that if adjustments make a difference, then so would different pedals. But it's foolish to chase after whichever pedal is currently being used by this person or that. They are using them because they work for them.
Okay, true, that was probably not a good analogy.

I agree with you about the adjustments to a degree. They can certainly make a pedal more comfortable to use, and they can also allow the pedal to be tailored to better accommodate the user. This will help for sure, but in todays age of pedals you can adjust pedal A to feel and act just like pedal B, C, and D.

I am a set it and forget it person. Once it does what I want I leave it alone. Sometimes I think there are too many adjustments and that can be frustrating if the user knows what they want the pedal to do, but aren't sure how to set the adjustments to work together for them. This might be a factor in why there are so many unhappy pedal owners.