DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-22-2014, 12:55 AM

Default Replacing Vintage Floor Tom Mounts Without Drilling Holes

I have an old WFL floor tom with the spring-loaded floor tom mounts and straight legs. I want to replace the mounts and legs to something a bit more stable and sturdy(curved legs), but I've been having trouble figuring out the best approach. So far, I haven't been able to find any more modern floor tom mount brackets that fit the old holes where the older brackets went. I measured the space between the two holes to be 2 5/16th inches, and it seems that they don't really make mounts with holes that far apart anymore. Most Gibraltar mounts that I've seen are spaced 2 inches apart.
Does anyone know of any specific mounts that would fit my drum? Up until now the floor tom is all original and doesn't have any extra holes, and I'd like to keep it that way in case I ever sell it.

Sidenote: I know everyone raves over the Ludwig Atlas mounts, and those would probably do the trick, but I'd like to find a solution cheaper than the $50 per mount that the Atlas ones would run me.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Replacing Vintage Floor Tom Mounts Without Drilling Holes

So the regular Ludwig Classic floor tom mount wouldn't work?
Old 01-22-2014, 01:53 AM
Platinum Member

many different floor tom mounts listed on ebay give descriptions that list the centre-t--centre hole spacing. you might fidn a 2 5/16
but 2 5/16 is close to 2 1/4 and 2 1/4 spacings are not uncommon in many older floor tom mounts listed on ebay.
you may have to go with non-WFL mounts that fit that distance.

also beware that floor tom leg diameters are also fussy and can vary by a few 1/16ths.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:53 AM
Platinum Member

Here are some modern mounts from Gretsch that I have used that have 2 1/4 inch hole spacing.
http://drumsonsale.com/product.php?id_product=12435
You could use a rat tail file to oval out one hole at each mount by 1/16". If the stock mounts were ever used again no one would ever notice a 1/16" difference.
I filed the holes like this on one of my floor toms and it worked out great.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
So the regular Ludwig Classic floor tom mount wouldn't work?
I'm not sure...my thought originally was to try to get some of those mounts because I like the screw-tightening design more than the spring-loaded, but I haven't been able to figure out if the hole spacing is the same as on the previous, late '50s era mounts.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:46 AM
Silver Member

Get the Ludwig Atlas Mounts in the 3 pack. Remove the lug casings where you'd like the legs to go and replace them with the Atlas mounts. they are great for that.

Best Regards,
Bill Ray
http://billraydrums.com
Old 01-22-2014, 04:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbshorter View Post
I'm not sure...my thought originally was to try to get some of those mounts because I like the screw-tightening design more than the spring-loaded, but I haven't been able to figure out if the hole spacing is the same as on the previous, late '50s era mounts.
Hmm. I don't know where you live, but Ludwig parts are pretty common. I would think you'd be able to go into a drum shop and ask if they have the current classic mounts and just make a comparison? Heck, there's probably plenty of people who have these classic brackets and they could tell you what the spacing is.

I'd be happy to help, but my Ludwigs are being stored at my regular venue for the next couple of days before I get them back. I bet HarryConway can help you out there with the spacing.

I like the new Ludwig Atlas mounts, but when I saw them in person, they appear too large to me. Using them as floor tom leg brackets gave me the "stuck out like a sore thumb" look, and on top of that, they're sized for 12.5mm legs, which are alot thicker and heavier than what you've been using (or used to). It's a great idea, I just didn't like the look on a vintage Ludwig drum kit (I was considering them to replace some bits on my 70s-era Bonham kit and ultimately decided against it).
Old 01-22-2014, 05:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillRayDrums View Post
Get the Ludwig Atlas Mounts in the 3 pack. Remove the lug casings where you'd like the legs to go and replace them with the Atlas mounts. they are great for that.
I have used the Atlas mounts for mounting high toms on 3 of my vintage kits, but I just can't warm up to the idea of using them for floor tom legs and bass drum cymbal holder mounts. That is why I used modern versions of classic mounts for my floor toms and bass drum mounted cymbals.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:49 AM
Silver Member

Your WFL floor tom mounts sound exactly the same as my 67 Club Date floor tom mounts. What I would suggest is just keep the mounts and use a more modern style floor tom leg. You have to remove the bottom rubber feet from the floor tom leg and then pull the legs up to remove them just in case you were wondering.
Session Work
Old 01-22-2014, 06:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
I have used the Atlas mounts for mounting high toms on 3 of my vintage kits, but I just can't warm up to the idea of using them for floor tom legs and bass drum cymbal holder mounts. That is why I used modern versions of classic mounts for my floor toms and bass drum mounted cymbals.
Then you'll have to get a Gauger RIMS cradle for the floor tom and that's gonna add about 12lbs to the drum. That's what my '61 Ludwig has. It's pretty big and clunky though.

Best Regards,
Bill Ray
http://billraydrums.com
Old 01-22-2014, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member

That WFL is the same design Ludwig used on the vintage Club Dates. I measured my 14x14 Luddie Classic mount, and I got 2" there. Elsewhere I read 1 7/8". In any event, quite short of the 2 5/16" you need. Cheap fix, put a small hose clamp under the leg bracket. Poor mans memory lock. Least the tom won't creep towards the floor. Might do a little side-to-side ..... but yeah ..... that was a crappy design.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneSFC View Post
Your WFL floor tom mounts sound exactly the same as my 67 Club Date floor tom mounts. What I would suggest is just keep the mounts and use a more modern style floor tom leg. You have to remove the bottom rubber feet from the floor tom leg and then pull the legs up to remove them just in case you were wondering.
That's a good idea. The problem is that the mounts often wiggle side to side no matter how tight I screw them in....maybe I can experiment with different washers and nuts and that might do the trick. But then that leaves the problem of figuring out what size legs fit those mounts...I tried swapping out legs on an old Pearl floor tom but they were too big around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
That WFL is the same design Ludwig used on the vintage Club Dates. I measured my 14x14 Luddie Classic mount, and I got 2" there. Elsewhere I read 1 7/8". In any event, quite short of the 2 5/16" you need. Cheap fix, put a small hose clamp under the leg bracket. Poor mans memory lock. Least the tom won't creep towards the floor. Might do a little side-to-side ..... but yeah ..... that was a crappy design.
Very frustrating design...and the funny thing is that it's much more complicated than later designs, what with it being spring-loaded and all, but it still doesn't work well.