DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 02-24-2014, 08:23 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks127 View Post
I just spoke with them at this GC location. It's the three piece, not 4... They say it IS a kit that was at NAMM.
Well, if it's a 22/12/16, then it could be one of the two Teak kits from NAMM (even though that's only a partial TeraBeat configuration - the 10" is missing.)

Still a steal at $599!

Bermuda
Old 02-24-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I just spoke with them at this GC location. It's the three piece, not 4 as TheHeelDrummer has already mentioned and it's the Indian Teak finish. They're changing the item online to reflect. They say it IS a kit that was at NAMM.
I was just coming on to share my experience with them.

Last night I called but it was late and there was no drum guy there. So the guitar guy tried to help me out. Said it was Teak and he could only find three pieces.

This morning I called GC and spoke to Sasha online. She said they couldnt guarantee they wouldnt sell it because they were closed and its not like they could put it behind the counter for me because they werent open yet. So I bought it, under the condition that I would talk to the store to confirm what it was before they shipped it and I had to pay for it.

12:00 ET I call back and speak with Cole, who informs me its a three piece with a 12 up, 14 floor and 20 bass. Which is weird because that doesnt match up with what Bermuda said was at NAMM... but its possible Cole was wrong. Either way I was out.

So I had to call GC online back up and cancel the order.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:09 PM

Understood. It's still a good deal for a Gigabeat config. I'm not looking to buy as I have another kit that's coming in on Wednesday but I was going to seriously consider having two kits if this was a real Terabeat 4 pc in blue or ebony for $599. :)
Old 02-24-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Understood. It's still a good deal for a Gigabeat config. I'm not looking to buy as I have another kit that's coming in on Wednesday but I was going to seriously consider having two kits if this was a real Terabeat 4 pc in blue or ebony for $599. :)
Agree its a great deal. I dont need another 20 inch bass drum though. Considering I just bought a Zep Centennial kit last week and I'm trying to sell a Gretsch Catalina 6 pc and dont have room for the other drums I already have... .... .... I just couldnt justify it. Especially since after shipping and taxes I was somewhere closer to 700.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:50 PM

When i first heard of this line i thought it was a great idea and would sound great. I went to guitar center and tried out a gigabeat config and it sounded heavenly as you would expect 6 ply maple shells to sound.

Like many others I was weired out by the lugs. I think they look cool and the function is great but I have had a lot of drums break on me ( i bought a Ddrum kit once and the lugs cracked in half and many came broken in the box before I even opened it so i no longer trust that company) so i am uneasy at the thought of a partially plastic lug but its still a really cool idea.

That being said i hate to make anything look bad but thrn i saw the posts about small chipping around the hole where the lug goes and even saw pics. When i looked closer at the one at my guitar center there they were. You need to look close bit its there. I really hope this isnt a problem on all of them...
Old 03-10-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbrain87 View Post
Like many others I was weired out by the lugs. I think they look cool and the function is great but I have had a lot of drums break on me ( i bought a Ddrum kit once and the lugs cracked in half and many came broken in the box before I even opened it so i no longer trust that company) so i am uneasy at the thought of a partially plastic lug but its still a really cool idea.
The plastic piece on the lug isn't structural, so nothing bad can happen to the lug as the result of that being there. I imagine it simply keeps the metal rod insert in place, the same way springs and plastic shims keep the inserts in place on other lugs.

Bermuda
Old 03-10-2014, 06:57 PM

Okay, I got more curious about the plastic bit, and removed a lug:

I tried to 'pop out' the plastic insert to see exactly what it does, and it won't come out easily. I tried prying and pushing from inside with a screwdriver and worked it pretty hard, but no luck.

Suffice to say, that plastic piece is not going to break or fall out without some dedicated human intervention.

Bermuda
Old 03-10-2014, 07:51 PM

Bermuda,

What about 'cracking' within the shell where the lugs are placed? People seem to be raising this issue quite a bit.

-Rob
Old 03-10-2014, 08:18 PM

People have raised a lot of questions, and honestly, only time will tell. I can only answer based on what I've seen of the drums after spending an intimate week with them at NAMM, and now playing them on gigs.

That said, I don't see any reason that the hole in the shell would have any issues because the lug isn't screwed into it. As for the occasional breakout seen on the holes, that's not a structural issue and not likely to spread. With the lug in place, it's invisible. I see it on a few of the holes on my drums, but those are in the minority. I've also seen that on other drums from other manufacturers, and it doesn't bother me. I simply want a drum to remain structural and make a good sound, and I see no evidence that the Signets can't do both.

Bermuda
Old 03-11-2014, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob42771 View Post
Bermuda,

What about 'cracking' within the shell where the lugs are placed? People seem to be raising this issue quite a bit.

-Rob
It's not cracking of any description. It's merely breakout caused when the drill exits after drilling through the shell. It has no implications re: future cracking or stability.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
It's not cracking of any description. It's merely breakout caused when the drill exits after drilling through the shell. It has no implications re: future cracking or stability.
Understood. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:49 AM

I dont know how much longer I can hold out on buying a set of these.

My guess is not much longer.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:17 AM

I'm playing mine tonight and digging them! Not because I have to, I really like them!

Bermuda
Old 03-12-2014, 06:41 PM

So I thought the Signet line was going to feature toms that you could purchase individually to add to your shell pack. Where can a guy find these for sale?
Old 03-12-2014, 07:14 PM

Ludwig dealers* can order them, available add-ons are:

7x8"
8x10" (may be listed as 8.5x10...)
14x14"
16x16"
16x22"

Since the 12" tom is common to both kit configurations, there's no need to offer it separately. But I don't know why the 15x20" kick isn't sold separately, I'm really digging mine.

A Berm's eye view from last night's gig:

* Although GC carries the kits, I'm not clear on their their status as a full dealer and not sure if they can order/sell anything apart from the few items they carry. But any other Ludwig dealer can fill the order.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Ludwig dealers can order them, available add-ons are:

7x8"
8x10" (may be listed as 8.5x10...)
14x14"
16x16"
16x22"

The 12" tom is common to both kit configurations, so they don't offer it separately. But I don't know why the 15x20" kick isn't sold separately, I'm really digging mine.

A Berm's eye view from last night's gig:

I saw that you have an SST on the floor tom. Not a fan of the stock heads? Or do they not come with stock heads?
Old 03-13-2014, 03:21 PM

about a month ago I went to guitar center and heard the Signet 105's I was honestly blown away by how good they sounded. The toms were so warm and resonant however the bass drum sounded a little thin. I thought about buying them but I was worried about the lugs and if I could get the bass drum to sound full. Well a few days ago I went to guitar center again and this time I had a little more time to play with them and after tuning the bass drum it sounded great. I have been looking for a new kit for quite a while and I think this is the sound I am looking for (it has a very warm resonance. I wanted something with a good resale value but at $800 with the sizes and sound I want I could care less about the resale value. unfortunately I did not have the money with me to pick It up but I am thinking about ordering one within the next month, I need to sleep on it.

It is really hard for me because I have tried so many "pro" kits out recently and It is difficult for me to admit to myself it is the kit I want. It was hard enough for me to admit it on here and none of you are as judgmental as I am.

Of course this post isn't about me. This post is to let everyone know that this is a quality sounding kit. It was also very sturdy feeling when I played it but also very light weight. This is a kit to be proud of if you buy it. No it's not a classic maple or a legacy, no it doesn't really sound like them. But it is not meant to be. This is a high quality intermediate kit. Do I like the idea of "build it yourself" or the much larger holes in the shell? No, But I also don't really care for the stiletto style spurs but the sound of this kit speaks for itself.

Sorry for rambling. If I do end up with this kit I will give a more thorough review of it.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxh039 View Post
I saw that you have an SST on the floor tom. Not a fan of the stock heads? Or do they not come with stock heads?
Stock heads are clear Ludwig Heavy (batter) and Medium (resos) on the toms, and the kick heads are their Power Collar clear (batter) and "white" (reso). I like Ludwig's heads on kicks and snares, although they don't offer a big selection, and because of that, I'm not a big fan of their heads on toms. I initially tried coated G1s on the toms, and they were okay but not quite there. But the EC2 SST - which I haven't been using lately - sounds great on them! I had changed the resos to clear Evans Resonants, and I find they sing better than Ludwig's Medium heads as resos, even though the Ludwigs are thinner (7.5 vs 10mil.) The kick got an EMAD batter right from the start (clear on the 20" and the 22 will get a coated) and sounds just right without additional damping or a hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerjims View Post
This post is to let everyone know that this is a quality sounding kit. It was also very sturdy feeling when I played it but also very light weight. This is a kit to be proud of if you buy it. No it's not a classic maple or a legacy, no it doesn't really sound like them. But it is not meant to be. This is a high quality intermediate kit. Do I like the idea of "build it yourself" or the much larger holes in the shell? No, But I also don't really care for the stiletto style spurs but the sound of this kit speaks for itself.
And in the end, it's all about sound when looking for a kit to play. They're definitely don't have the Legacy or Keystone sound, but I think they're pretty close to the Classic Maple vibe, perhaps a little warmer due to the thinner shell & finish, and lighter hardware, especially on the kick.

Once the kit is assembled, you never have to think about it again. It's not as if you'd be breaking it down, and you never have to worry abouit checking if the lug screws have loosened over time! :) I know what you mean about the spurs, they look pretty light, but they're completely sturdy, and I've added a mounted tom with no issues. Not everyone will like the angle that the kick sits at, and unfortunately the spurs' height isn't adjustable. It makes a very slight difference in the pedal action, because the batter head tilts back a small amount - maybe 1/2" - and it's noticeable, but not a detriment to playing. You'd forget all about it before the end of the first song you play.

I've only had mine about 6 weeks, but have been using them exclusively and have no issues or complaints.

Bermuda
Old 03-13-2014, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Like many others I was weired out by the lugs.

I tried to 'pop out' the plastic insert to see exactly what it does, and it won't come out easily. I tried prying and pushing from inside with a screwdriver and worked it pretty hard, but no luck.

Plastic lugs can be a red flag, usually with a delayed fuse. Over time plastic degrades, the elements, wear/tear, it shrinks, dries, cracks, needs extra attention, maintenance. Time will tell weather this lug design is/was a good idea.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Plastic lugs can be a red flag, usually with a delayed fuse. Over time plastic degrades, the elements, wear/tear, it shrinks, dries, cracks, needs extra attention, maintenance. Time will tell weather this lug design is/was a good idea.
Please, this is NOT a plastic lug! There is a plastic insert, and based on how it is implemented, even if it were to shrink, or crack, or somehow fall out, the lug casing would still fit firmly in the shell, and the rod insert would remain in place during use.* Apart from looking a bit odd, the structure and operation of the lug cannot change due to the insert being absent or otherwise failing.

Seriously, I'd love to be able to extract the insert so you can see what it does, but it does not want to come out, and I'm not going to scrape my knuckles or punch a hole in my hand in order to force it.

Bermuda

* If the lug didn't have the plastic insert, I suppose the rod insert would loosen when the rod is unscrewed... although I haven't verified that the insert isn't held in place by some other means.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Will reserve further comment until the plastic inserts function is determined, tho my guess is that its design is integral to the lugs performance/function.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Will reserve further comment until the plastic inserts function is determined, tho my guess is that its design is integral to the lugs performance/function.
With regard to that, the only reason I can see for the plastic part is to keep the metal rod insert in place. Traditional lug housings are bigger, and their metal insert can be put in place from underneath - the inside - because there's enough space to manipulate it. As a much smaller housing, the Signet lug doesn't have the same access from inside. The lug is sort of 'open', the metal insert is put into place, and the plastic insert snaps into place to hold it, and round out the shape of the lug. Oh, they probably could have made the 'plug' out of metal, but there's more cost involved for material and plating. Even a dime or quarter more apiece adds up fast, and cost-savings is an important selling point for this line.

I know it seems like I'm overly defending different aspects of these drums, but it's only because I'm apparently the only person on this forum who has first-hand knowledge and experience with them. And until someone else has a kit in their hands, I believe I'm uniquely qualified to talk about their sound, construction, or inspect a lug close-up if necessary (other than not being able to take it apart!) I've been very upfront about the pros and (perceived) cons of these drums, and the plastic piece in the lug is not going to be an issue.

I can find only one possible objection to these drums, and that's the kick spur length not adjusting, and the drum angled too high for some. That is, if there's one thing I would suggest they change, it would be that. But I'm happily playing my Signet kick angled as-is, I have no desire to modify or change out the spurs.

Bermuda
Old 03-13-2014, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it is integral to the construction, but I'll take my chances with a good quality plastic insert over pot metal any day :)
Old 03-13-2014, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Oh, they probably could have made the 'plug' out of metal, but there's more cost involved for material and plating. Even a dime or quarter more apiece adds up fast, and cost-savings is an important selling point for this line.

Exactly, YAMAHA went plastic for a minute with NOUVEAU (not comparing the two here) to save money, didn't pan out in the long run, and now only the uniformed will touch those kits. Word is out, (YAMAHA) plastic lug kits no good.

Even tho SIGNET105 is said to be an insert securing the lug nut, its not a protected insert. Lug nuts hold tension in all directions.

The exposed plastic is going to see action in the field and plastic is plastic, its destined to break down, lose tolerances quicker than metal, the changing elements will make it happen.

I don't want to say this lug being 1/3 plastic is a deal breaker for me, will use the phrase 'less attractive'.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:44 AM

Well, truth is, I'm just trying to clear up the misconceptions, it's not my job to answer for Ludwig, or push their products. I say what I say because I often have info and insights that noone else here has.

If anyone is uncomfortable with the Signets, then I'd suggest they look at something else, with the understanding that they won't find a new, US-made kit for such a low price.

Bermuda
Old 03-14-2014, 02:50 AM
Platinum Member

Just pointing out the virtues of plastic, and for anyone not being familiar with YAMAHA'S plastic lug experiment, the prognosis is composite (plastic) lugs will not age well. They oxidize, discolour, get scuffed and even break due to the effects of time, use and exposure. It does make for a fairly ratty looking kit after while.

We'll have to wait and see if age and the elements effect SIGNET105 lugs, time will tell.

Last edited by Les Ismore; 03-14-2014 at 03:48 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:34 AM

Just a few things to add to this discussion regarding using plastic...

During the war some drum companies used what was called a bake light lug. These lugs were made out of a plastic that is far inferior to the plastics we have today. Sure several have broken but even after all these years there are still some standing.

You mention the Yamaha NOUVEAU with the plastic lugs. I own a set of them and have for 7 or 8 years now. The lugs were awful if you liked a cranked snare. However on toms and bass drums I have never had one fail. Also I have never seen them oxidize not saying they don't but my SC Nouveau's have been in all kinds of conditions and they are still holding up. These lugs were just a bad design in my opinion but I also say that about the metal Nouveau lugs. but if you take care of your equipment then they are fine.

Is there some reason to worry about these new Ludwig lugs? Yes. however I feel like if you take care of them, which you should, then they will be good for several years. Of course only time will tell but at the price they are selling them at if they last 3 years they will be worth it. And I figure they will last much longer. I have seen drums go for more that had bigger design flaws.

Just my two cents. As of now I do plan on buying this kit very soon (just have to convince the wife I need more drums). I plan on taking care of them.but personally I have no worries. If you are afraid you will break them then you shouldn't get them because if breaking things is a common problem you have then you will probably break them. (this last statement was not directed at you les, or anyone in particular).
Old 03-14-2014, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

I have quite a bit of experience of engineering plastics. Just like all materials, there's different qualities & abilities available. The suitability of any plastic relies on the material being correctly specified. If I want a plastic to last for 40 years on an offshore drilling platform - no problem, but it needs to be the right one.

In more modestly arduous applications such as drum lugs, the main consideration, other than basic mechanical properties, is ageing due to ozone & UV degradation. Outside of Peek grades & others, plastics rely on plasticisers to stop them being brittle. These plasticisers leach out over time due to a combination of environmental factors.

Anyhow, the message is this. Non of us know what grade of plastic Ludwig have specified, so we're all guessing. If I was to take a punt, it's probably some form of nylon PVC type mix, that should work fairly well in the medium to long term. It's all down to wether Ludwig have done their homework or not. If the plastic is good, then it's overall qualities are likely to be at least as good as the pot metal that most mass market lugs are made from, & certainly as good as the often flimsy components used inside most major company cast lugs.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

Its been loosely established LUDWIGS intent while building SIGNET105 was to keep the cost down to the consumer. This lug thing is a little out of center field, as in you get on the field and realize its astroturf, the lugs aren't all metal as we're conditioned to assume.

That being said and looking at the pic Bermuda posted where we can see what looks like a wound (possibly from his attempt to pry the said plastic out of the metal portion of the lug?)... we may assume its a softer type of plastic considered by LUDWIG to be just strong enough to do the job. My guess anyway.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2014, 09:09 PM

need to sideline the lug discussion for a minute. How do i get in contact with Ludwig? I think my signet's 20" bass drum was built with the badge on the bottom side of the drum. I would assume that the badge would be on the top of the drum where it would be visible. Instead it is facing the floor. I tried to see if the spurs would go either way but they are drilled off center so that they can only attach one way and still be functional. Is there something that i'm missing? Bermuda, have you heard of this issue. Not a huge deal but i'm kind of ocd about it i guess. Either way, i'm assuming that if the badge is on wrong and i want a correct one then i should contact ludwig.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Its been loosely established LUDWIGS intent while building SIGNET105 was to keep the cost down to the consumer.
Not loose at all, it's absolutely the point of the Signets: providing a brand name, US-made kit, at the best price possible.

Quote:
This lug thing is a little out of center field, as in you get on the field and realize its astroturf, the lugs aren't all metal as we're conditioned to assume.
There's no attempt to disguise or mislead anyone with this luig, it's clearly a hybrid.

That being said and looking at the pic Bermuda posted where we can see what looks like a wound (possibly from his attempt to pry the said plastic out of the metal portion of the lug?)... we may assume its a softer type of plastic considered by LUDWIG to be just strong enough to do the job. My guess anyway.[/quote]

It's job is to keep the rod insert in place when changing heads, and it does so perfectly. If the plastic piece wasn't there for some reason or became structurally unsound, the rod insert would still function the same, staying in place while rod tension is applied (which is the typical state of a drum: heads on, ready to play.)

If the plastic insert somehow falling out or failing is a genuine concern, then the Signets are not for you.

Bermuda
Old 03-14-2014, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It's job is to keep the rod insert in place when changing heads, and it does so perfectly. If the plastic piece wasn't there for some reason or became structurally unsound, the rod insert would still function the same, staying in place while rod tension is applied (which is the typical state of a drum: heads on, ready to play.)

If the plastic insert somehow falling out or failing is a genuine concern, then the Signets are not for you.

K then, the plastic insert is cosmetic.

That being so, I can see the material subject to use/wear scratching, scuffing and looking like plastic does after it comes in contact with harder material. You do have 4 chances tho (maybe), the bottom 4 bass drum inserts could be swapped with any that get scuffed topside, that is if someone finds a way to pry them out. That's if the bottom 4 bass drum lugs don't get scratched to ell, which they usually do.

Guess where this is leading too is the question of weather you're OK with plastic parts on a $1,000.00 drum kit.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclem View Post
need to sideline the lug discussion for a minute. How do i get in contact with Ludwig? I think my signet's 20" bass drum was built with the badge on the bottom side of the drum. I would assume that the badge would be on the top of the drum where it would be visible.
Wow, hadn't heard of that, the badge should certainly be on top!

Contact your dealer and have them request a new badge, they stick on and are intended to be permanent (they use the industrial 3M 2-sided tape.) Make absolutely sure it's placed properly before you apply it, you only get one shot.

As such, do not attempt to remove the existing badge, as it will probably damage the finish!

Bermuda
Old 03-14-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Wow, hadn't heard of that, the badge should certainly be on top!

Contact your dealer and have them request a new badge, they stick on and are intended to be permanent (they use the industrial 3M 2-sided tape.) Make absolutely sure it's placed properly before you apply it, you only get one shot.

As such, do not attempt to remove the existing badge, as it will probably damage the finish!

Bermuda
Ok that's not so bad. My heart sank in thinking that i would have to send it back and wait for another. I'll have to request a new bass drum tension rod as one of those is slightly bent. Thanks!
Old 03-14-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
K then, the plastic insert is cosmetic.
Partially, yes.

Quote:
That being so, I can see the material subject to use/wear scratching, scuffing and looking like plastic does after it comes in contact with harder material. You do have 4 chances tho (maybe), the bottom 4 bass drum inserts could be swapped with any that get scuffed topside, that is if someone finds a way to pry them out. That's if the bottom 4 bass drum lugs don't get scratched to ell, which they usually do.
If a drum is taking the kind of beating that results in visibly scarred hardware, I think there are other things to worry about than the plastic back end of the lug, and that applies to any drum.

Quote:
Guess where this is leading too is the question of weather you're OK with plastic parts on a $1,000.00 drum kit.
If the plastic piece has no effect one way or another on the drum's structure, operation, or sound, then yes, I'm OK with it.

It's funny, I had a list going of the things I thought that people might find objectionable about the Signets, and the lug was not - and is still not - on the list. Actually, there's still only one thing I can find that would be genuinely iffy for some people, and that's the non-adjustable spurs. I'm a pretty picky guy, and it doesn't bother me. If it did, I'd stop taking the drums out on gigs.

Bermuda
Old 03-14-2014, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
If a drum is taking the kind of beating that results in visibly scarred hardware, I think there are other things to worry about than the plastic back end of the lug, and that applies to any drum.

All drums take a beating if played out, stuff happens and its a simple fact, chrome plated metal will wear better than plastic. Just using bags on SIGNET105 over time will result in wear as the bags material will eventually change the colour of the plastic.

Check out the chrome on your gigging kit(s) ppl, look close, there'll be fine scratches on the lugs. Lugs are by default a contact point, again as time/gigs add up and so will the noticeable effects. Plastic wounds are noticeably nasty looking, as the material is plyable, not like chrome which just scratches and still has the support of the surrounding bling. With the LUDWIG design scratched/faded plastic will make the chrome contrasting, this is an unforeseen.

I'd be OK with the spurs not being height adjustable, I could find a way around that. Plastic on the lugs tho? I know what's going to happen down the road. What I'd hope to happen is LUDWIG sells a million units and someone develops an aftermarket snap in lug to fit, one made w/o plastic.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Just using bags on SIGNET105 over time will result in wear as the bags material will eventually change the colour of the plastic.
.............................. :)
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I'd be OK with the spurs not being height adjustable, I could find a way around that.
If anything, you should be concerned about that! If you're going to be picky, at least be consistent!
Old 03-14-2014, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, up in post #260 I mention extra care/maintenance is needed w/plastic parts... who wants to do added work tho? Im popping a grand I want chrome baby!!!

Quote:
If anything, you should be concerned about that! If you're going to be picky, at least be consistent!
Just bringing up some maybe overlooked (or unknown) points about SIGNET105.

We are talking about a $1,000 drum kit here, it may be affordable for its alleged sonic class, but its still a $1,000 drum kit. Most consumers have been conditioned to expect plastic parts on cheaper sets. A grand is somewhat of a sizable investment for some, at least I would expect some would want to ponder the idea of how their potential thousand dollar kit might hold up through the years.

Im OK with LUDWIG skimping on the spurs, its expected of them, at least they gave them a cool name, like I said I could work around that, but for a grand Im not eager to take extra care of, babysit a hybrid plastic lug.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Im OK with LUDWIG skimping on the spurs, its expected of them, at least they gave them a cool name, like I said I could work around that, but for a grand Im not eager to take extra care of, babysit a hybrid plastic lug.
Okay, how about we re-address the lugs 5 years from now after I've used the drums for longer than 6 weeks. I'll continue to be completely up-front and unbiased about them, and will report on how they hold up.

It doesn't bother me that you're criticizing a Ludwig product or concept, you're not the first. What does bother me is that you don't thimk I can fairly and accurately assess a product that's in my possession, and which I can actually handle and inspect (to the extent that I am able to disassemble it, ie; the lug.)

If there are any other members here who own, or otherwise have direct experience with these drums, please feel free to chime in. If you're having a good or bad time with them, your fellow members are entitled to know.

Bermuda

Last edited by bermuda; 03-15-2014 at 12:46 AM.