DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 03-28-2014, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Kick drum spur. As mentioned below, it is a bit aggravating that the rubber foot rests on the rim. I doubt that it will affect anything.

For what it's worth, this also happened on my yamaha club custom. (New model) which BTW was a 20x15 size.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2014, 08:32 AM

Backside of the kick drum spur.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2014, 08:41 AM

Bass drum claw. I was surprised with this piece of hardware. Nicely machined and again as stated by Jim in his review, fit like a glove on the wooden hoop.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2014, 08:46 AM

One more of the claw.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2014, 09:13 AM

14"x14" floor tom. I like the finish. I can see how some find it dull. It is somewhat industrial in appearance compared to a flashy finish.
Myself, I like a more natural look to my drums. I'm not a environmentalist either but I appreciate what and where the shell came from.

It hasn't hit the road yet so I have no idea how resilient the finish is to hits and bumps from live gigging. For me I'm not worried as I take care how they are handled and always transported in cases.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2014, 09:17 AM

I tried o get a close up of the finish. Cruddy iPhone pics! Lol
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2014, 09:19 AM

Inside of the new signet shell. Pretty much appears to be raw.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2014, 09:20 AM

Bearing edge close up shot.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2014, 09:22 AM

One more of the bearing edge. Quite the thin shell!
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2014, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvestdrum View Post
The hardware was packaged well too. Also separated for each shell. 14" floor tom
I can't help thinking that the labour cost associated with the packaging (organising parts nicely, etc) must come precariously close the the labour cost to assemble a traditionally constructed kit offshore. I wonder if the hoop/head/hardware packs are made up in Asia, rather than being volume bin stocked, picked, & packed in the USA?

Not relevant to me or anyone outside of Ludwig - just curious.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:22 PM

I would say the cardboard insert with the lugs and mounts are put together in Asia however they do come with Ludwig USA heads so I would assume they do the shrink wraping in the US. I had actually thought about the time it takes to package these kits and my conclusion is that they were much easier to pack than they were to unpack. Also one thing that I did not like was the drum key that came with the set. it was a cheap china drum key. Sure it works but I have a thing for drum keys and for the life of me I was wondering why they couldn't throw in one of their branded drum keys. It would have been a nice extra touch and only cost them a few extra dollars also the clear ludwig heads are awful on the rack tom. I would have payed an extra 20 bucks for even some coated Ludwigs which I have never had a problem with in the past.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I can't help thinking that the labour cost associated with the packaging (organising parts nicely, etc) must come precariously close the the labour cost to assemble a traditionally constructed kit offshore. I wonder if the hoop/head/hardware packs are made up in Asia, rather than being volume bin stocked, picked, & packed in the USA?

Not relevant to me or anyone outside of Ludwig - just curious.

I thought the same thing! More work in the packaging process than just completing the shells.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:33 PM

I still haven't had the chance to play the new Signets and now looking like a good few weeks before a live gig.

The drums (toms) seam to tune up well. I used some fairly new remo coated ambassadors on top and clear heads on the bottoms. The 12 and 14 required very little tuning effort to get a nice tone. Just after wrinkles provided a low warm tone. The kick needed a little more work but that could be from the factory heads.

I plan on replacing them soon so we will see how that changes things. Probably will start with a emad or Gmad.

I've listed a few some of my likes but to be fair, I have a few nit-pic's too.

One of the kick drum tension rods came bent. How the heck does that happen? In its bent condition it was unusable, I had to place on the floor a tap on it with a hammer.

The rods didnt spin as smooth as I like in the lugs. A little grease helped. I guess I'm spoiled though, Pearls stainless rods threading into the brass barrel nuts was much smoother.
This was also present in my pricey Yamaha's too that cost three times the Ludwig.
I can be rather picky in the details LOL but I just deal with it....doesn't affect the drums performance.

I understand the choice of not wanting to have extra hardware for this series. But why use the same heavy floor tom leg mount on the rack tom?

Another is well mentioned below and I'm in the same boat. Kick drum spurs raise the front higher than I would like. I doubt this will bother me. Also when the spur is in its transport position the rubber foot hits or rests on the reso hoop.
This also happened with my yamaha bass drum.

That said, the spur is nicely machined. Looks clean and does what it's supposed to.

Personally, I would like to have a Tom mount on the bass drum, or at least the option even if it were a few bucks more. Funny, for years all I wanted was the clean look of a virgin shell. Now after so much gigging with limited time and space I like the convenience of a Tom mount.
The super light weight setup on the Club Custom has spoiled me.

A couple pluses I never mentioned, floor tom legs come with memory locks! Thank you Ludwig! The rack tom even has one.

The cost, remember the cost! North American maple shell.....remember the cost! LOL

The floor tom leg mounts are Atlas or Atlas inspired so I can use the new adapters to mount a cymbal.

Anywhoo, most of my analness is just being picky. Im a guy that notices the details. None of my critical points affect the drums performance and most likely would not bother anyone else.

So far I'm very pleased with this purchase! They will fill a need but I don't think I would have any problems if they were my only drumset and I did corp or highend gigs.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:15 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
The kick needed a little more work but that could be from the factory heads.

I plan on replacing them soon so we will see how that changes things. Probably will start with a emad or Gmad.
Emad's a winner on these, you'll like it!

Quote:
One of the kick drum tension rods came bent. How the heck does that happen? In its bent condition it was unusable, I had to place on the floor a tap on it with a hammer.
Eeek... :(

Quote:
I understand the choice of not wanting to have extra hardware for this series. But why use the same heavy floor tom leg mount on the rack tom?
Tom, fl tom leg and cymbal L-arm mounts are traditionally the same piece of hardware. This is their new shell-mount isolation mount, and agreed, it's a little bulky. But, drummers have come to expect bulkier hardware. If people see a perfectly functional old-school P-1216-D mount, thn they say it's lightweight.

Quote:
Personally, I would like to have a Tom mount on the bass drum
Me as well, so I installed one myself! :)

Bermuda
Old 03-30-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Emad's a winner on these, you'll like it!

Cool, thanks!

Me as well, so I installed one myself! :)

Bermuda

Hmmm, may need to do this too!
Old 03-30-2014, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I thought the same thing! More work in the packaging process than just completing the shells.

Without the hardware in place it would make it harder to tell where to place the badge, which side is up.

Ooopsy.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:53 AM

totally just shared this on the POV thread but it's my new Signet finally set up!!! And my first Supraphonic. I have never loved my drum gear more!!!
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2014, 04:56 PM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclem View Post
totally just shared this on the POV thread but it's my new Signet finally set up!!! And my first Supraphonic. I have never loved my drum gear more!!!
very very nice, great snare too,your all set for gear!
Old 04-05-2014, 05:49 PM

Very nice, that's my finish too! I'm going to take mine into the studio next week. :)

Bermuda
Old 04-05-2014, 08:02 PM

Is it just me or does that floor tom sing?! even with the factory head! I ordered some aquarian modern vintage II's for everything but i may leave the weather kings on for a while.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclem View Post
Is it just me or does that floor tom sing?! even with the factory head! I ordered some aquarian modern vintage II's for everything but i may leave the weather kings on for a while.
I couldn't get the factory heads to sing at all. Then I realized that my reso heads (Ludwig mediums) were a little warped. I ended up with a coated Ambassador on the 12 and a Vintage A on the Floor tom and the stock batters as resos (about the same as a G1 or Ambassador). Now they both sing.

I have never really used Remos other than on my snare and I must say that I am impressed with the life they brought to these drums. I'm sure Evans or Aquarians would do the same (I'm not drum head brand loyal). So let me know how the Aquarians sound. I have always wanted to try some out. I did get to try the studio X on a Pearl Sensitone Elite and it sounded great.

Also as a little follow up to what I think of these drums since playing them live:

They are warm and resonant. They have a nice warm punch too. Not as punchy as a birch kit but a little punchier than most maples. This is probably due to the bearing edges or maybe that the drum vents through each lug. There is not a long sustain on these drums at least with the coated heads and what sustain there is seems to be very soft and warm (can't think of a better way to explain it)

I tried the bass drum with a stock head no muffling and it seemed very weak and papery. I then taped a small shammy style towel to the inside of the batter head and got a really nice full punch. I still need to order a new head for it as it does have more punch than I need and not enough warmth yet so I may go with an Emad or a Coated PS3. I have always used emads so I will probably end up trying out the PS3 first.

I got a lot of complements on the drums from my band members. On both looks and sound, they are pretty blunt and would tell me what they thought of them without concern of my feelings. But they did notice they angle of the bass drum and said it was kind of odd. Which I agree with but being behind the kit I can't tell a difference and it doesn't look bad from the front.

Overall I am not regretting this purchase and I fully believe that this kit is going to stand the test of time, it is very solid. I have been playing drums for more than half my life now and I can stand behind this product.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:31 PM

I believe it was a mistake for Ludwig (I assume its Ludwig) to be advertising these as an "entry level" kit.

There are pro features on this kit. Atlas hardware, American maple. These are not beginners features in my eyes, and I believe by marketing it with the "entry level" sticker you put a stigma on them that they do not deserve.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:55 PM
Administrator

I have looked at many websites, Ludwig, Music 123, Musiciansfriend, etc. and I don't see entry level anywhere. I see the "up and coming" lable and "early player" but not entry level. I think the "up and coming" has more to do with the cost than it does skill level. But I will keep looking.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeelDrummer View Post
I believe it was a mistake for Ludwig (I assume its Ludwig) to be advertising these as an "entry level" kit.
I know Ludwig doesn't intend for these to be considered entry-level drums, and as it happens, the price is higher than most - including Ludwig's - entry-level kits.

My impression when I first was aware of them was that they're a pro-level American kit at a very attractive price... if you don't mind assembling them one time. the concept of entry-level never came up either in my mind, or in how I watched Ludwig present them at NAMM.

Bermuda
Old 04-10-2014, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeelDrummer View Post
.........I believe by marketing it with the "entry level" sticker you put a stigma on them that they do not deserve.

You mean the price tag?

Seems the BD spurs could be considered entry level, maybe the plastic on the lugs, these not considered 'Pro level' and could stigmatize the offering as cheap(er).

Those are more like features you'd find on a beginners kit, but 'it is' those features that keep the price down.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
You mean the price tag?

Seems the BD spurs could be considered entry level, maybe the plastic on the lugs, these not considered 'Pro level' and could stigmatize the offering as cheap(er).

Those are more like features you'd find on a beginners kit, but 'it is' those features that keep the price down.
Didn't the Sonor S Classix have a plastic part on their lug at one point in time. Also I would say that these bass drum spurs are super sturdy. Sturdier than alot of others I have tried and also much better than the gull wings that some companies like to put on their top of the line kits.

Obviously this kit is not a flagship model but you are honestly just looking for things to complain about., and you don't even have this kit. why not go put one together and play it for a while before you start picking it apart.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerjims View Post
Obviously this kit is not a flagship model but you are honestly just looking for things to complain about., and you don't even have this kit. why not go put one together and play it for a while before you start picking it apart.
Exactly. It's one thing to form an opinion about something without actually using or even seeing it in person. It's another to hold onto that opinion even after all aspects have been credibly explained by those of us who own and use the drums.

As I've already said, if anyone has a genuine objection to the drums based on their perception, even after their objections and concerns have been answered repeatedly, then the Signets are not for them.

You and I and other open-minded members will continue to know things about the Signets that "Les" does not. Not a problem for me, he's not required to buy them. My Signets are sounding great and heading to 2 gigs this weekend and then the studio with Al.

Bermuda
Old 04-10-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
You mean the price tag?

Have you ever pulled a lug off of a 4,000 dollar DW Collectors kit? I have and guess what, there is a plastic sleeve that holds the barrel nut in place. If you loose that sleeve you are SOL.
There is nothing on this new signet lug that states cheap entry level item. It's actually nicely finished. Much nicer than some of the hardware that came on a Yamaha kit I had that cost over 2 grand.

I'm not crazy about the none adjustable spur, only because the kick drum sits about a inch higher than what I prefer. Does this state " low quality"? Not at all! It's nicely machined and looks very elogant It also is very sturdy. I really doubt that it will ever fail.

Who knows, just maybe the engineers that designed this spur and drum shell found that the extra clearance between the shell and floor or stage surface allowed the shell to perform better.

Last edited by harvestdrum; 04-10-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm not crazy about the none adjustable spur, only because the kick drum sits about a inch higher than what I prefer. Does this state " low quality"?
So yeah, it seems the BD spurs could be considered an entry level design, even tho every entry level set I've encountered did have adjustable spurs.

Quote:
Please, Im not 'complaining' about anything and I feel the rational approach is to "pick it apart" as you say b/f you drop the $1000.00 makes more sense than buying the kit, then finding out you're not happy with the non adjustable BD spurs as an example. Thank god forums exist for that opportunity.

Quote:
Have you ever pulled a lug off of a 4,000 dollar DW Collectors kit? I have and guess what, there is a plastic sleeve that holds the barrel nut in place.
Standard, accepted practice to put a nylon retainer 'inside' a metal drum lug, its protected. Plastic on the outside of a drum lug? Up until now its been considered 'entry level'.

Will non adjustable BD spurs and plastic on the outside of the lugs 'stigmatize' SIG105? Possibly down the road, we shall see how the plastic takes the effects of scratching and fading. Might be OK, might not. Until then- only perceptually stigmatized (Stigmata1☺5).

I've seen more than one kit with plastic lugs that had been rashed out, wasn't pretty, the set looked devalued.

Quote:
It's one thing to form an opinion about something without actually using or even seeing it in person
And its another thing to form an opinion about someone else's opinion about why/how a drum set is marketed. No ones required to be open mined about these opinions, and right, no ones required to buy SIGNET105's
Old 04-10-2014, 02:32 PM

Looks like the intro sale price is over on these now.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:46 PM
Administrator

This was my thoughts on page 1 of this thread and it hasn't changed. And if you don't like the concept, or the plastic or the non adjustable spurs, or any other nit picking thing for Gods sake stay away from them.

Post #31
I would assume that Ludwig has done enough testing that they didn't blindly pack these up and move them to the NAMM show where the pickiest crowd in the world would be looking at them with a fine toothed comb. And based on the idea what a great concept for all companies to now offer the DIY kit option for all kits. One box shipping with all of the drums in one box, a box sitting in the middle of the shells with all of the hardware, and maybe a 200.00 price reduction so that you could put them together. One box would cut their shipping costs in half or more, less cause for damage with no lugs bouncing around and hitting another drum packed in the same box. We have all seen that. I would wait and see if this truly is more of a convenience and money saver for the customer, or just a money saver for Ludwig and their crew. I tought about holes expanding etc, but if the drum is tuned and has any tension on the heads at all the lugs are not moving. 60 years old drums don't have widening holes so I would not fear these. Right on Ludwig.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member

First its the good reviews on the supralite and I went and got one & yes it's a great snare, now the good reviews on the signet kits is making me want to trade in my Ludwig "Epic's"...lol....damn you Drummerworld....lmao

congrats on your signet's.

Bonzolead
Old 04-10-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
And its another thing to form an opinion about someone else's opinion about why/how a drum set is marketed.
Don't take it from me simply because my relationship with Ludwig goes beyond what a typical artist would have, and that I knew about the Signets long before any here had even heard of them. Don't believe what I say about Ludwig's intentions after observing and participating and speaking to dealers about the Signets (and more) during the majority of the NAMM show. And most importantly, because I own and use the Signets, you can be assured that I know nothing about them.

But do believe this: I know things that you will never know, because I keep my eyes and ears open.

And, please accept my apology for my repeated attempts to educate you, that was completely my fault and must have been very frustrating for you.

Bermuda
Old 04-10-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I have looked at many websites, Ludwig, Music 123, Musiciansfriend, etc. and I don't see entry level anywhere. I see the "up and coming" lable and "early player" but not entry level. I think the "up and coming" has more to do with the cost than it does skill level. But I will keep looking.

http://www.musicradar.com/us/news/dr...ictures-592964

From Link:

"NAMM 2014: Ludwig had a new range and plenty of awesome finishes to show at this year's NAMM.

Most eye-catching was the new Signet 105 range. An entry-level kit aiming to deliver plenty of higher end features. The name refers to Ludwig's 105 years of American drum crafting."

Music Radar review... thats where I saw it. I know it shouldnt matter... but it turned me off a little bit to see it listed there and I believed it to be an unfair label. I think you are right I dont think anyone else has called it that or advertised it that way... but it stuck in my mind.

Myself, the only reason I dont own a set of these is because I picked up two kits in the past 6 months. But its still a struggle not to walk out of the store with them.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:37 PM
Administrator

I stand corrected. But I will say if that is the case then this is one entry level kit that I would buy.

p.s. I emailed the magazine or web site to see where they picked up the term entry level.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:59 PM

Bermuda and others with experience on this kit:

Would you consider this an upgrade from Yamaha Stage Custom Birch (circa 2011)? All opinions are welcomed. I'm really thinking of pulling the trigger and selling SC's. I played this kit (with the 20" BD) and it blew my mind! Sonic powerhouse IMO. I would go with the 22 and get the natural finish though.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I stand corrected. But I will say if that is the case then this is one entry level kit that I would buy.

p.s. I emailed the magazine or web site to see where they picked up the term entry level.

Yeah, who knows where the term came from. There is nothing listed on Ludwig's site making this claim.

Another note I just found and this may explain why the 20" kick drum sits higher is because the same stiletto spur is used on the 22" kick drum too. I guess they did not plan on having to design two separate lengths for the spur.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephDAqui View Post
Bermuda and others with experience on this kit:

Would you consider this an upgrade from Yamaha Stage Custom Birch (circa 2011)? All opinions are welcomed. I'm really thinking of pulling the trigger and selling SC's. I played this kit (with the 20" BD) and it blew my mind! Sonic powerhouse IMO. I would go with the 22 and get the natural finish though.

I personally like the signets better than the stage custom but it really depends on what you are looking for. If you want a maple sound then these will be better but if you like the birch sound then the Stage custom is better.

But I will tell you it is not a downgrade to go from the stage customs to a signet. Go check some out and decide for yourself.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerjims View Post
I personally like the signets better than the stage custom but it really depends on what you are looking for. If you want a maple sound then these will be better but if you like the birch sound then the Stage custom is better.

But I will tell you it is not a downgrade to go from the stage customs to a signet. Go check some out and decide for yourself.
Thanks man, that's what I thought, and I did play the 4pc signet at a local GC and I was floored - the attack of birch and the body of maple. I have a maple gretsch renown which is a reference point for me, and after playing that often, and a dw kit at my rehearsals, I'm starting to lose interest in birch. The SC's are good, to make mine better I upgraded the hoops, but there are things I noticed that still makes the SC's cheap:

1) 6 lugs on 14" floor tom
2) Cheap lugs on the whole kit
3) 8 lugs on the BD.
4) Mysterious birch - although crafted well, still questionable

So I agree, a Signet is a step up.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:35 AM
Platinum Member

Yamaha refers to the Stage Customs as entry level.
There is one kit, one step down - Gigmaker, but there are several things on the Stage Customs that do kind of say 'entry level'.
That said, I'm satisfied with them.

There are a couple things I'm not too excited about with the Signets also. But I think that from this quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephDAqui View Post

....I'm really thinking of pulling the trigger and selling SC's. I played this kit (with the 20" BD) and it blew my mind! Sonic powerhouse IMO....
it seems like it would be a good move for you.