DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 01-21-2014, 07:55 PM
Gold Member

Default Snare Comparison - Ludwig Acrolite Reissue, Pearl MCX Maple, Pearl Sensitone Elite Brass

I had my current three snare drums out yesterday tuning them, so I thought I'd make a video to compare their sounds.

I'm not strong at playing a snare and don't really even know the rudiments, so please understand that. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4dh6zo-CWM

Thoughts on the tones?
Old 01-21-2014, 08:37 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Snare Comparison - Ludwig Acrolite Reissue, Pearl MCX Maple, Pearl Sensitone Elite Brass

I like the reissue acro the best, but I've always preferred "dry" snares.........................with the Brass sensitone next.................it's pretty amazing how the brass gives it a "fuller" sound, even though it is more shallow.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Snare Comparison - Ludwig Acrolite Reissue, Pearl MCX Maple, Pearl Sensitone Elite Brass

First off, they ALL sound good.

My first choice would be the Acro, just because that is the sound I was conditioned to like at an early age, I think! What a great, versatile sound.

Second, I would choose the MCX Maple, which surprises me, because I often use a brass drum myself! But the maple had an excellent combination of brightness and mid-range body to me. I MIGHT even prefer it to the Acro as an all-arounder.

Though I like brass a lot, it tends to sound a little honk-y to me sometimes. In this vid, for whatever reason, I just didn't prefer its in-your-face brashness.

Like I said, they all sound good, and I'd be happy to use any of them on a gig.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:27 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for the comments! I like the Acrolite and Pearl MCX snares best myself and would have a hard time picking a favorite out of those two. The brass Sensitone is a fantastic drum, but it doesn't make me smile as much as the other two for whatever reason.

I kinda like the MCX the most right now, but my opinions change from day to day. LOL
Old 01-21-2014, 09:46 PM
Gold Member

Also... I can hear slight tuning issues on the MCX in this video. I planned to tweak it and make another video, but I was too lazy. It's not bad or anything, just slightly off.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtThump View Post
Also... I can hear slight tuning issues on the MCX in this video. I planned to tweak it and make another video, but I was too lazy. It's not bad or anything, just slightly off.
Yes, I agree. There are overtones suggesting uneven batter head tension. It's not bad though, and not as noticeable with the snares engaged.

If you think about it, it's pretty fantastic that this drum is still a standout even with minor tuning issues.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

They all sound great but I liked the Pearl Sensitone the best with the Acrolite second.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

Well they were all beautiful. They are all different depths, so lots of differences in tone right there.
I just love an Acrolite's sound but I would say it was the 'least versatile' of the variety of sounds gotten from those 3.
Tone-wise, the MCX was my fave.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
Yes, I agree. There are overtones suggesting uneven batter head tension. It's not bad though, and not as noticeable with the snares engaged.

If you think about it, it's pretty fantastic that this drum is still a standout even with minor tuning issues.
I've been looking at the Pearl MCX Maple snares for years, but I haven't seen any videos on YouTube that made them sound really good, so I passed. I ran across a killer deal on this 5.5" deep version new a few months back, so I bought it.

I gotta say this is definitely one of the nicer snare drums I've owned. I love it. If I could only keep a single snare, it would probably be this Pearl. It has lots of really nice "ring" to it (when the batter head is tuned better than I had it in this video!) and sounds warm and meaty.

It reminds me of the Yamaha Maple snare used in all/most of the Memphis Drum Shop videos. You know, the snare that everyone comments on sounding killer? This Pearl sounds the same to me. ;)

Also, thanks everyone for playing along and commenting!
Old 01-22-2014, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

I think I'd take the brass. Probably because its standard depth but it has a bit more of a crack to it.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:35 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

They all do sound great, and I love my Acros/Supras, but the brass is really nice! :)

Bermuda
Old 01-22-2014, 05:18 PM

I always have thought that the Pearl MCX Maple snares are hidden gems. I have the Black Silk 5.5 X 14 version and it sounds great. I get compliments on it all the time. I really like the deepened snare beds and die cast hoops. Nice touches for a snare at that price point.

Choose your favorite single or double ply batter and hazy snare heads, tune em up medium tight to tight, and you have a very professional sounding drum that's versatile enough for most all situations. :)
Old 01-22-2014, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member

Thumpster - great presentation of three really good sounding snares. Nice tuning too :)
Old 01-22-2014, 07:50 PM
Gold Member

Thanks again! I've spent ALOT of time trying to learn how to dial in a good snare sound and it's not easy IMO. I can't do it 100% consistently, but can get there with a little time. :)
Old 01-24-2014, 07:21 PM
Platinum Member

All nice snares!

I liked the Acro and Brass. Not a big wood snare fan I guess. It sounded really nice, but the tone and ring of the other two I like more.

Can't decide between the Acro and Brass. They would both work great, and would depend on the room and 'mood of the day" of course :-)
The 6.5 Acro is a really cool snare anyway. I was SO glad they finally made a 6.5 version of that snare.

My Brass Worldmax snare sounds a bit like yours. A bit more open, due to the tube lugs and straight hoops, but, the fat, solid character is the same.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:42 AM
Silver Member

Great job with this comparison - that was really cool! Yes, they all sound great and thanks for not cranking the drums into the stratosphere... My favorite is definitely the brass Sensitone - love the warmth and fulness of brass. And also that nice top end that highlights the snares just enough. Try as I might, I just don't vibe with Acrolites - too dry, too thin... But that 6.5 depth definitely is cool sounding, even though I usually like 5's and 5.5s...