DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-15-2013, 01:30 AM
Silver Member

Default Head comparisons

I thought I would post my experience comparing some snare drum heads in the hope it may help someone. I comparied an Aquarian textured coated with a Remo ambassdor and an Evans G1 on a 13x6 1/2 Ludwig maple snare. All the heads were coated.

The Aquarian was very durable. The coating never chipped off at all after months of playing. Because of the thicker coating I had to hit a little harder to get the head to open up though. This head gives a mid range tone.

Next was the Evans. The coating on this head is much like the Aquarian, very durable. I had to hit harder with this head as well to get it to fully open up because of the thicker coating.This head had the darkest tone of the 3 heads. It was also very warm sounding.

Next was the remo. The coating started chipping of right away so if you play a lot of brush work you may want to consider this. But because of the thinner coating I didn't have to hit as hard to get it to open up. It also had a brighter sound then both the Aquarian and Evans (much brighter then the Evans). This is my favorite head of the 3 by far. For me it is the most expressive of the 3 heads.

The reason why I tried all these heads is because I played Remo for years and I wanted to see if I liked the other brands better. After my testing I've decided I like the Remo heads the best.

I hope this helps anyone who may be thinking about trying a different brand of head.

God bless!
Old 12-15-2013, 05:11 AM

Default Re: Head comparisons

Awesome post, very helpful..appreciate the insight man. I've found Aquarian to be very durable for my toms, but nothing sounds better than a Remo Ambassador snare head.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:45 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Head comparisons

Thanks man! Glad I could offer my thoughts on these heads.