DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-26-2013, 03:49 PM

Default portable audio recorder

Hi y'all

merry Christmas.

I have been given 100 of Amazon vouchers.

I want a portable audio recorder to record our band rehearsals. We are a 5 piece rock band but at reherasals I use a yamaha dtexreme electronic kit.

Looks like my budget will stretch to...

zoom h1 or tascam dr05

the reherasal room is about 20ft square..we position ourselves in a circle looking into the middle.

What's the best recorder for my budget?

cheers
Old 12-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: portable audio recorder

I have never used the Zoom, but I do use the Tascam every week at rehersal and it does a good job. Obviously it is not the highest level of recording, but using two small condensor mics in a noise saturated environment is not the recipe for studio quality audio. It does a better job with higher freq's than lower ones due mostly to the size of the mic's. So I put it closer to my bass drum and bass amp than the guitar amps.

I have also used a couple of SM 57's into a mixer with the headphone output plugged into the recorder with pretty good results. The tascam allows you to adjust the recording level which is also a really cool and highly valuable function.

If you pick it up at Guitar Center you have 30 day to take it back. So I would recommend buying it and playing with it for a while. If you dont like it, take it back within 30 days.