DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-31-2014, 02:12 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Anyone use huge stick sizes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Like baseball bats, one size does not fit all. I will caution everyone with the propensity to arthritis, especially the olde lads like me, be careful. Those big sticks will, over time, kill your hands. I have gone to smaller lighter sticks to save my hands.

Massage for CTS, Chinese Tui Na will take care of it. Also most drummers suffer form overextended teres major and minor muscles, and stretch them the wrong way for relief.

Arthritis is nothing more than calcium crystals around your joints, diet and massage will affect change. No drummer should have arthritis, thats an imbalance. The crystals can/should be broken up, attack.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:12 AM
Silver Member

I play in a really loud band. My hands hurt less with bigger sticks. I don't need to grip as tight and my playing is a lot more relaxed. It seems like I am working a lot less..
Old 01-31-2014, 08:44 AM
Silver Member

I use Pro Mark 2B for everything. My philosophy is very simple- if I can hold it comfortably then I can control it fully. Yes, I can play dinner jazz with those sticks just as well as playing a loud rock gig.

Best Regards,
Bill Ray
http://billraydrums.com
Old 01-31-2014, 08:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Those big sticks will, over time, kill your hands.

Kill your gear too
Not if you switch to maple sticks, they don't. ;-)
Old 01-31-2014, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar92010 View Post
I started at Promark 808s, went to 2B's, now at 2S's. 17" long and .695 diameter without much taper and big heads. Each time I went up in size, they felt uncomfortable for about a day, then I got used to them, and don't like the feel of the smaller sticks anymore.....so...

I just ordered some Promark 3S marching sticks--17" long and .728 diameter. I'm not sure why but I just really like the hefty feel of weight, and the particular balance those large sticks have. Anyone else feel that way?
I use the 2S sticks on that gig I do, but it's a necessary evil since I'm using these huge gloves and have to play as loud as I can. It took me a while to get used to them. But when I marched drum corps, I was using 3S-type sticks all the time, although I find those a little too thick for me these days. I say if it helps you play better and gives you the sound you want, more power to ya' ;)
Old 01-31-2014, 10:14 PM
Silver Member

A Pro-Mark 2S is only .630 in diameter,the same as a 2B.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
I have played nearly every size and diameter of stick under the sun. I have small hands but I have found that smaller sticks don't work for me in certain situations -- my hands will feel like they're losing their grip and so I get the death claw grip, which makes it worse.

If you're a big guy with big hands, a big stick makes sense, but a big stick doesn't have to mean hard playing any more than a small stick means you are only going to play softly. (Within structural limits of the stick, of course. Try playing arena rock with a Vic Firth SD5 Echo and see what happens.)
I know exactly what you mean about the death claw grip. That's something I've always had to be careful with, particularly when playing live (where there isn't always time to warm up). I've played a few gigs with the 2Bs since I first posted here, and my hands have felt great during and after the gig. No hand pain, and I'm able to play as dynamically as ever (one gig was at a small bar where I really have to watch the volume, the 2Bs went right with me). The Vic 2B tapers out nicely to the tip, its actually a very responsive stick IMO. I think I'm sold on bigger sticks, so I'm going to check out a few other 2Bs and maybe the SD1 Generals as well. I'll report back here with my findings (if anyone really cares what sticks I'm playing lol).
Yamaha 700 series hardware

Last edited by gish; 03-29-2014 at 05:13 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:14 AM
Silver Member

I want a pair of these like Buffin has:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTQy8KrPy8I

Not for playing, just for display.