DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Old 12-07-2013, 01:45 PM

Default Advice on medium level Hihats?

I'm investing in my first proper set of cymbals after upgrading from an electric kit and I was wondering what hi hats I should get? I don't have the greatest budget: got under 200 pound, so I'm in the UK, so take into account the difference in currency, for example, I could get a pair of new Sabian AAX hats off of ebay.com for $289 (176) but on ebay.co.uk a similar set would cost me 291 ($475), which in my mind is ridiculous. Also, if I was to buy from America, or otherwise, I would have to pay import costs...

Anyway, there are a few cymbals i'm considering and they are:
  • Paiste Alpha sound edge 14"
  • Meinl Classics Custom 14"
  • Paiste Pst8 sound edge 14"
  • Istanbul Agop Xist 14"
I understand that these are all new models and people will probably suggest searching for preowned sets but the final bid always exceeds my budget, however, I will take all advice.

Any suggestions and comments are welcome.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Advice on medium level Hihats?

The PST8 Sound Edge sound excellent to my ears. But I always lean toward the sound of Paiste cymbals, whether they're the top, semi-pro or budget lines. I never heard the PST8s in person, but I really like what I hear on videos. If you hear them on a video and really like it, you can be sure that any other pair will sound very close to those, since Paiste is good at making consistent sounding cymbals within a line.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

A lot of this is personal preference. I find the Paistes in this range to be a little hard and glassy for my taste. I prefer the Xist, myself. I am not familiar with this Meinl series.

Your tastes may vary, but to me the Xist sounds more like a tradition B20 turkish-type cymbal and the Paistes are more modern. I like 2002s OK, but the Alpha and PST8 lack the finesse and subtlety of the 2002s.

Any of the ones you listed are decent enough not to handicap your playing and development. Pick the best deal and play on.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Silver Member

Of the ones on your list the only ones I have tried the Meinl Classics Customs and they do sound very classy. I would be happy to use those, they seemed pretty versatile when I played them.

Also worth considering used Zildjian New Beats (they come up on ebay UK pretty often, and they are pretty likeable for many styles).
Old 12-09-2013, 02:25 PM

I noe My favs are the mienl byzance extra dry 14 inch hihats the sabian evolution hhx hihats and hhx sabian click hats ...there prices range through mid to highend
Old 12-09-2013, 02:42 PM
The Old Hyde

I own the Paiste Alpha Metal Sound Edge hats so I can only comment on them. I really like the way they sound, the chink from my foot is loud and cuts through more than my New Beats. Playing washy or tight, they make the sound I was looking for. The online sound clips on the Paiste web site are accurate to the sound in person. Trust your ears on that one.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:10 PM

Zildjian's 15" ZHT Mastersound hats are amazing for the buck. I'd love to have a pair, myself.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:40 PM

I'd go with the Alphas, they won't break the bank but are super respectable and sound really nice. Great value. But really you should try them all and see what you like the best.