DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-22-2014, 03:27 PM

Default Roc'n'Soc Nitro!

I'd like to thank you great folks for all the useful information found on this site.

I recently started playing drums full time and have been having issues with back pain. I broke my back in two places and blew out seven discs about eight years ago. All is well now for the most part, but I have some degenerative issues with my lower spine that affect my ability to sit for almost any amount of time. When I started playing again, I bought a standard DW throne that was pretty rigid. This was limiting the amount of time I could play to about 5-10 minutes. That is not enough time to even feel like a warm up.

I searched this forum for answers or solutions to this problem and found that it is pretty common. I read that a good throne is worth its weight in gold. The most common recommendation was the Roc'n'Soc Nitro with backrest. I finally broke down and ordered one.

Let me tell you, this thing is sweet! It has a slight forward stance (at least to my feel) that kind of forces good posture. The back rest offers great lumbar support for such a simple design. There is a very slight amount of flex and bounce to it. This is exactly what I needed for my back. I read a lot of people talking about the "bounce" and in my mind pictured a very pronounced, springy type motion. This is not the case. The bounce is very minor. It is absolutely noticeable compared to a rigid throne, but not enough that I even noticed it while having all four limbs flailing about. The larger tractor style was also an improvement for me over traditional round thrones. As a larger guy of about 230 lbs, I've got a lot of mass to secure. Spreading it out a bit helps. It was apparent instantly that this throne was a vast improvement. I played for about an hour last night, and would have played longer if it weren't for pesky responsibilities.

I think this throne will be a sound investment, improving my ability to practice and play on a more regular and enjoyable basis.

Thanks again for all the great information!
Old 01-22-2014, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Roc'n'Soc Nitro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firesgt911 View Post
I'd like to thank you great folks for all the useful information found on this site.

I recently started playing drums full time and have been having issues with back pain. I broke my back in two places and blew out seven discs about eight years ago. All is well now for the most part, but I have some degenerative issues with my lower spine that affect my ability to sit for almost any amount of time. When I started playing again, I bought a standard DW throne that was pretty rigid. This was limiting the amount of time I could play to about 5-10 minutes. That is not enough time to even feel like a warm up.

I searched this forum for answers or solutions to this problem and found that it is pretty common. I read that a good throne is worth its weight in gold. The most common recommendation was the Roc'n'Soc Nitro with backrest. I finally broke down and ordered one.

Let me tell you, this thing is sweet! It has a slight forward stance (at least to my feel) that kind of forces good posture. The back rest offers great lumbar support for such a simple design. There is a very slight amount of flex and bounce to it. This is exactly what I needed for my back. I read a lot of people talking about the "bounce" and in my mind pictured a very pronounced, springy type motion. This is not the case. The bounce is very minor. It is absolutely noticeable compared to a rigid throne, but not enough that I even noticed it while having all four limbs flailing about. The larger tractor style was also an improvement for me over traditional round thrones. As a larger guy of about 230 lbs, I've got a lot of mass to secure. Spreading it out a bit helps. It was apparent instantly that this throne was a vast improvement. I played for about an hour last night, and would have played longer if it weren't for pesky responsibilities.

I think this throne will be a sound investment, improving my ability to practice and play on a more regular and enjoyable basis.

Thanks again for all the great information!
Thanks for posting this. I'm also considering one as well. The ONLY thing keeping me away is that I heard that some thrones developed a 'squeak' over time.

Have you noticed anything (perhaps not as your acquisition seems recent)?
Old 01-22-2014, 05:14 PM
Silver Member

The Nitro seems to be quite the industry standard, and for fantastic reasons. I got mine used from a friend who stopped drumming, it's probably 6 or 7 years old total. It has no squeaks, but I would imagine that some basic maintenance would help prevent or cure any kind of ailments.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:19 PM

I haven't noticed any squeeks either. I would imagine a little lubrication would solve any squeek. Also keep in mind that there are companies that will recharge nitrogen pistons. If it ever seems to lose any of its function. I have also heard good things about their customer service.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:40 PM
Gold Member

I too have back issues................but the Roc-n-Soc Nitro is the most comfortable throne I've ever used. I liked it so much I bought an extra to use in my office at work................it's the only chair I can sit in, for any amount of time, and still function.

Mine squeaked after about a year or so...........but some WD-40 took care of it
Old 01-22-2014, 10:53 PM

My office chair is HORRIBLE! I would like to use this for a little but longer, but I may do this also. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgun View Post
I too have back issues................but the Roc-n-Soc Nitro is the most comfortable throne I've ever used. I liked it so much I bought an extra to use in my office at work................it's the only chair I can sit in, for any amount of time, and still function.

Mine squeaked after about a year or so...........but some WD-40 took care of it
Dammit! Just as I was about to run this through my finance approval dept (wife), I see this.

I think I'm still going to bite. But - a few questions:

Is the squeak from the hydraulic portion? Or is it someplace else?

It is also the reason when I went with a replacement throne last year, I ended up getting the Gibraltar motorcycle throne with the added back rest. I'm not uncomfortable, but I have sat in the Roc-n-Soc throne, and it is MUCH more comfortable. The reason I went with Gibraltar? No hydraulic lift, it is a screw up/down. That was about as far as my logic went. Couldn't get the Tama, because the version I wanted had 4 legs, and that is a weird stance for my kit/style/pedals/space/etc... (as much as I'm a Tama whore)
Old 01-23-2014, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

I just got one too, mine's a round hydraulic.

Doesn't squeak but I did have to make a fuss and get a replacement seat base because mine didn't fit the seat pole clutch thing properly and had too much play (and rattled).

Now I'm very happy though. I can sit on it for long periods.

+1 to roc 'n soc
Old 01-23-2014, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

I can't play on a nitro throne--it bounces up and down too much. I prefer the spindle version.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 01-23-2014, 06:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperGTR View Post

I think I'm still going to bite. But - a few questions:

Is the squeak from the hydraulic portion? Or is it someplace else?

It is also the reason when I went with a replacement throne last year, I ended up getting the Gibraltar motorcycle throne with the added back rest. I'm not uncomfortable, but I have sat in the Roc-n-Soc throne, and it is MUCH more comfortable. The reason I went with Gibraltar? No hydraulic lift, it is a screw up/down. That was about as far as my logic went. Couldn't get the Tama, because the version I wanted had 4 legs, and that is a weird stance for my kit/style/pedals/space/etc... (as much as I'm a Tama whore)
The squeak was underneath, where the metal base plate attaches to the seat, as far as I could tell............................lubricated wherever there was metal - metal contact...........no more squeaking.

I own a Tama "First-chair" also and the Roc-n-Soc is a much more comfortable seat IMO
Old 01-23-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
I can't play on a nitro throne--it bounces up and down too much. I prefer the spindle version.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I think you just solved my issue. I forgot they made this.