DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 01-19-2014, 01:57 AM

Default Iron Cobras sluggish? Don't loosen the springs

So I keep coming back to my IC every few weeks, alternating between them and my speed cobras as I try to decide on a favorite. To me the feel of the motion of the IC is just about perfect, but after enjoying the lighter feel of the SC I wanted to try and get my power glides to feel as "light" as possible.

The first step seemed logical enough to me: loosen the springs, right?

Wrong.

Loosening the springs on the IC in an attempt to lighten the feel is a mistake.
I dunno about other pedals but this absolutely makes my IC sluggish. Yes they are easier to press down (at slow speed) but looser springs give them a heavier feel above a certain speed.

Tighter springs do not feel heavier on the IC, or take any more effort to play. In fact they feel lighter and allow the pedals do what they are designed to do, which means my ankles don't work as hard.

I think we all recognize that generally tighter springs will facilitate more speed, but the point I'm trying to make is tighter springs on these particular pedals makes them feel lighter and smoother, not simply faster. The pedals just spring to life, pardon the pun.

Note: springs used on my IC are the same Tama super springs that are on the speed cobras.

Last edited by bud7h4; 01-23-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:07 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: iron cobras sluggish? Don't loosen the springs

I have always found this to be the case, regardless of the pedal manufacturer. The looser the spring, the more sluggish the return is because the spring is using less tension to return the entire movable mass back to neutral. I would imagine the difference in return between the two pedals is that the SC has the cobra coil that helps return the foot board to a static position and I am guessing your IC is older and doesn't have the cobra coil.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:18 PM

It's actually a new PG double with the coil (and I believe some post-speed cobra upgrades?) but I don't use the coil on either the IC or SC. All it does is rebound the pedal prematurely causing slack in the chain. It might work well below a certain speed but for fast kicks it feels aweful.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Ok that's your preferred setting, to not move the spring, but the spring adjustment must be there for a reason - to loosen or tighten to taste.

I have an IC and I prefer its spring on the looser side, but I don't do fast double bass work or anything.

Member - Jim Gordon Fan Club
Old 01-19-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
Ok that's your preferred setting, to not move the spring, but the spring adjustment must be there for a reason - to loosen or tighten to taste.

I have an IC and I prefer its spring on the looser side, but I don't do fast double bass work or anything.
Looser springs can make pedals easier to control for many people. There are lots of reasons to adjust the springs. I'm just saying that I have found that loosening the springs on the IC in search of a lighter feel will result in just the opposite when you try playing faster. The pedals actually feel heavier. Not just slower - heavier.

On my speed cobras I prefer medium loose springs and tighter drum head. The pedal board length and mass don't react the same way - or I should say to the same degree - as the IC. Tightening the springs on the SC do affect endurance for sustained single strokes, while on the IC all it does is make them smoother and faster without requiring more effort. To me this translates as "lighter".
Old 01-27-2014, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Iron Cobras sluggish? Don't loosen the springs

Hey bud7h4,

I just made a post earlier today about the difference between the heavy IC springs and the speed cobra springs.

In short, what's the difference?

Here's the link to my thread.
http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113768

Thanks!