DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #161  
Old 01-31-2014, 07:04 PM
harvestdrum harvestdrum is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 97
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

I'm pretty late to this party but myself, I love them! Got to see them at NAMM as well and I was hooked.
I'm no stranger to fine drums with amazing finishes and found myself loving the matte woody finish esp the Indian teak. I will say though that I'm not really into wraps so I'm a bit biased.

IMHO, drums are made of wood (mostly) and I want to see that wood! LOL I don't mind a stain in any color or fade.....just give me my grain. Rant over lol

I like the simple look even if they are somewhat industrial. I don't mind the "assembly" part, heck I would even like that. I was a bit worried about the hole size but after a few posts from this thread my worries are over.

I wonder if this type of system would allow the shell to vibrate more than a lug that is tight against the shell with one or two screws.
Much like a DW lug setup. Under that lug is a fairly large rubber gasket about the size of a silver dollar. 10 of them, each side. That must cause some dampening right?

Regardless, I want one!

Wish I could have met some of you guys!
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 01-31-2014, 07:19 PM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,857
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvestdrum View Post
I wonder if this type of system would allow the shell to vibrate more than a lug that is tight against the shell with one or two screws.
I prefer a lug that's nicely attached to the shell - no gasket - and the Signet lugs are held pretty tight. that is, there's no way they'd rattle, unless you have a really loose rod, and then you've also got it and the washer buzzing.

I've got all drum sizes (except the 8" tom) and will be taking these on gigs to see how they far in the real world. They sounded great at NAMM even with heavy clear heads, and I expect them to really sing on the job with different heads.

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 01-31-2014, 07:21 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is online now
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,393
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

My Pearl Session Customs, a good example of a mid line drum, have 8 lugs on a 22" bass drum. 8 lugs on the 16" floor tom too, which isn't too much IMO. I never felt I was lacking anything with the 8 lug bass, never gave it a 2nd thought. Strangely, on a 14" snare, I like 10 lugs. It focuses the sound more to my ear. So the higher I tune, the more lugs I prefer. Bass and snares really are opposite tones on the scale, and tuning approaches seem to parallel that.

But I bet the Signets sound great up close. Same Ludwig mojo, less mass. On paper it seems like a home run. The finishes are a little over the top though. It just screams "look at me", and a lot of guys don't prefer that.
__________________
Great art is born out of great pain.

Gomez Addams
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 01-31-2014, 09:08 PM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 3,839
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

They've issued only one set of raw shells that I know of, under duress, for an important artist. (not me, I said important.)

Let me guess...that dutch guy who's almost deaf from crashing PAISTE 2oo2 rides?





My Pearl Session Customs, a good example of a mid line drum, have 8 lugs on a 22" bass drum. 8 lugs on the 16" floor tom too, which isn't too much IMO. I never felt I was lacking anything with the 8 lug bass, never gave it a 2nd thought.


Here we go! What's the number needed to make it popular opinion? Get enough drummers chiming in and manufactures might feel safe taking a run at abolishing the ten lug rule.
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 01-31-2014, 09:37 PM
Artstar's Avatar
Artstar Artstar is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles/Tijuana
Posts: 1,597
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
.......they are about to switch. I can feel it !


If you're talking about LUDWIG, that'd be a major stretch.

l.
I was Joking.

This will never happen IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 01-31-2014, 10:18 PM
AirborneSFC's Avatar
AirborneSFC AirborneSFC is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Germany (Bavaria)
Posts: 987
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstar View Post
8 Lugs on the 22" ????

Hmm.
Both my '67 Ludwig kit and my 64' Gretsch kit have 8 lugs on a 20" Bass drum. No worries at all and they both sound great. I doubt this would be an issue with a 22" bass drum.

I even have 6 lug snares that sound great.
__________________
Spiralfire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhdcpleTKlI
Poison Anthem
Session Work
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 01-31-2014, 10:27 PM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 3,839
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneSFC View Post
Both my '67 Ludwig kit and my 64' Gretsch kit have 8 lugs on a 20" Bass drum. No worries at all and they both sound great. I doubt this would be an issue with a 22" bass drum.

I even have 6 lug snares that sound great.


8-20 is on the fence, though still a consideration as in- if the 10 lug rule were challenged/abolished 10-20 would be affected also.

I have a couple of beater sets with 8-22, don't notice a difference and might even admit they feel better than my 10-22's.

Hmmmmm, opinions growing!
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 02-01-2014, 05:52 AM
harvestdrum harvestdrum is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 97
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I prefer a lug that's nicely attached to the shell - no gasket - and the Signet lugs are held pretty tight. that is, there's no way they'd rattle, unless you have a really loose rod, and then you've also got it and the washer buzzing.

I've got all drum sizes (except the 8" tom) and will be taking these on gigs to see how they far in the real world. They sounded great at NAMM even with heavy clear heads, and I expect them to really sing on the job with different heads.

Bermuda

I guess my post wasn't clear with what I was thinking and trying to put to words. I wasn't thinking the shell or lug would vibrate because the lugs are a drop in lug with no screws or mounts.
What I was trying to put to words is; I wonder if the Signet drum shell will vibrate or produce a musical tone more freely because the lack of a lug held tight with screws and gaskets. Sort of using a DW Collectors setup as a reference. Just a thought out loud.


I'm not the greatest with words
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 02-01-2014, 09:12 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,391
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvestdrum View Post
What I was trying to put to words is; I wonder if the Signet drum shell will vibrate or produce a musical tone more freely because the lack of a lug held tight with screws and gaskets. Sort of using a DW Collectors setup as a reference. Just a thought out loud.
It doen't matter how the lug is attached to the shell in terms of affect on resonance, so long as it's secure. Clamped, pinched, bolted = all the same so long as they're secure. The drum vibrates as a single entity. That said, because the mass of the signet lugs is less than Ludwig's standard offerings, & certainly because of their lack of gaskets, they should show a benefit, all other elements being equal. Large mass + rubber gaskets really put the brakes on a drum. That's not necessarily a bad thing, if lower resonance/shorter notes is what you're shooting for.
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 02-01-2014, 05:30 PM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,857
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvestdrum View Post
I wasn't thinking the shell or lug would vibrate because the lugs are a drop in lug with no screws or mounts. What I was trying to put to words is; I wonder if the Signet drum shell will vibrate or produce a musical tone more freely because the lack of a lug held tight with screws and gaskets.
I know, I was saying that a tight lug is preferrable (in my experience) and the Signet lug is tight.


Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
It doen't matter how the lug is attached to the shell in terms of affect on resonance, so long as it's secure. Clamped, pinched, bolted = all the same so long as they're secure. The drum vibrates as a single entity. That said, because the mass of the signet lugs is less than Ludwig's standard offerings, & certainly because of their lack of gaskets, they should show a benefit, all other elements being equal. Large mass + rubber gaskets really put the brakes on a drum. That's not necessarily a bad thing, if lower resonance/shorter notes is what you're shooting for.
+1

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 02-01-2014, 06:34 PM
harvestdrum harvestdrum is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 97
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
It doen't matter how the lug is attached to the shell in terms of affect on resonance, so long as it's secure. Clamped, pinched, bolted = all the same so long as they're secure. The drum vibrates as a single entity. That said, because the mass of the signet lugs is less than Ludwig's standard offerings, & certainly because of their lack of gaskets, they should show a benefit, all other elements being equal. Large mass + rubber gaskets really put the brakes on a drum. That's not necessarily a bad thing, if lower resonance/shorter notes is what you're shooting for.


Thank you!

Robert
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 02-02-2014, 02:26 AM
drummingman's Avatar
drummingman drummingman is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 817
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

I just played a set of these the other day at my local g.c. Great set! If these don't fly out the door something is wrong!

Last edited by drummingman; 02-02-2014 at 02:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 02-02-2014, 03:00 AM
drum4fun27302 drum4fun27302 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 608
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

My yamaha tour custom moto-x edition (indenisia) has 8 on the 24 bass drum and 8 on the snare and it sounds just great (mid range , msrp was $1200 I believe ).
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 02-02-2014, 03:07 AM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,857
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingman View Post
I just played a set of these the other day at my local g.c. Great set! If these don't fly out the door something is wrong!
The only thing wrong is when people form opinions before they get all the info or hear the product. :)

Thank you for giving them a chance!

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 02-02-2014, 03:17 AM
bobdadruma's Avatar
bobdadruma bobdadruma is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: second measure of a fill-in
Posts: 10,260
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
The only thing wrong is when people form opinions before they get all the info or hear the product. :)

Thank you for giving them a chance!

Bermuda
I looked at the drums and I saw that the design was good based on my life experience with similar products that use the same design concepts. I saw that the drums were different and they deserved a chance to be heard.
__________________
I kind of like old drums:)
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 02-04-2014, 09:34 PM
wildbill wildbill is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Midwest - USA
Posts: 3,414
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Saw the teak Signets at GC today. It looked much better in person than the impression I got from the pics.
Talked to the guy that put them together and he said it took much longer than he thought it would. Difficult to get some of the lugs in, I guess. It was the first one he did though.

I didn't see any splintering looking inside the drums, and was told there was some, but it was very minor, and probably not noticeable unless you were looking for it.

They weren't tuned yet - the bass drum batter head was all flappy. But even though I could see some wrinkles on one end of the high tom head, it sounded good. The floor tom seemed tuned up right and sounded real good.
Definitely a set to consider in that price range.
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 02-04-2014, 10:17 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,391
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Saw the teak Signets at GC today. It looked much better in person than the impression I got from the pics.
Talked to the guy that put them together and he said it took much longer than he thought it would. Difficult to get some of the lugs in, I guess. It was the first one he did though.

I didn't see any splintering looking inside the drums, and was told there was some, but it was very minor, and probably not noticeable unless you were looking for it.

They weren't tuned yet - the bass drum batter head was all flappy. But even though I could see some wrinkles on one end of the high tom head, it sounded good. The floor tom seemed tuned up right and sounded real good.
Definitely a set to consider in that price range.
Good feedback :) For the vast majority, it will be the first time they've assembled the product. That said, I think it's a non issue. Let's face it, if it takes 30 minutes or 3 hours, no big deal. I think most customers would want to take their time anyhow. Being careful, pride of ownership, etc. All good stuff!
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 02-04-2014, 10:23 PM
wildbill wildbill is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Midwest - USA
Posts: 3,414
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Good feedback :) For the vast majority, it will be the first time they've assembled the product. That said, I think it's a non issue. Let's face it, if it takes 30 minutes or 3 hours, no big deal. I think most customers would want to take their time anyhow. Being careful, pride of ownership, etc. All good stuff!
Ya - this guy's pretty conscientious. Not what you think of as the typical GC employee.
He's been there several years and put lots of kits together.
I'm sure he was taking his time to avoid any mishaps.
Even so, he said it took almost two hours. A minor consideration if it's a set you're going to keep for years.
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 02-04-2014, 10:55 PM
larryz's Avatar
larryz larryz is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,911
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

And purchasing from Musician's Friend for $799 no tax, free shipping and 12 months to pay for it without interest is very tempting. $66.66 a month. Ludwig should sell quite a few of these.

Just a couple of clicks away.
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 02-04-2014, 11:37 PM
drummingman's Avatar
drummingman drummingman is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 817
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
The only thing wrong is when people form opinions before they get all the info or hear the product. :)

Thank you for giving them a chance!

Bermuda
I really try to hold judgment on something until I can get my hands on it.

To go a little more indepth on my experience with the kit: the toms sounded amazing, same for the snare. The kick sounded a little flat, but I assume that had to do with the tuning. It did not sound bad, it just did not have any boom. But it had a nice punch.

I also have to say that I loved the blue finish! Reminds me of a house one would see in a New England beach town!
Reply With Quote
  #181  
Old 02-05-2014, 12:28 AM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,857
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Just a note, the snare is whatever drum they put with kit, it's not a Signet and I don't believe is included in the $799-949 prices they're offering at the moment (they'll be 949 and 1099 soon )

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 02-05-2014, 01:06 AM
sparks127's Avatar
sparks127 sparks127 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Colfax, NC
Posts: 57
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
.... in the $799-949 prices they're offering at the moment (they'll be 949 and 1099 soon )

Bermuda
Did I read this part right? Oh crap. Do you know how soon? Was waiting to see the Ebony in person.
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 02-05-2014, 05:33 AM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,857
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

GC is running the sale at well below MAP prices for a limited time, I don't know how long. MAP on the 3-pc is $949, the 4-pc is $1099, so the sale is pretty amazing for something that's brand new!

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 02-05-2014, 05:38 AM
Red Menace's Avatar
Red Menace Red Menace is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,792
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Maybe that's GC trying to make nice with Ludwig after their last spat.
__________________
My Kit
Snares
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 02-05-2014, 06:13 AM
sonnygrabber's Avatar
sonnygrabber sonnygrabber is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: As far away as is possible.
Posts: 465
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Maybe that's GC trying to make nice with Ludwig after their last spat.
Or maybe they are spatting again! I just tried to get onto the GC site to look at the drums and they don't have any in stock. Nor did they have any Ludwig products. Maybe this is because I'm in Australia, but wow! If they sold all the Signet stuff that would be very interesting indeed.
__________________
It's better to sit in silence and be thought a fool, than open ones mouth and remove all doubt..
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 02-05-2014, 12:49 PM
tclem tclem is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 62
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum, but I have used it a long time to research different gear. I learned about the Signet kit from this thread and i will be going tomorrow with my tax money and buying the Gigabeat in Macassar Ebony! I'll be leaving for Quebec city shortly after but i'll post pics next Friday.
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 02-05-2014, 02:52 PM
longgun's Avatar
longgun longgun is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,330
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclem View Post
Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum, but I have used it a long time to research different gear. I learned about the Signet kit from this thread and i will be going tomorrow with my tax money and buying the Gigabeat in Macassar Ebony! I'll be leaving for Quebec city shortly after but i'll post pics next Friday.
Congrats..................I'm still on the fence............................not that I need another kit, but that Macassar Ebony is gorgeous
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 02-05-2014, 03:10 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida's West Coast
Posts: 15,413
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote from Andy......" Let's face it, if it takes 30 minutes or 3 hours, no big deal. I think most customers would want to take their time anyhow. Being careful, pride of ownership, etc. All good stuff! ..."

I just spent three hours taking apart, re-wrapping, and putting back together, one of my snares. 30 minutes is nothing for the savings on a Maple Ludwig Kit. If I were the true Gretsch fanboy I would be all over this in a negative way but I think it is a cool concept.
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Gretsch Renown
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 02-05-2014, 03:49 PM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,857
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

I can't imagine it taking more than 30 minutes to assemble and tune the kit. It's not that I'm smart... it's just not that time-consuming. There's no prep, just open the box and take everything out.\

3 hours? Absolutely not possible, unless the guy was also doing other stuff while setting them up and didn't account for his other duties. Or, he was deliberately working very slowly, or maybe hand-polishing each part. I dunno, it's a very quick process.

If the drums took that long to set up, the stores wouldn't want to waste the time in order to show them.

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 02-05-2014, 05:22 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,391
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I can't imagine it taking more than 30 minutes to assemble and tune the kit. It's not that I'm smart... it's just not that time-consuming. There's no prep, just open the box and take everything out.\

3 hours? Absolutely not possible, unless the guy was also doing other stuff while setting them up and didn't account for his other duties. Or, he was deliberately working very slowly, or maybe hand-polishing each part. I dunno, it's a very quick process.

If the drums took that long to set up, the stores wouldn't want to waste the time in order to show them.

Bermuda
Jon, my comment was only to point out that I don't believe the time taken to assemble is a big deal. If most customers got theirs shipped to them in a box (& I'm guessing that's how most will receive them), the assembly process is part of the fun. Looking from the outside, I can't see how it takes two hours either, but so what if it does. Perhaps owners do want to polish the fittings before they put them on the shells. Again, no big deal, & part of the pride of ownership.
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 02-05-2014, 05:32 PM
tclem tclem is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 62
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgun View Post
Congrats..................I'm still on the fence............................not that I need another kit, but that Macassar Ebony is gorgeous
Thanks! Yeah my wife actually told me that she thought it was time for a new kit. Which is understandable seeing as the last time that I got a new kit was in the 7th grade. I am now 27 lol. Most places that i play now have their own kits so i just bring my snare and cymbals.
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 02-05-2014, 08:57 PM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,857
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Jon, my comment was only to point out that I don't believe the time taken to assemble is a big deal. If most customers got theirs shipped to them in a box (& I'm guessing that's how most will receive them), the assembly process is part of the fun. Looking from the outside, I can't see how it takes two hours either, but so what if it does. Perhaps owners do want to polish the fittings before they put them on the shells. Again, no big deal, & part of the pride of ownership.
I know, but in a heated thread still rife with misconceptions, I don't want anyone to think there's a lot of time involved in going from box to beat.

Oh that's good: box to beat in 30 minutes!

Ya listening Ludwig? :)
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 02-05-2014, 10:44 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,391
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I know, but in a heated thread still rife with misconceptions, I don't want anyone to think there's a lot of time involved in going from box to beat.

Oh that's good: box to beat in 30 minutes!

Ya listening Ludwig? :)
Sounds a bit like beat box Jon, but a cool tagline :)

I don't know how there can be misconceptions about this kit really. It's a simple principal, done well, with a major legacy name, & at a great price point. What's not to like?
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 02-05-2014, 10:50 PM
bobdadruma's Avatar
bobdadruma bobdadruma is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: second measure of a fill-in
Posts: 10,260
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I don't know how there can be misconceptions about this kit really. It's a simple principal, done well, with a major legacy name, & at a great price point. What's not to like?
My sediments exactly. I was surprised at the negativity that was expressed in this thread.
__________________
I kind of like old drums:)
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 02-05-2014, 11:23 PM
wildbill wildbill is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Midwest - USA
Posts: 3,414
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I know, but in a heated thread still rife with misconceptions, I don't want anyone to think there's a lot of time involved in going from box to beat.

Oh that's good: box to beat in 30 minutes!

Ya listening Ludwig? :)

I was the one who brought up assembly time. But it was in reference to an employee working in a busy store and probably dealing with customers at the same time.
Not the same thing as an individual getting them set up in their home.
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 02-06-2014, 05:21 AM
AirborneSFC's Avatar
AirborneSFC AirborneSFC is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Germany (Bavaria)
Posts: 987
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

This kit is sooo tempting! Now if I only didn't already have 7 kits. Also lost one of my practice spaces so I had to move that kit back to the mother ship. FWIW this is coming from someone who owns very expensive kits and one each of the "great" vintage US made kits (Gretsch, Rogers, Ludwig) so take that for what its worth.
__________________
Spiralfire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhdcpleTKlI
Poison Anthem
Session Work
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 02-06-2014, 06:03 AM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,857
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I don't know how there can be misconceptions about this kit really. It's a simple principal, done well, with a major legacy name, & at a great price point. What's not to like?
What?? There have been unfounded objections and skepticism about almost every aspect of this new line!! I've tried to answer each, but it's an uphill battle because people seem to think I automatically promote everything Ludwig (they don't know me very well!)

I don't need everyone to love the drums, I just need them to know the facts before they come to any conclusions. I will have a kit on the gig next weekend, and give a full report on their sound and performance, warts and all.

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 02-06-2014, 06:37 AM
opentune's Avatar
opentune opentune is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 2,941
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

If other companies were smart they would catch the wave here. Just sell shells with lugs/rims, lugs, rods, screws - all un-assembled.
Think about it - even if they sent you regular lugs with screws etc, it would still only take you only a few hours to assemble your kit, with these pre-drilled shells. They could also sell with no heads included - we all change them out anyway. They also cut out the cost of factory assembly.
__________________
Louis
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 02-06-2014, 10:53 PM
sparks127's Avatar
sparks127 sparks127 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Colfax, NC
Posts: 57
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Without actually someone playing them and hearing the sound, I think this is the best video of the Signets.
http://www.drummagazine.com/gear/post/8450/
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 02-07-2014, 03:20 AM
AirborneSFC's Avatar
AirborneSFC AirborneSFC is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Germany (Bavaria)
Posts: 987
Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

I played the kit for about 15 minutes today at GC. Loved the bass drum. The toms were almost up in the bop range and could have used something other than Remo ebony heads. Other than that a great little kit. I would throw some coated G1's on the toms and maybe an Emad on the bass drum.
__________________
Spiralfire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhdcpleTKlI
Poison Anthem
Session Work
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com