DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 12-18-2013, 03:53 PM

Default Best Amp for Roland TD-30KV

Just picked up my Roland TD-30KV the other night. Been a long time coming. Anyways, was wondering what people's thoughts are for an amp that can be used both at home and at gigs. Venues mostly pertaining to local bars and what not.

I've heard and read a lot of great reviews on the Simmons DA200S. Sounds like it has what I am looking for. A lot of bottom end, to handle all of the deep beautiful sounds of the TD30, mid and high ranges to allow the cymbals to pull through.

Anyone out there have a suggestion comparable to the Simmons DA200S?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Best Amp for Roland TD-30KV

I have the Simmons but I wouldn't call it a great amp. Its an amp that does the job fairly well for a basement, but it is not a good amp for any type of light gigging. Maybe a coffee house, but anything larger than that and it will be sorely lacking.

Overall its fine, but I find its mids to be non-existant, and its highs are a bit too tinny. The bass is nice, and it can give a good thump with the bass drum. You can pick up satellite speakers for it that will give you some cleaner mids and highs and plug them right in to the Simmons, so there is some hope there. Overall, I prefer using headphones with my TD-30KV, but if I have people over and they want to hear what I'm playing the Simmons works.

In case you were wondering, the Roland amps don't do much better and cost much more. Bang for buck, the Simmons is pretty good.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:39 PM

Thanks Tommy, for the detailed response. Yea, I am gonna steer clear of Roland amps. I've heard a lot of the same from other people too. Not as good of an amp at a higher price tag. Right now, I am thinking about the Simmons, until I hear or hear of something better.

Thanks again.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Gold Member

Get a (or a pair of) powered 3 way 15" PA speakers.

I use Mackie 1530's for the drums and the band PA.

The 15" speakers are plenty for the low end.