DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-20-2013, 05:41 PM

Default Remo Ebony oily film issue

I just opened 2 Remo Ebony Ambassadors and they both have a streaky oily looking film across the surface. I tried cleaning it with no results and it looks pretty bad. Not sure if it a release agent or something? Is this normal for these? I have pictures that I will post that show the issue. Hopefully I'm not being picky, because I can handle some imperfection but from a certain angle these look really bad!

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Remo Ebony oily film issue

It is not oil.

Ebony heads get the black color from a thin layer of black film under the regular mylar. Effectually making it a two ply head.

When the two layers are joined, inevitably a negligible amount of air gets trapped in-between the two plies. Light going through through the mylar head and air causes a prism effect.

Completely normal for any two ply head.

Usually becomes less noticeable once you put it on a drum and tighten the head up.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:08 PM

I wasn't aware that any Ambassador head was 2 ply. These aren't 'Newton Rings' or whatever they are called. I have plenty of 2 ply heads that exhibit this characteristic. I have a set of Black Chromes and I love the sporadic prismatic look. This is different. It is banded and a definite pattern across the surface. Not to refute you entirely because I do not claim to know everything but all signs are pointing me to the fact it is something on the surface.

...and I'm thinking I am wrong. Thanks for the help! It do look like a too ply head!

Last edited by Arky; 12-20-2013 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
Old 12-20-2013, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

I've seen this before, it's a defect in the film. They should replace it at the store, or where ever you got it from.
If it's for a tom batter, it'll get marked up anyway, so a replacement if you feel like it. If it's a reso, you likely wouldn't see it, so again, if you feel like it.
If it's for a bass drum reso, I'd take/send it back.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:11 AM

Yeah, they are resos for 2 of my mounted toms. Slightly annoying to say the least. Thanks for the help!