DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 12-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Who's the fastest drummer on Drummerworld?

I enjoy exhibitions of skill of all types. Lots of things take lots of hours over the years to develop.
I'm not particularly interested in competitions though.
There's more to gain and to learn for all involved through co-operation instead.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:46 AM
Silver Member

This thread has devolved into an "I see the use for double bass"/"I don't see the need". Similar arguments to all the threads on single bass/double bass for drums.

You'll note that no one says anything about having fast hands, but fast feet seems to be anathema. Look at Buddy Rich, his hands move too damn fast, should we discount it as real drumming?

Obviously, no. The same thing applies to feet and hands working together. There's got to be musicality to the exercise, no doubt. Who'd be interested in hearing a mush of notes that aren't in time and are just being thrown out there to ensure a high score on a drum-o-meter.

Maybe that's how we could distinguish this test of mettle from WFD. We should have a click as a prerequisite to ensure things are in time.

Of course, I realise the idea has been deep-sixed already. The reasons, of course, intrigue me. I mean, double bass is so widely used nowadays, that speed is indeed one of the points most talked about when comparing drummers.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:14 AM
Platinum Member

It's reasonable to ask the question.. I guess it's just a bit juvenile.. Teenagers are impressed by that stuff and this is a more mature crowd.

I like double bass but I'm not impressed by speed, more interested in patterns that have a rhythm.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
In space, no-one can hear you scream.......................nor can they hear you drum.
The two drummers is the problem are on Earth, presumably Earth's surface..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Yes, but they would also hear their singles as faster than the stationary drummer. So who is faster?
I'm assuming the two drummers are playing singles at 200bpm relative to their own personal clocks. If that's true, the drummer who is playing fastest is the drummer moving slowest relative to the person listening/measuring the speed.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:14 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Drumming is not a contest....hockey is a contest...and winning is everything. So not buying the analogy.
I just love it when music listeners make this statement. "Music isn't a competition"? Are you serious?

From the very beginning of marketing music....it has been ALL about competition.

Competition to be the "best" local band. Competition to get signed. Competition to be #1 on the charts, Competition to have the most work or hits, Competition to write the best song, Competition to sell the most units (Grammies, etc), heck, the entire music industry was set up on the competition basis. Haha.

If we believe music isn't a competition, we need to be more honest with ourselves.

Cheers,
D
Old 12-24-2013, 05:21 PM
shemp
This message has been deleted by shemp.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggae_Mangle View Post
I liked that, MrInsanePolack. The "Cookie Monster" vocals fit the music and the whole production was really tight. I like the drumming too, very classy and old school. Not a big fan of blast beats myself.

Reminds me a bit of Suffocation.

As of now, you're in the lead for the "competition". Would have liked to see a video though :)
If I had a video to share I would. I don't a camera at this time. Soon, hopefully, very soon.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:43 PM

A lot of good points, but while Mr Pert or beetles may be YOUR cup of tea.. its not everyone's.

Id MUCH rather listen to a guy like Roddy hammer out on the kit for an hour than Pert.

I also love listing to stuff some of the extreme metal guys are doing. Guys like John Longstreth and the like have made me look at ways of pushing myself further because I know its possible..... If no one pushes the envelope everyone will just be complacent with how things are and nothing new or innovative will ever happen.

Theres a reason why people go to watch fast drummers and follow them. differnt strokes for different folks.

Also.. bands like the beetles are so popular because of the lack of bands back then and lack of social media and the industry.... their's MILLIONS of bands out there now and its hard to become a modern day dinosaur. If the beetles never existed in their time and formed in this day and age they wouldn't be known to the point they are. (not trashing the beetles, just making a point)
Old 12-24-2013, 06:57 PM
shemp
This message has been deleted by shemp.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
If any drummer wants to be a speed demon...there is nothing wrong with it, but what really turns heads is being innovative; different; bring something to the table that is different....speed has been done ad infinitum; played out...if you want to be a follower, then work on being the fastest

If you want to be revered and have the staying power of decades, speed is not the answer. Drumming fast does not make ****music**** enjoyable. It may satisfy an ego or satisfy something that says "Look at me; I'm fast"...and thats just silly, to be honest...if one wants to compete to be the fastest, knock it out, but the returns, aside from ego satisfaction, are not many or very musical.
I have to disagree. Speed leads to innovation. Without the quest for speed we would all be still doing the same things. Speed is almost the defining factor of innovation in every industry. Racing is what breeds the new technology that we find in our commuter cars. The computer industry is always looking to have the fastest processors. Speed is extremely important in sports. Businesses take how long something takes to make into consideration, aka speed of production. We have fast food. It is fast for a reason.

If you don't like a certain genre of music, or what a particular band is doing, that's fine. But just because they go fast doesn't mean they haven't done something new or interesting. I will agree that some bands do sound similar, and if you aren't into what is happening in that area of the musical world I can see where it would be considered drab or unoriginal. Personally, I can say the same things about many bands that are loved by the masses. It isn't because they aren't good, it is because I don't care for what they are doing.

You had posted somewhere that you like Slayer. They are fast, and were at the start of a whole new area of music. Were not they innovative?
Old 12-24-2013, 10:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I have to disagree. Speed leads to innovation. Without the quest for speed we would all be still doing the same things. Speed is almost the defining factor of innovation in every industry. Racing is what breeds the new technology that we find in our commuter cars. The computer industry is always looking to have the fastest processors. Speed is extremely important in sports. Businesses take how long something takes to make into consideration, aka speed of production. We have fast food. It is fast for a reason.

If you don't like a certain genre of music, or what a particular band is doing, that's fine. But just because they go fast doesn't mean they haven't done something new or interesting. I will agree that some bands do sound similar, and if you aren't into what is happening in that area of the musical world I can see where it would be considered drab or unoriginal. Personally, I can say the same things about many bands that are loved by the masses. It isn't because they aren't good, it is because I don't care for what they are doing.

You had posted somewhere that you like Slayer. They are fast, and were at the start of a whole new area of music. Were not they innovative?
Yes, i do and they were; key words being highlighted.

My opinion is not what is important here though...there was a time where the quest for speed was sentient; meaningful and boy have lots of guys achieved some amazing stuff. New players into the field, if they want to be innovative and be onto something new, are likely not going to find it through speed.

To be honest, and for what it is worth, at my age, 50, I was right there digging all of the metal and still do. A band like Amon Amarth; I love that shit.

So it's not that I don't like the music that leads me to my discourse on the topic..
Old 12-24-2013, 10:58 PM
WhoIsTony?
This message has been deleted by WhoIsTony?.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:20 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondbetrayal View Post
Id MUCH rather listen to a guy like Roddy hammer out on the kit for an hour than Pert.
Haha...thanks but, why god why would you want to do that? LoL.

I think I can speak for most of the "faster" metal drummers (because I know most of them very well) and say that at no point did any of say to ourselves "I want to be the fastest".

I think this is where the point of the music gets lost to those that aren't playing it.

For me, it was always about energy and playing as "intense" as possible. I just happened to gain speed as an end result of music....not the other way around. And, it's the same for most of the drummers doing this style professionally.

The only people I see that make it into "who's faster", etc are the people outside... looking in.

When I came onto the scene in the mid 90s I recorded a record with a band named Malevolent Creation called "In Cold Blood".
At the time....it was the most intense, furious and most relentless drumming on a recording up to that point.
Because of that...I would hear, he's the fastest a lot. But, It wasn't because thats what I set out to do....that's what the music required to get the desired effect I (and the band) was going for.
Of course, that being the most intense drumming record didn't last very long and within several months another drummer recorded something on the next level.
That's the way it works with this style of music. Something you don't get outside of it but, there are other ways that bands like the Beatles, etc pushed themselves...all for the same end result. Music.

D
Old 12-25-2013, 12:13 AM
Renegade

Some really interesting posts here. Mr IP, no doubt speed is one way of opening up new territory.

Derek, really liked your post. Whenever I hear today's metal players talk about how they feel about the music it seems almost exactly the same as how we felt in the early 70s with Jimi, Zep, Purple, Sabbath etc ... everyone strove for max intensity and speed was an essential part of that.

I suspect many players who put speed first are attracted to the numbers - being able to tangibly measure progress and the numbers provides ready comparison.

The other thing about speed is that, if you don't use it, you lose it. When I returned to playing in my middle age I didn't want to go back to playing hard and heavy - I wanted to play music that was more relaxed and quirky than stimulating and exciting. After the break I noticed I'd lost a lot of speed anyway and it hasn't come back (which is fine).

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-25-2013, 12:17 AM
Platinum Member

"Speed is almost the defining factor of innovation in every industry."

The mind boggles when I consider race horses and stud farming.

Merry Christmas everyone. And just allow me to quote Chester Thompson. "Fast and sloppy is still sloppy."
Old 12-25-2013, 12:31 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post
For me, it was always about energy and playing as "intense" as possible. I just happened to gain speed as an end result of music....not the other way around. And, it's the same for most of the drummers doing this style professionally....

...The only people I see that make it into "who's faster", etc are the people outside... looking in.
That's the way it works with this style of music. Something you don't get outside of it but, there are other ways that bands like the Beatles, etc pushed themselves...all for the same end result. Music.

That's a word of gold Derek... MUSIC... it has to be the driving factor, whatever style you play.

I remember years ago being fascinated by Cozy Powell, the energy, the purposeful character of his drumming, the charisma and the... speed, I was hooked :)
Old 12-25-2013, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I can play 16th notes at 200 BPM with just my forehead.

Ex-girlfriend joke overload in progress
Old 12-25-2013, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
"Speed is almost the defining factor of innovation in every industry."

The mind boggles when I consider race horses and stud farming.

Merry Christmas everyone. And just allow me to quote Chester Thompson. "Fast and sloppy is still sloppy."
In my former profession, "slow is smooth, smooth is fast".
Old 12-25-2013, 05:38 AM
"Uncle Larry"

There's room for everybody in music. Music is so personal and each generation is entitled to their music, even if the older generations can't see the point in it. As it has been since time immemorial. There will always be a faction of people on both "sides" of this particular (non) issue. Some people like a blur of notes, and others like some space in between the notes. Great! We're all on the same team still. No one is superior here. It's all simply a matter of preference.

An exercise in acceptance goes a long way here, especially from the older generation who really should be setting an example for the younger generation. It's so easy to regard anything other than your own preference in music as garbage. Kind of negative there. It's just foreign and unfamiliar, that's all. It's so easy to get closed minded as you age, you have to be very vigilant with yourself so this isn't allowed to happen. Unless you want to become bitter. If you (collectively speaking) were raised with the music you "hate"... you'd be all over it. So you can't fault a whole generations music. It's valid to them, just as yours was valid to you. You can't fault someone for trying to push past limits, that's what life and growth are all about. It's all about respect and acceptance.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
There's room for everybody in music. Music is so personal and each generation is entitled to their music, even if the older generations can't see the point in it. As it has been since time immemorial. There will always be a faction of people on both "sides" of this particular (non) issue. Some people like a blur of notes, and others like some space in between the notes. Great! We're all on the same team still. No one is superior here. It's all simply a matter of preference.

An exercise in acceptance goes a long way here, especially from the older generation who really should be setting an example for the younger generation. It's so easy to regard anything other than your own preference in music as garbage. Kind of negative there. It's just foreign and unfamiliar, that's all. It's so easy to get closed minded as you age, you have to be very vigilant with yourself so this isn't allowed to happen. Unless you want to become bitter. If you (collectively speaking) were raised with the music you "hate"... you'd be all over it. So you can't fault a whole generations music. It's valid to them, just as yours was valid to you. You can't fault someone for trying to push past limits, that's what life and growth are all about. It's all about respect and acceptance.
Yeah, but their music still sucks ;)

KIDDING, kidding......
Old 12-25-2013, 06:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Yeah, but their music still sucks ;)

KIDDING, kidding......
There's a truth behind every joke. There's animosity between the older close minded people like bo and the younger closed minded metal people because neither of them show either any appreciation for their efforts. You see it everyday on youtube. They're two different hero systems.

Bo has been playing drums his whole life and in his mind his style is the ultimate, but the young people don't understand that, and bo might get annoyed when some young punk isn't impressed by his sensible, minimalist style, but rather some dude jack hammering away. And young punks will get annoyed when bo slags off their music. It's a battlefield.

I try to be open minded but I don't try to like anything. Sometimes music is just crap.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
There's a truth behind every joke. There's animosity between the older close minded people like bo and the younger closed minded metal people because neither of them show either any appreciation for their efforts. You see it everyday on youtube. They're two different hero systems.

Bo has been playing drums his whole life and in his mind his style is the ultimate, but the young people don't understand that, and bo might get annoyed when some young punk isn't impressed by his sensible, minimalist style, but rather some dude jack hammering away. And young punks will get annoyed when bo slags off their music. It's a battlefield.

I try to be open minded but I don't try to like anything. Sometimes music is just crap.
Well, I try not to have that much animosity, and I've been trained by older pros than me to be hip to the new stuff. My older teachers called it "defensive listening", but that might be too harsh of a term. As Tony Williams said, if you're artist with a capital A, then that means you'll at least check it out. That's what I try to do all the time. It took me a while to find out who Jojo Mayer and Benny Greb are, and I love those guys.

I don't get too annoyed when younger guys don't dig what I like. As I get older I realize that those young guns will eventually be on my side of the fence anyway. So its all good.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:14 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
There will always be a faction of people on both "sides" of this particular (non) issue. Some people like a blur of notes, and others like some space in between the notes. Great! We're all on the same team still.
One thing I see happening a good deal is similar to the statement above. We have a tendency to "pick" a side or team, (and I do realize you said "fraction" of each) when in reality...there are WAY more drummers who prefer both....space and notes.

Why does nobody bring up those types of drummers? After all, they are the majority.

We are always drawing lines in the sand and putting "types" of drummers on either side when I've found that well over half appreciate Both sides.I know I do....and, most of the drummers I speak with do as well.

I've always wondered why we as musicians (and people in general) draw these lines and what overall purpose they serve other than starting arguments? Haha.

I understand that not every drummer who plays a bunch of notes does it well.... and there are also drummers who use a lot of space that don't do it very well.

There was a statement earlier in this thread in which someone kept saying....just because it's fast doesn't make it better music. Well, I say just because it is fast.....doesn't mean it's bad either.
Understanding the difference between good fast music and bad fast music... is the same as understanding the difference in good and bad slow music.

D
Old 12-25-2013, 03:13 PM
Senior Consultant

Asking who is the fastest drummer is like asking who is the strongest football player. While speed does not automatically equal great drumming and strength doesn't automatically mean ability on the playing field, they are both large elements of the physical aspect of the respective disciplines. They are valid topics of conversation.

I play in a metal band as well as a rock band. The speed and ability I have gained from playing years of fast stuff makes the "normal" rock stuff come out so much smoother. Truth is you need to be able to relax to play fast and that relaxation comes across even when not going fast.

Derek nailed it. It's not either-or. Drummers who play fast can also move to Bernard Purdie's groove and groove-meisters can also shake their heads at Derek's double bass.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:10 PM
Silver Member

Fast music can be good.....personally, there is a lot of fast music I enjoy. I contend that the notion of "who is fastest", which is the subject of the thread, is immaterial. Onward from that, aspiring to be the fastest will not necessarily create good or even enjoyable music. And onward from that, if there is a young aspiring drummer that is going to take a stab at a career in drumming...speed may not be the parameter that will separate them from the pack and get them noticed, revered, and working. There is nothing wrong with being fast, but it has been done many times over...we've heard it many times over....and when we are talking about music, not sports, the notion of being the fastest seems to be a concern that is a bit misplaced.

We have digressed into the merits of fast music....but that is not the point....the point was who is the fastest....which is really pointless.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:12 PM

At this point in the discussion, I would like to raise a practical question, are we going to have a fastest dw drummer thread?

Wait a minute, wasn't that was this thread was supposed to be?
Old 12-26-2013, 04:51 AM

Quote:
. . . . . . There is nothing wrong with being fast, but it has been done many times over...we've heard it many times over....
Have we not heard "slow" even more? It has been done many times over as well ;)

Quote:
. . . and when we are talking about music, not sports, the notion of being the fastest seems to be a concern that is a bit misplaced.
Most of us probably agree with that, but in this case the discussion seems to be less of a "concern" and just a lighthearted discussion.

Quote:
We have digressed into the merits of fast music....but that is not the point....the point was who is the fastest....which is really pointless.
It's not pointless. Aspiring to be the fastest for the sake of it may be pointless, but players' ability to reach high speeds and apply that ability is worth discussing, just for fun if nothing else, which is how I interpreted the original question.

I probably would have phrased the question who are the fastest rather than who is the fastest, which of course is Chuck Norris.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:59 AM
Platinum Member

How about, "who's the fastest drummer you can stand?"
Old 12-26-2013, 05:18 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud7h4 View Post
Have we not heard "slow" even more? It has been done many times over as well ;)

Most of us probably agree with that, but in this case the discussion seems to be less of a "concern" and just a lighthearted discussion.

It's not pointless. Aspiring to be the fastest for the sake of it may be pointless, but players' ability to reach high speeds and apply that ability is worth discussing, just for fun if nothing else, which is how I interpreted the original question.

I probably would have phrased the question who are the fastest rather than who is the fastest, which of course is Chuck Norris.
My thoughts on the topic of speed in drumming are likely a bit rigid, I agree.....although, judging by the number of respondents or entries into the ring for who is the fastest at DW, it seems that my "who cares" attitude may be shared by others....which seems to indicate at least *some* validity to the idea that being the fastest is pointless.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Silver Member

With Derek Roddy showing up on this thread, the odds of MY being the fastest drummer on DW have become just sickening.

C'mon, guys. It's a joke. A gag. Like who's the fastest drummer on DW? Put up your dukes!

After we settle this, we can have a "Who's grumpiest on DW" thread/contest. I predict everyone will win in spades and the major topic of debate will be how grumpy doesn't matter if you're a good drummer.

Self confidence. Desire. Will to win. Altius Sitius Fortius! This is SPARRTAAAAA! Pow! Kapow!

If you choose not to compete, we all believe it's because you're not scared.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:18 PM
Administrator

*altius, citius, fortius*
(Or, more frequently, in this order: citius, altius, fortius)

But we get the idea ;-)
Old 12-26-2013, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have to disagree. Speed leads to innovation. Without the quest for speed we would all be still doing the same things. Speed is almost the defining factor of innovation in every industry.
No, without speed we'd be doing different things. Speed doesn't necessarily lead to innovation, speed of execution is a kind of innovation. Besides, is mechanized industry the right metaphor here? We're talking about artistic expression, not factories. We're talking about tempo not speed.

Beethoven wasn't always faster than Mozart who wasn't always faster than Bach. Bop was faster than Swing but Cool Jazz was slower than Bop. Coltrane could burn but I'd say you don't get 'Trane unless you've heard his Ballads album. It's doubtful that the highly interactive trio concept of Bill Evans, Scott Lafaro and Paul Motian would've worked at breakneck Bop tempos. There just isn't enough time to think and react when you're going hell-for-leather. Rocksteady and Reggae followed on from Ska and Bluebeat and one of the key changes was a slowing of tempo. Some have alleged that one of the key factors in the change from Ska to Rocksteady was a particularly hot summer in 1966. The rising temperatures made dancing quickly uncomfortable so the tempos were slowed and the movements changed. So, in this case, we actually have the formula you're proposing reversed: slower movement lead to musical innovation. The movement from Rocksteady to Reggae was influenced by a host of social and political factors, but one of the key musical results was even slower tempos. Slower tempos meant, for instance, that the bass players had more room to improvise and innovate rhythmically. There are countless other examples of slower tempos being key parts of musical innovation just as there are examples where an increase in tempo was a key factor.

Here's a good example of this: when DJs started speeding up old funk, hip-hop and breakbeat records they created Jungle and Drum and Base. Of course, when some of the same DJs then took their Jungle and DnB albums and played them at 33 minus 8, they created a whole new texture and sound. Eventually, Downtempo became all the rage and even congealed into a distinct genre. It also laid the foundation for the emergence of Dubstep a few years ago. Here we see a movement in tempo up and down being a part of a cycle of innovation.

Artists and composers chiefly use tempo to create mood and intensity (thanks to Derek Roddy for adding this word to the discussion) not merely to demonstrate speed of technical execution or because moving their hands quickly makes them more innovative. You can innovate playing slowly. Tempo is just one of the elements of music. There's room for innovation in harmony, melody, rhythm, meter, timbre, texture etc. All of these other elements can be platforms for innovation more or less independently of tempo or speed of physical execution. I'm reminded here of Jojo Mayer's sage comments in his MD cover interview a few years back that (paraphrased) texture is the next frontier in drumming, not speed.

Just like fast and slow tempos exist together on the same album or even in the same song, genres which focus on fast and slow tempos exist side by side during the same time periods, each pushing their sound into new territory.

Last edited by Boomka; 12-26-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
We're talking about tempo not speed.
We are?

"Who's the fastest drummer on DrummerWorld" sounds to me like a question of speed, as in physical ability, not music tempo.

BUT, obviously you can play fast to a slow tempo, and that is often where speed really shines, i.e 32nd notes at 150 bpm vs 16ths at 300 bpm.

I'm a huge fan of groove, whether it be in metal, jazz fusion, rap, you name it. Whether I like the genre or not, I always appreciate a great groove. I love the weight of it. Generally a fast tempo does little for me. While it may contain very interesting playing, a fast tempo usually feels weaker to me (has no bottom, no punch), and best serves to build tension or act as a transition or bridge.

Last edited by bud7h4; 12-27-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud7h4 View Post
We are?

"Who's the fastest drummer on DrummerWorld" sounds to me like a question of speed, as in physical ability, not music tempo.

BUT, obviously you can play fast to a slow tempo, and that is often where speed really shines, i.e 32nd notes at 150 bpm vs 16ths at 300 bpm.

I'm a huge fan of groove, whether it be in metal, jazz fusion, rap, you name it. Whether I like the genre or not, I always appreciate a great groove. I love the weight of it. Generally a fast tempo does little for me. While it may be contain very interesting playing, a fast tempo usually feels weak and bottomless to me, and only serves to build tension or transition to/from a "ballsier" part of the song.
Pardon me. Perhaps I should've said, "we should be talking tempo, not speed." My bad. As you say, "speed" in this case is relative to musical context. Of course physical execution of fast tempos and subdivisions is necessary to musical mastery. I just think we need to always frame what we're doing in the context of musical expression, not gymnastics.

Anyway, I know I'm not the fastest guy here. Probably not by a long stretch.

Last edited by Boomka; 12-26-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
Asking who is the fastest drummer is like asking who is the strongest football player. While speed does not automatically equal great drumming and strength doesn't automatically mean ability on the playing field, they are both large elements of the physical aspect of the respective disciplines. They are valid topics of conversation.

I play in a metal band as well as a rock band. The speed and ability I have gained from playing years of fast stuff makes the "normal" rock stuff come out so much smoother. Truth is you need to be able to relax to play fast and that relaxation comes across even when not going fast.

Derek nailed it. It's not either-or. Drummers who play fast can also move to Bernard Purdie's groove and groove-meisters can also shake their heads at Derek's double bass.
This is what I hear time and time again from really great drummers, so I think working on speed is a valid use of practice time
Old 12-27-2013, 04:53 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Who's the fastest drummer on Drummerworld? (off topic)

I could never be the fastest but I always aim to be tasteful. 2 of my favourite drummers are Virgil and Gavin and they know when to play double bass and what sounds good.

This wasn't prepared and there are a few more patterns that I play but I'll contribute this little recording of a jam I had with a random guitarist last week:

https://soundcloud.com/drecor/sebas-jam
Old 12-27-2013, 05:56 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdrummer View Post
At this point in the discussion, I would like to raise a practical question, are we going to have a fastest dw drummer thread?
We already did. Derek showed up and everyone folded. Game over.

So now the thread is blossoming :) To me Derek's comment about intensity is the crux of the biscuit. Also Boomka's point about how slower tempos allow more time to think and react.

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-27-2013, 06:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
Edit: Not sure how I ended up as the thread starter here... I'm guessing the original first post was deleted? wtf?
Saw your name and came back to the start to figure it out myself. Still none the wiser.

Strange!!
Old 12-27-2013, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Here's the same thread, but on topic / the non-derailed version:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=112909
Please post there if you want to contribute something on-topic.

It's unfair to the original poster to have derailed his thread so I decided to split the thread.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
Edit: Not sure how I ended up as the thread starter here... I'm guessing the original first post was deleted? wtf?
God work in mysterious ways....

Old 12-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member

The "On Topic" discussion has 19 posts.

The "Off Topic" discussion has 77 posts.

Heh.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:01 AM
Silver Member

Post counts do not a thread make. Or maybe they do. This was my thread. My thread has been Shanghai'ed.

As far as speed in music, different horses for different courses. Look at some of the younger kids these days, music is measure in terms of the brutalz. That implies speed and a lot of the time when new and upcoming drummers are felicitated, it's on account of complexity, speed and execution. Look at Chris Adler for example. Not particularly fast, but quite complex.

In fact, perhaps that could make another thread: who can play the most complex things rhythms on drummerworld. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, I mean, why play complex for the sake of being complex? And we'd have another round of debate.

None of this is to say groove, dynamics and tasteful playing have no place in drumming. The money beat has been around forever and will probably last forever too. I just don't think speed does not have a place in drumming either.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:55 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggae_Mangle View Post
After we settle this, we can have a "Who's grumpiest on DW" thread/contest. I predict everyone will win in spades and the major topic of debate will be how grumpy doesn't matter if you're a good drummer.
And the winner is............
Attached Images