DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-13-2013, 01:39 PM

Default Suggestions for batter heads

OK, so I've been looking for heads with the following sound qualities:

For the snare - Warm, wet(?) and meaty.

For the toms and bass : Deep, punchy, meaty with mid to mid-low level of attack.

Suggestions from any brand is acceptable, but I prefer heads from Evans or Remo, as those two are the only companies whose heads that I can try out in person without having to travel 700 miles or something.

Last edited by XG65; 12-13-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Suggestions for batter heads

First, I love the descriptor "warm, wet, and meaty." I seriously love it.

I've been using an Evans Genera HD Dry on my snare recently, and while it's not my cup of tea, it give a nice warm, fat sound when tuned just a little low. For me, it lacks the "crack" I'm capable of getting with a coated Ambassador. But that fatness might be more what you're looking for.

I've never experimented much with my tom batters, but a pretty standard deep and punchy head is the Remo Pinstripe. I've never played one that's sounded bad. They're easy to tune, and muffle the drum just enough to get a fat, booming sound without any ringing or overtones.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Silver Member

Snare: Coated Ambassador over Hazy 300

Toms: G2 / G1

This is a recipe that I've tried to deviate from and I still keep coming back....these combos are not *better* than anything else, but they are different and that different sounds the best to me.

I feel the Level 360 stuff is an improvement as well...in my use of them to date, they seem to hug the drum when put on there...almost like a magnetic attraction :-)
Old 12-14-2013, 02:50 AM

Thanks for the replies, you two... :)

Any suggestions for batter heads for bass drums? I'm looking for the same qualities as with the toms...
Old 12-14-2013, 03:38 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Warm wet and meaty to me conjures a 6.5 deep snare with a coated emp over an ambassador hazy ...but the most important thing in getting that sound is how you tune it. Reso tight tight tight and batter tuned medium low to low depending on taste. Snares not too tight.

As far as BD head, depends on if you port, if you muffle, if you port and muffle, if you run wide open...bass drum size wouldn't hurt....not enough info.

No matter what I like a clear Emad 1 with no foam ring, just that black ring holder thingy, and tuned just above, just above wrinkle (JAJAW) with a full front regular ole 10 mil single ply head in the film of your choice, tuned so when you thump it... it sounds like a timpani. Meaning kinda tight.

You asked!
Old 12-14-2013, 04:20 AM
Platinum Member

Warm, wet and meaty reminds me more of a CS Black Dot, or coated reverse dot (which is what I play) over a snare side Amb.

Deep, punchy and meaty? How about some Black Chrome? I hear good things about those and they are described much in the same way you are describing the sound you're after. Haven't tried them myself. I would say that my drums are indeed deep, punchy and meaty, but I play square sized 12/13/16 power toms with coated Emps over thin Genera Clear resos. Gives it that shorter punch with thinner resos. The depth of the tom makes it meaty, and the Emps are famous for their warmth. I'm happy! Good luck.

My only advice for a BD is to use a two-ply for the batter and a muffled single in front (like an Emad). I use a little acoustic foam inside too. 1'x depth maybe.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:50 AM

Hmmm. I'll have a look into that...

Anyways, are G2s suitable for obtaining the aforementioned qualities on the snare?

At the local drum store, they have a lot of G2s for some reason... Some of the heads that are suggested in the thread are not available at the store... during my last visit there anyways.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:49 PM

You should be able to get that sound out of a G2. One of the kits I play on regularly has a G2 on the snare, tuned pretty low, and it sounds good and fat.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paravil View Post
You should be able to get that sound out of a G2. One of the kits I play on regularly has a G2 on the snare, tuned pretty low, and it sounds good and fat.
Does it have a "thwack" kind of sound....?
Old 12-15-2013, 01:46 PM

The snare I play it on is tuned low and fat. I think if you follow larryace's tuning suggestions above, you can get that sound you want. It depends too on the drum itself. But the G2s are definitely capable.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Warm, wet and meaty reminds me more of a CS Black Dot, or coated reverse dot (which is what I play) over a snare side Amb.

Deep, punchy and meaty? How about some Black Chrome? I hear good things about those and they are described much in the same way you are describing the sound you're after. Haven't tried them myself. I would say that my drums are indeed deep, punchy and meaty, but I play square sized 12/13/16 power toms with coated Emps over thin Genera Clear resos. Gives it that shorter punch with thinner resos. The depth of the tom makes it meaty, and the Emps are famous for their warmth. I'm happy! Good luck.

My only advice for a BD is to use a two-ply for the batter and a muffled single in front (like an Emad). I use a little acoustic foam inside too. 1'x depth maybe.
Does it have any audible attack? I like my toms with medium levels of attack...