DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 12-27-2013, 12:00 AM
Gold Member

Default Music Resume and Teaching?

I am currently in the process of updating and modifying my resumes. I just got out of school full time and want to include my school related info. This got me thinking, why not a music resume?

A musical resume for me would be rather in depth. I have tons of band, studio, and live experience, as well as some teaching and freelance work.

I know lots of folks have business cards, but does that do any good if you are looking for a teaching job, or are starting up your own individual teaching program?

Just looking for others' opinions on this, and if you do have a music resume, does/has it helped at all? Or would I just be wasting my time?
Old 12-27-2013, 12:08 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Music Resume and Teaching?

Do you have a music teaching degree? That would help a lot.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:21 AM
Gold Member

No I don't. I am a designer/draftsman by trade, and just completed an AS program while the job market here was basically nil in that area. It is slowly coming back around, but I am considering other options still. I don't want to get stuck doing a job I don't like.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:31 AM
Silver Member

I would post flyers in places that allow you to do that, Craigslist, talk to the local grade school music teachers and see if they could send their percussionists to you.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:32 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
I am currently in the process of updating and modifying my resumes. I just got out of school full time and want to include my school related info. This got me thinking, why not a music resume?

A musical resume for me would be rather in depth. I have tons of band, studio, and live experience, as well as some teaching and freelance work.

I know lots of folks have business cards, but does that do any good if you are looking for a teaching job, or are starting up your own individual teaching program?

Just looking for others' opinions on this, and if you do have a music resume, does/has it helped at all? Or would I just be wasting my time?
Good question....I took a 14 month sabbatical back in 05/06 and went to GIT and remodeled my kitchen. I thought, well, maybe I will teach guitar for some extra bones....I did exactly what you are asking about...made a nice 1 page music resume, had it printed on some sweet paper and laminated. Got two interviews here and one teaching offer. By the time the offer came around, I decided to get back to engineering so I did not take the job. I learned a lot going through the process though. Lots of noise on CL, so my philosophy was hand delivering the resumes to local shops and talking to the people up front.

I say do it.

Last edited by shemp; 12-27-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:47 AM
Platinum Member

I am also a drafter, and I also don't like the job. The problem is that there are so many drafters now that I don't think it is a good career anymore (besides the fact that the work sucks) because the wages have become stagnant due to a huge over-supply of semi-skilled drafters who will work for peanuts just to get a job.

I'm stuck doing this for now, but I'll eventually just start growing stuff (if you know what I mean, legally of course) because I know how to do it pretty good. Besides that, I decided that I just don't want to spend my life surrounded by those office worker types of people everyday of my life. The names and faces change, but the bullshit remains. I am also studying how to be a drum teacher too, but that will take a little time. I need to take a few lesson myself and I need to have a better grasp on my rudiments. I think a NARD membership would look good on my resume since I have no degree. At least I will have some kind of official certificate showing some credentials.

Long story short, maybe a NARD membership will be a great addition to your resume. It couldn't hurt.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:06 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
I am also a drafter, and I also don't like the job. The problem is that there are so many drafters now that I don't think it is a good career anymore (besides the fact that the work sucks) because the wages have become stagnant due to a huge over-supply of semi-skilled drafters who will work for peanuts just to get a job.
I think my previous post was misunderstood. I like being a drafter, but until I can secure another drafting position, I want to try to do something else I would enjoy and not something I don't, like flipping burgers. I need to use my brain. If I don't I start to hate everything on a daily basis.

NARD is a good idea, I am glad you mentioned that. Definitely something to consider.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
I think my previous post was misunderstood. I like being a drafter, but until I can secure another drafting position, I want to try to do something else I would enjoy and not something I don't, like flipping burgers. I need to use my brain. If I don't I start to hate everything on a daily basis.

NARD is a good idea, I am glad you mentioned that. Definitely something to consider.
Sorry, I misunderstood. I am totally burned out on it myself, but I'll spare you the details.

Good luck getting back at it. Certainly a degree will make you stand out hopefully better.