DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 01-14-2014, 04:54 AM

Default What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Hey everyone,
I just finished publishing a video about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R on Youtube). I was curious what you all thought about him, his drumming technique and style.

I personally love listening to his covers, but I'm curious what you all think.

PS. the video can be found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjQrvZjhnHI
Old 01-14-2014, 05:06 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Hadn't heard of him, and bailed on the promo clip after about 30 seconds. What gives?

Bermuda
Old 01-14-2014, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Hadn't heard of him, and bailed on the promo clip after about 30 seconds. What gives?

Bermuda
I just think that he's an awesome drummer and wanted to see if other people shared the same mentality! I would recommend checking out his drum covers if you like hearing drummers play over songs!
Old 01-14-2014, 05:12 AM

Here's a link to Casey's page - http://www.youtube.com/user/COOP3RDRUMM3R

I checked out Gangnam Style. He puts a lot into the video presentation, and his playing is okay, but he's not tight with the track. More flams than the DCI snare finals!

Bermuda
Old 01-14-2014, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Here's a link to Casey's page - http://www.youtube.com/user/COOP3RDRUMM3R
Thanks a lot for putting that link there.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:19 AM

Okay, in order to be fair, I checked out Thriller too.

Same problem. He needs to get more on the beat. He drifts in & out of being behind it.

Bermuda
Old 01-14-2014, 05:40 AM

All of my youtube time is spent watching Mike Talbot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBDwmZE9WyY
Old 01-14-2014, 07:54 AM

I'm not keen on the constant stick trickery. It's a bit of a trend with the younger youtube covers drummers but I find it incredibly irritating.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeChimmy View Post
but I'm curious what you all think.
Just another kid playing covers on YouTube. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with it, he plays ok. But so what? So do countless thousands of others all doing exactly the same thing. There's nothing to make him stand out as someone who's doing anything unique or special in any way IMHO.

Again nothing wrong with what he's doing, if watching yet one more drummer regurgitate covers on social media is your thing. He plays alright, has some nice little things going on at times and I've seen far worse players out there looking for recognition.

But personally I really don't get the fuss, nor the need to single him out in his own thread. I'm not trying to be a downer, but you did ask. To me, he certainly doesn't stand out anymore than any of the other hit and run posters putting up covers in the Your Playing thread.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:19 AM

I watched a few of the vids....I'm not going to criticize the playing, on the other hand, I'm not going to endorse it. It does not move me one way or the other; not bad, not better than good. Certainly not interesting or inspiring. I would not disrespect him nor would I recommend him.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeChimmy View Post
I personally love listening to his covers, but I'm curious what you all think.
I'm curious what you find so inspiring about him. Is he a buddy of yours?
Old 01-14-2014, 12:03 PM

He's OK. To me, he's one of those drummers that have more flair(?) than substance. But from what I see, he's inspired lots of people to pick up a pair of sticks... and buy a set of EXX Exports or A Zildjians (85% of the people I see picking up the stuff(s) on Twitter say that they got it because of him).

So that's... good, I guess? After all, a musician's job, I believe, is to do to 3 things: Entertain, Educate, Inspire. (And make a buck or two so that you can continue doing those three things).

He ain't no Virgil Donati or Steve Gadd, so I can't say he's a phenomenal player. But since my skills are crappier than his, I can't bash or disrespect the lad, either.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

I don't wish to sound cruel, but I don't rate him as a musician. This probably sums it up the best.

He isn't making mature compositional choices, and he's also playing ahead of the beat most of the time. To be quite frank, if I caught myself doing a lot of the things he's doing, I would be retreating to the practice room with my metaphorical tail between my legs. And to have the nerve to think that these are positive contributions to the source material demonstrates a certain bravery, I suppose, but also a lack of self-awareness and musical sensitivity.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:37 PM
The Old Hyde

anyone spelling a name with number is using a gaming tag and that's just immature. be a pro by starting with your name spelled with all letters.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

The last 2 posts - and most of the previous posts - resonate a lot with me.

What I'd like to know is:
What makes that drummer special? What's his style? How does he differ from others? Oh, he doesn't? Because that's not what he's aiming for. He's a copyist rather than an inventor? Fine. I'm just not interested in keeping track with what he's doing. Maybe in a few years once he even started developing a style of his own.

We all make decisions. Whether being the millionth (although maybe even good) copy of somebody who's out there already (plus the million copies of him/her) or maybe... developing his/her own voice? I know what I'd go for.

(I stumbled across a video of him a while ago but I think the stick ticks rather put me off. Ah, those YouTube show-off drummers... Maybe I'd be one of them if I could do that stuff. But I'm not, and a good deal older than most of them.)

Trying not to be impolite, but my impression of this thread is like: Hey, I'll push you and you push me - deal?
Old 01-14-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQleyR View Post
...and he's also playing ahead of the beat most of the time.
Interesting, in the two clips I viewed, he was dragging at times. He definitely needs to work on locking-in with tracks (if playing-along is how he intends to present himself.)

Sorry to sound like everyone is dogpiling on this guy, but he's just not an "awesome drummer" in my opinion. He plays reasonably well, and might sound better with a live band where a little push and pull is more acceptable and easily masked. Putting himself against the 'clock' of a track isn't working as well as he probably wanted it to.

Seems like a sincere guy though, and he looks a like a cross between Keith Moon and me at an early age!

Bermuda
Old 01-14-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XG65 View Post
He's OK. To me, he's one of those drummers that have more flair(?) than substance. But from what I see, he's inspired lots of people to pick up a pair of sticks... and buy a set of EXX Exports or A Zildjians (85% of the people I see picking up the stuff(s) on Twitter say that they got it because of him).
What is Twitter? Sounds like a new kind of gelatin..
Old 01-14-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Interesting, in the two clips I viewed, he was dragging at times. He definitely needs to work on locking-in with tracks (if playing-along is how he intends to present himself.)

Sorry to sound like everyone is dogpiling on this guy, but he's just not an "awesome drummer" in my opinion. He plays reasonably well, and might sound better with a live band where a little push and pull is more acceptable and easily masked. Putting himself against the 'clock' of a track isn't working as well as he probably wanted it to.

Seems like a sincere guy though, and he looks a like a cross between Keith Moon and me at an early age!

Bermuda
Maybe he is dragging so much that it seems like he is ahead of the follow-on beat drop LOL
Old 01-14-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingMadlyBackwards View Post
Maybe he is dragging so much that it seems like he is ahead of the follow-on beat drop LOL
I could forgive him for being on the wrong beat, if he was at least locked-into it!

Bermuda
Old 01-14-2014, 08:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XG65 View Post
He ain't no Virgil Donati or Steve Gadd, so I can't say he's a phenomenal player. But since my skills are crappier than his, I can't bash or disrespect the lad, either.
this is what i think when i look at his videos. the only thing that ticks me off is the stick acrobatics
Old 01-14-2014, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I was going to say that as well, but, listening to the video I posted while I typed, I decided it was much more on the pushing side. He did drag in a few fills though. It's just not brilliant time.

Quote:
Seems like a sincere guy though
I agree, and I don't want to denigrate or disrespect him for having a go and putting himself out there. He does seem to have set himself up as a Big Deal though, and I think there's a lot of blinding with science going on, the stick tricks, the histrionics of the performance...the focus looks to be on entertainment first, music second, and personally I like an equal measure of both.

However I also know well that sometimes you have to go out there and get stuff wrong in order to truly grow as a performer, it's an unfortunate reality of our times that your early performances are no longer one-off transient experiences quickly lost in the mists of time, but recordings that people can go over and criticize again and again and again (for which I apologize, COOP3RDRUMM3R, if you ever happen to read this!)
Old 01-14-2014, 08:59 PM

Just watched him playing through "No One Knows" which has an AWESOME drum line, in my opinion. His cover of this song summarizes all that has been said so far (mainly about timming).
Dynamics is also a problem imo, listen to Dave Grohl playing this one (he's known for hitting hard, btw).

An interesting idea: "practice twirling sticks with a metronome", as he is one of your idols.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

I don't want to denigrate the guy, either. Fair play for him putting it all out there.

The think that irks me the most though is that his recordings are dreadful. Everything is clipping, all the time...
Old 01-18-2014, 10:45 PM

After watching a few videos, he seems like an interesting guy who's just working his way thru college doing what he likes best and thats playing drums and having fun. That was something I wish I could have done back in the day. I use to play covers all the time in my younger days but we just didn't have videos, Youtube, Facebook etc. I say more power to him and I want say rather he's bad or good. All I can say is I' m not interested in some of the covers it's just not my kind of music but over all I think he's pretty good. Btw I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I love the forum.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:29 PM
"Uncle Larry"

As far as I can tell the OP is Casey Cooper, the guy in the video. So it's a thinly veiled thread, trying to trick us. The link on his sig and the vid he is pushing features the same guy. Cmon Casey, we're not THAT dumb.

Gomez Addams
Old 01-18-2014, 11:43 PM

That's Casey?

Hmmm, does that mean I can say what I really think of his playing?! :)
Old 01-19-2014, 12:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
As far as I can tell the OP is Casey Cooper, the guy in the video. So it's a thinly veiled thread, trying to trick us. The link on his sig and the vid he is pushing features the same guy. Cmon Casey, we're not THAT dumb.
Hmmm, I don't think so, Lar. Mike IS the guy in the "Casey Tribute" video, but if you watch the videos by Casey himself, they don't look the same.

Compare this guy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjQrv...oPYHSw&index=1

To this guy - http://youtu.be/1cH0YDLtxzs

Who knows, though. Sometimes I'm a thinly veiled dummy...
Old 01-19-2014, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
If that's the case, then he's shed a hell of a lot of hair.........not to mention been feasting in a good paddock too.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:
That's Casey?

Hmmm, does that mean I can say what I really think of his playing?! :)
Every person that posts performance videos here has one objective....a not so thinly veiled call for attention. In that regard, they should get the attention in the form of objective commentary whether it be good or bad.

So, yes, in my world you should absolutely say what you think about the drumming whether it's good or bad....and if it is bad, then so be it. They came here to show us what they got and if what they got needs work, then it should be pointed out.

Problem is that some folks have a very thinly veiled form of bravado in the written and personally obfuscated form known as an online forum, and, can't handle the objective truth, which then causes hurt feelings and irrational flare ups....then ultimately the messenger is constrained by the mob mentality or "management".

Say it like it is.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:22 AM

I did say it like it is. I could have said even more. :)
Old 01-19-2014, 01:28 AM

Quote:
I did say it like it is. I could have said even more. :)
Yes, you gave your thoughts, which were correct in my opinion and you certainly have the playing credentials to say as much as you wish, objectively....and if there is more you should say it, if you want, if nothing more than from a teaching perspective. That is a *positive* exchange if you ask me. ;-)
Old 01-19-2014, 04:49 AM
Platinum Member

Why are you always shouting at me, Mike Chimney?
Old 01-19-2014, 03:18 PM
Silver Member

I looked at this http://youtu.be/2ZxfdydQSCE

And it looks like he doesn't have much imagination and thst protool cameras everywhere and quantization (sp) does a lot.

Just isn't something I enjoy.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingMadlyBackwards View Post
Every person that posts performance videos here has one objective....a not so thinly veiled call for attention. In that regard, they should get the attention in the form of objective commentary whether it be good or bad.

So, yes, in my world you should absolutely say what you think about the drumming whether it's good or bad....and if it is bad, then so be it. They came here to show us what they got and if what they got needs work, then it should be pointed out.

Problem is that some folks have a very thinly veiled form of bravado in the written and personally obfuscated form known as an online forum, and, can't handle the objective truth, which then causes hurt feelings and irrational flare ups....then ultimately the messenger is constrained by the mob mentality or "management".

Say it like it is.
Shemp? Is that you?
Old 02-14-2014, 06:40 AM

Casey Coopers playing style simply overwhelms me. On some of the slower songs it seems he leaves the stick on the drum head(something my drum teacher does not want me doing).
Old 02-14-2014, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum4fun27302 View Post
Love the comment "nice jazzy sound" - hahahaha
Old 02-14-2014, 11:13 AM

Very difficult to sum the guy up. He has endorsements from Zildjian using the super high end stuff just because of his videos. On a personal level, it seems that a lot of people can relate to him (just a kid with no money who wants to make music and has a modicum of talent).

Drumming wise he is perhaps better than me at certain things, but there are things I dislike.

1) His attitude towards certain songs. I cannot remember what video it was, but he said he covers songs where he thinks the beat is bad and wants to improve it. I don't think he understands why beats are 'simple' in some songs. I say simple because while playing 4/4 might be 'easy' if the feel isn't there it can sound completely wrong.

2) He seems to just cover what people want him to rather than spending time improving his playing. Now he's got his endorsements perhaps he needs to work a little more on progressing (unless thats part of his contract then he will be stuck in a rut for a long time).

3) Songs like 'The Pretender' do not need to be improvised, but he jams over the top of them with stuff that just does not make sense. All he has done is bastardise what is a very good drum track by Taylor Hawkins. And people still dig this stuff.

It all amounts to a point scoring exercise. I'm very glad that he got declined for America's Got Talent, his playing is not awe inspiring. Fair play to him for having a go of course...

I only look at drum covers to get a reliable guide for certain tracks I want to learn, like Superstition, I feel good etc. The only purpose Casey serves me, is to remind me that not all popular drummers are superhuman. If one things exposes his playing over anything else, it's his drum solos on his big kit. Too much trickery not enough competence for someone who gives it the beans about how great they are.

I'm envious of his endorsements, he is a lucky son of a gun. That's all that I'm envious of though...
Old 02-14-2014, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFrench501 View Post
1) His attitude towards certain songs. I cannot remember what video it was, but he said he covers songs where he thinks the beat is bad and wants to improve it. I don't think he understands why beats are 'simple' in some songs. I say simple because while playing 4/4 might be 'easy' if the feel isn't there it can sound completely wrong..
You know, I never picked up on this. But you raise a very valid point......it also ties in somewhat with the point you've made in #3. I think it's a very bold call for anyone to claim to be able to "improve" (so to speak) on something that has already been declared a bona fide "hit"....or at the very least has been deemed commercially acceptable in a wider spectrum. Agree wholeheartedly that it's a claim that is in real danger of displaying a simplistic attitude to what musicality, tastefulness and restraint is all about in the first place. As a valuable DW member once correctly observed, it's akin to saying that painting a defined smile on the Mona Lisa would inherently improve on that mysterious smirk that has been obsessed over for generations. If you've truly got that much to offer.......go write your own song and show us.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFrench501 View Post
Very difficult to sum the guy up. He has endorsements from Zildjian using the super high end stuff just because of his videos. On a personal level, it seems that a lot of people can relate to him (just a kid with no money who wants to make music and has a modicum of talent).

Drumming wise he is perhaps better than me at certain things, but there are things I dislike.

1) His attitude towards certain songs. I cannot remember what video it was, but he said he covers songs where he thinks the beat is bad and wants to improve it. I don't think he understands why beats are 'simple' in some songs. I say simple because while playing 4/4 might be 'easy' if the feel isn't there it can sound completely wrong.

2) He seems to just cover what people want him to rather than spending time improving his playing. Now he's got his endorsements perhaps he needs to work a little more on progressing (unless thats part of his contract then he will be stuck in a rut for a long time).

3) Songs like 'The Pretender' do not need to be improvised, but he jams over the top of them with stuff that just does not make sense. All he has done is bastardise what is a very good drum track by Taylor Hawkins. And people still dig this stuff.

It all amounts to a point scoring exercise. I'm very glad that he got declined for America's Got Talent, his playing is not awe inspiring. Fair play to him for having a go of course...

I only look at drum covers to get a reliable guide for certain tracks I want to learn, like Superstition, I feel good etc. The only purpose Casey serves me, is to remind me that not all popular drummers are superhuman. If one things exposes his playing over anything else, it's his drum solos on his big kit. Too much trickery not enough competence for someone who gives it the beans about how great they are.

I'm envious of his endorsements, he is a lucky son of a gun. That's all that I'm envious of though...
Yeah I'm defending the guy and I don't mean to bash you
1) Link the video and I'll believe you. I've watched a ton of his videos and I can't recall him saying that.
2) I don't agree. He gets a ton of requests every day so obviously he will cover a song that someone have requested. He also covers a lot of new songs and as fast a new song hits the top 25 someone will request it.
3) Weak argument from my side here: It is his videos and his covers. Correct me if I'm wrong but you can find him just grooving behind a band live.

He might not be the worlds greatest but he is a good inspiration. He teaches the importance to practice to a metronome and he shows that it's all about having fun behind the kit.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDark3r View Post
He teaches the importance to practice to a metronome and he shows that it's all about having fun behind the kit.
But he has yet to demonstrate good time in most of his videos?