DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Playing

Your Playing Show us Your Playing

Old 12-31-2013, 04:26 PM
Silver Member

Default Finally released the first single from our EP!!!

Hey, I know I've disappeared from these forums for a while but, I'm back now.

Here's the first single from our upcoming EP and album following shortly after.
We recorded this ourselves at our studios (Omega Studios) and then sent it to Acle of 4D studios/TesseracT to master and sprinkle some of his magic on the track.

This track is featuring some guest vocals on the chorus by Dan Tompkins of Skyharbour (ex TesseracT)

And also a guest guitar solo From Gino Bambino of Novallo (the first solo)

We're still in the process of finding a permanent singer so our guitarist is doing it for now.

Let me know what you guys think anyway. Thank you! PLEASE LISTEN AT 1080P or it will suck! Thanks!

http://youtu.be/grxf8svR6U0
Old 12-31-2013, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Finally released the first single from our EP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky View Post
Let me know what you guys think anyway. Thank you! PLEASE LISTEN AT 1080P or it will suck! Thanks!

http://youtu.be/grxf8svR6U0
Not my kind of stuff at all, but you've obviously put a lot of work in on it, & the result is very professional.

BTW, try posting this link, as it forces HD. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grxf8...=youtu.be&hd=1

720p is enough to show a big audio difference. 1080p just slows down the playback unless the viewer goes to full screen.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:46 PM
Gold Member

Love it, love it, love it! I want to hear more!
Old 12-31-2013, 07:03 PM
Silver Member

Believe in the Hybrid theory...Sounds very professional, that's for sure.

We should not only comment good things when someone posts their music. if there are constructive criticisms I think those should be stated as well... as objectively as possible.

I listened to the whole song. I like the music and it's obviously well performed and recorded, you don't need me to tell you that...but I also love Disturbed and thought Hybrid Theory was a phenomenal creation. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that this sounds derivative and not something new and different.

Last edited by shemp; 12-31-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

I took 2 listening rounds (typing this while listening to that track for the 3rd time - in fact, as I continued typing I listened to the track for a 4th time, haha)...

1st round impression:
Cool stuff! Sounds pro, no doubt.
Nice break before the solo section (at around 3.00 - great thing to let the listener breathe before plunging into the next/solo section), and I like the song not to be too long.

Con:
- WAY too much of that strobosonic/slicing effect. (Reminds me of overdoing that Cher autotune thing which went viral.) But - I haven't been into listening to metal for quite some time and I'm anything that well informed of what's going on ATM. Maybe that thing has been around for years and I simply didn't notice it.
- I'd prefer the lyrics to be displayed one full verse line at a time, instead of that 'display what is being sung at that moment'.

Solo parts: 1st with way too much strobosonic fx.

----

2nd listening round (and following):
The song seems more and more coherent to me, that strobosonic effect doesn't stand out too unpleasingly. I still have some problems with it, I'm just not that familiar with it. (Another perspective would be: Thumbs up for experimenting/striving for new sounds - which you might have picked up by other bands, I don't know - can't judge on the bands that shemp mentioned, I simply don't know them.)
Ultimately, everything is coming together nicely and the track sounds organic and reasonable.

My initial perception of the lyrics being displayed too abruptly faded away somewhat, it seemed ok with more listening rounds.
Congrats!!
Old 01-01-2014, 02:45 AM
Silver Member

Hey, thanks for the kind replies people. Yeah the lyrics kind of do pop up fast! I thought a nice pair of Mickey Mouse ears bobbing over the lyrics would of been nice but I was out-voted...

Never really thought we sounded like Disturbed but, also never really listened to them apart form the hits that get played in nightclubs.

We've had alot of good comments from people about the glitch (strobe) effects so I think it's one of those things if you like it you love it etc. But so far this is the only track we have that really sounds like this, we did it because it all ties in with the digital oblivion theme of the track etc so, our EP is not just one big stroke inducing glitch-fest lol. Although I feel the people who like that stuff will complain that our other tracks are not more of the same so... can't please everyone all the time!

Pleased with the comments I appreciate it. Thanks for that link to Keep It Simple!
Old 01-02-2014, 10:28 AM

The music itself is not really the type I'd listen to, but I have to say the drumming is excellent!

Nice job!

It's funny, I remember when Fear Factory came out with that digitally influenced metal sound they were really sounding really different and new.
Nowadays those albums just sound like albums
Old 01-03-2014, 04:38 AM
Silver Member

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

Yeah, I remember when I was a teen and Fear Factory were fresh. I was always hungry for more bands like them and there just wasn't any really. It's alot more common now and has been taken even further by some bands.
Someone has to start a new sound I suppose, although they rarely get the credit they deserve.
They were great live too!
Old 01-07-2014, 02:34 AM
Silver Member

Also, EP is being released this weekend so I'll have more material on here soon. Maybe some playthroughs in the future too.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:07 AM
Gold Member

This had me thinking of Fear Factory for sure (with maybe a small dose of Disturbed thrown in).
Love it when a vocalist brings both clean/ growling vocals to the table much like Butron C. Bell (although your singer has a better clean voice).
Loved the stroboscopic/ slicing effect (had no idea what it was called until I read Arky's post)- just adds another dimension of heaviness I feel.
Going back to give it another listen- LOVED IT!!!
Old 01-07-2014, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmc View Post
Loved the stroboscopic/ slicing effect (had no idea what it was called until I read Arky's post) (...)
Todd, that was my guess/invention. Sounds good, doesn't it? ;-)
Chunky used the term 'glitch'. Not sure what the official term is or whether there is one in the first place.
As for 'slicing' - I picked up that term from a Roland/Boss FX stomp box that is called the Slicer (SL-20).
Old 01-09-2014, 05:59 PM
Silver Member

Is that Slicer pedal a noise gate by any chance? or is it desinged to actually stutter the sound? Intrigued.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member

Chunky, that pedal can do a lot - here's a video.
The pedal is the Boss SL-20 Slicer (I said Roland - basically it's the same thing though).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgkZDox3t2A

I didn't really check it out, just somehow memorized the effects name from a few years ago, being at my music store.

Watching that video, I'm intrigued myself! Haha. How would that thingy sound with distorted guitars?
A stutter effect would be called a tremolo. Boss has some dedicated effects on that. (And other manufacturers too, of course.)
Old 01-10-2014, 03:20 PM
Renegade

Absolutely killer, Chunky. I don't dig metal but I like what you guys do more than almost any of the others - not sure if that's a kiss of death or a sign that you could pick up some crossover audience (probably not quinquagenarian women, though :)

Smart lyrics too, if a bit preachy. "Digital senses" ... what a great insight.

Playing is top notch. If you don't watch it you'll find yourself in the next DT audition after Mike M finally breaks the speed of sound and spontaneously combusts ...

Soundcloud stream
Old 01-11-2014, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Polly! I think I'd need several more decades before I could fill that mans shoes...

I have absolutely no idea what a quinquagenarian woman is!!!

I'm glad not just metallers can appreciate this music, I know we're heavy but, we do aim to write songs at the end of the day and not just distorted/technical statements, so I appreciate that.

Our EP is being released tonight in a couple of hours! Excited!
Old 01-12-2014, 06:22 AM
Platinum Member

A bit digital for me but still very good, very professional.

I think playing this type of thing and trying to emulate the perfection of the e-drums will be a very good exercise for you. I want to be in a djent band but I can't find anyone in poor old Sydney :(
Old 01-12-2014, 07:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
A bit digital for me but still very good, very professional.

I think playing this type of thing and trying to emulate the perfection of the e-drums will be a very good exercise for you. I want to be in a djent band but I can't find anyone in poor old Sydney :(
Drums were recorded at our studios, Omega Studios. Obviously I won't be playing the actual digital/breakbeat type loops in the breakdown section, that's on backing tracks live and I stick to keeping time, same as I did on the record. Simple.

Only major differences live is we've opted NOT to play the fast 16th triplets at the end of last bar of the first riff.
We play fast unison double bass/guitar parts like that al the time but, because this was a digital themed song and we cut the audio up so much there to get a broken/chopped sound we decided it simply sounds better to stay true to the sound of the recording and run that one 'fill' off the backing tracks so, I basically just keep playing but miss the feet out for that one last blast and the guitars cut out too and let the backing do its thing.

Was actually very hard to stop myself playing this at first. When we first record it, it didn't have that part in even, I just chopped the bass drum and guitars there but, once we got used to it that's the way I want to play it! It's deceptively hard to hold back!

It' for the greater good though, it sounds better than simply playing it just to show we can play those 16th note triplets (which we've done a thousand times before) and sacrifice the theme and sound of the song.

I'd be interested to know how many other drummers on here have had to do similar things live, whether it's leaving a snare out of a backbeat for a backing to play a sample or whatever?

But, it's real man, not all djent bands are fake. Check out Periphery 2, TesseracT - Altered State and Monuments. Atually when I spoke to Mike and he told me how he actually recorded the drums to Gnosis I was nearly sick on the floor!

keep searching, you'll find musicians, although I'll admit, it isn't easy to find them :(
Old 01-14-2014, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

Oh, sorry, Arky I checked that vid out and yeah looks pretty decent. I know what a tremelo effect is and for the kind of stuff we do it's just not really useful.

I think a midi switch, something that can be programmed and ran through a DAW to a click live to cut out on time would be amazing.

Seems more and more bands are programming effects live. What is great for guitarists is the fact you can program multiple pedals to turn on or off at the same time which would be impossible to do with your feet as you only have 2.

This means you HAVE to play to a click though but, free's up alot of worry and opens up so much potential for a guitarist. Or anyone for that matter, I'm going to be looking into it for our drum sound live as I want to vary my reverbs etc.